New Adaptive Lighting Integration

So you are turning smart bulbs off by cutting power to them?..why? That defeats the point of smart bulbs.

They are likely turning on to the last used settings and since HA didn’t turn them on (because you are cutting / restoring power to them) then they are not given the ‘new’ AL settings by HA.

Well that’s how it goes in my home. I don’t feel like having to use my phone to turn on lights when I go to bathroom or whatever. And I didn’t see wall zigbee switches that doesn’t cut the power. I have some aqara switches but those cut the power off.

I thought AL was updating brightness and temperature to any bulb every x seconds wether or not is powered on.

I guess I’m screwed

I don’t use light switch or my phone. Most of my smart lights are either motion controlled or via zigbee remotes.

Which zigbee remotes are you using if you don’t mind?

I have a combination of Xiaomi buttons and IkEA 5 button remotes. The Xiaomi were my original setup but I like the IKEA ones much better so am slowly swapping to those.

The IKEA ones are basically the same price as the Xiaomi yet have 5 buttons instead of one and I can buy them locally instead of waiting forever for the slow boat from China. IKEA ones are much better. Don’t waste your time with the Xiaomi ones.

Xiaomi

IKEA

1 Like

After you’ve cut the power to the bulbs at the switch, do they show as off or unavailable in HA?
If off, do they show a transition from off to on in HA after you’ve restored power?
If unavailable, do they show as available in HA?

Has anyone had the issue where the manual control isn’t always being detected when dimming a light by a physical switch (I’m using Shelly Dimmer 2’s)?

I’ve got ‘take_over_control’ an ‘detect_non_ha_changes’ enabled. However when I look into the logs I can see that the debug stating that ‘shelly XXX is being manually controlled, stop adapting’ doesn’t always appear and this then leads to the this integration overriding the physical switch again causing the light to dim or brighten.

I have the same issue.

Ahh bugger! That would be such an awesome feature if it worked!

NodeRed based adaptive/circadian lighting still works. TBH one of many reasons why NR is superior over many solutions : it’s resistant to constant changes in HA.

The newest HA has support for pushing Hue events so problem with lights turning on by them selves could be solved, at least for Hue.

Hi all, i’m running on Home Assistant 2021.6.2, which gives me the opportunity to check the load times of integrations. The Adaptive Lighting integration takes 12.34 seconds to load, thereby being the second-slowest loading integration. Is there any room for performance improvement? I’m running on a Raspberry Pi 4, 8Gb, docker supervised.

I use these Xiaomi Aqara Opple Zigbee switches which work great!

I have them positioned over my existing light switches using a 3D printed adapter: Xiaomi Aqara Opple Switch Cover by jarrah31 - Thingiverse

The Opple switches are paired with Zigbee2MQTT https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io

Hi,
this integration has an option to offset the sunset in order to have dimmed lights earlier and I can use automation to switch to sleep mode later in the evening.

However, what I would like to do to avoid less light before sunset (the offset option) and quick jump to sleep mode is to have an option to make the curve of the change sharper - shorter time from the sunset to dark later in the evening. Preferably changing based on the time of the year (sharper in the summer as we go sleep earlier after sunset, longer in the winter as we go sleep later after sunset).

Did anybody jump into this problem?

I use 5 Hue Wall Modules (need 7 but they’re out of stock like almost the whole time here in NL). They’re not cheap (EUR 40 per piece), but they’re so good and I can use them with my regular Jung LS990 switches (dual push buttons). So every switch has two knobs, which have infinite possibilities with ControllerX and HA. For instance: pressing once is hallway lights on, holding is adjusting brightness, pressing twice is hallway lights off and pressing three and four times is bathroom on/off and adjusting brightness. I have a variable that IF the bathroom lights are on, ONLY adjust brightness for bathroom lights. If bathroom lights are off, ONLY adjust brightness for hallway lights.

TLDR: make sure you get some good Zigbee switches ideally to replace your current dumb switches, because pressing things on the wall is still the most natural thing for everyone and you don’t want guests to toggle your smart lights with a dumb switch and mess up all your automations etc.

I have been testing it out for a number of weeks now. It has mostly been a great experience. The only drawback once everything was up and running was a single light.

It only controls three hue lights. Office 1, Office 2, and Office 3. It seems Office 1 quite commonly loses sync as the other two continue their changes. It’s about 50/50 on if the one light will play ball or not. It is connected to the network and fully controllable by everything else. It just sometimes remains at its default color as the other lights do their thing. shrug

Hey all
Love this and use it a lot now we have a new baby!! Helps to keep lights at a good level when feeding at night to not wake him up!!

One setting I’m confused about however - which I’m sure is obvious but I’m missing it

When I turn on some lights for the first time, via the power switch, it takes some time before the lights dim to their setting. So they come on full brightness then after time dim down to what they should be.

How do I speed up this process, so that a light gets its proper setting ASAP? Which value drives that in the yaml?

Yaml? Which version are you using? The latest one from here 💡 Adaptive Lighting Custom Component that automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change
or the one from the first post?

this one sorry: GitHub - basnijholt/adaptive-lighting: Adaptive Lighting custom component for Home Assistant

That one is no longer using yaml I thought? Instead it uses setup via Integrations?
If I’m wrong please ignore me :slight_smile:

Anyway, you are using the correct custom_component, that’s what I was wondering about.