New Add-on for HomeMatic/homematicIP support - Action Required

If you are using HomeMatic/homematicIP smart home products with Home Assistant, the future will now be even brighter.

The team around RaspberryMatic has been hard working during the last months to make their alternative “HomeMatic CCU“ operating system a full fledged Home Assistant Add-on with no compromises. Because of the much more advanced functionality of this third-party Add-on vs. the HA own “HomeMatic CCU” Add-on, this is now the recommended Add-on to use your Home Assistant also as a HomeMatic CCU smart home central. The old “HomeMatic CCU” Add-on from the official repository has now been deprecated. To make migration as smooth as possible, its latest release gained a final functionality: You can now export your configuration directly from its WebUI by using “Create Backup” to generate a .sbk system backup file, then stop the “HomeMatic CCU” Add-on, install the “RaspberryMatic CCU” Add-on and import the backup file so that all your HomeMatic/homematicIP devices will be available right away. A big shout-out to Jens Maus specifically to make all this happen!

In addition, starting from Home Assistant OS 7.3 onwards HAOS supports dual HomeMatic+homematicIP communication when using the HmIP-RFUSB RF USB stick with the “RaspberryMatic CCU” Add-on. This change will, however, also introduce a device rename for older installations still using the old HomeMatic CCU Add-on: With a HmIP-RFUSB, you will need to manually update the “hmip” device setting to /dev/raw-uart after the OS 7.3 upgrade. Or even better: migrate to the RaspberryMatic CCU Add-on right away to gain the full cloud-free smart home central functionality like the vendor-provided “CCU3”.

Last, not least, work has just been started to completely rework the HomeMatic/homematicIP device integration layer within Home Assistant itself. While still in an early development phase this complete re-design will come with great new features and a way easier setup and a more complete device integration of all your HomeMatic/homematicIP devices.

So the future of using HomeMatic/homematicIP devices in Home Assistant was never brighter, be part of it!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2022/02/07/improved-homematic-support/
5 Likes

Great!
Thanks Jens!

And also to the team doing the new integration.

This is great news. Many thanks!
Is it then still necessary to disable the Safe Mode to use the “HM-MOD-RPI-PCB”?

Just to be sure, I assume this is unrelated to the Homematic Integration, i.e. the integration to connect to an external CCU device? Since this seems to be about a very different use case.

Good news this has progressed so far!

Prior versions had issues with deploying hmip hap as signal repeater (docker/mDNS related). Has this been fixed? Would be awesome!

Is it then still necessary to disable the Safe Mode to use the “HM-MOD-RPI-PCB”?

@tsenger As far as I understand, with the newest OS & Supervisor version, protection mode should not be needed (or more precisely the switch should be gone)

Just to be sure, I assume this is unrelated to the Homematic Integration, i.e. the integration to connect to an external CCU device?

@cdrnet You’re correct. If you are using an external CCU, you don’t have to do anything. Only the last paragraph of the article talks about a (really great) new integration that will probably eventually replace the integration you were talking about.

Prior versions had issues with deploying hmip hap as signal repeater (docker/mDNS related).

@RT1080 AFAIK, this is not fixed yet, but is one of the things Jens wanted to address in the foreseeable future (second to last paragraph of this comment: add-on with "devices:" config entry does not allow to access device nodes anymore · Issue #2690 · home-assistant/supervisor · GitHub)
I am also waiting for this since I have two HAPs for which I had to switch from the RaspberryMatic addon to the Synology-VM version some time ago. As soon as this works, I will also immediately use the addon again, because I was otherwise very satisfied with it.

2 Likes

Same here. Would like to go to this add-on, but currently only if HAPs are working and if there is kind of HmIP-RFLAN instead of HmIP-RFUSB, as my HA is in the server rack in the basement.

This is correct. Disabling protection mode should not be necessary anymore. That’s why I have removed that option from the add-on config. However, there seems to be still cases where in the current stable version of the add-on the “rfd” might not come up correctly anymore because of a timing issue. This has been solved in the current development build. So if this problem arises you should try to use the latest snapshot version of the add-on for the time being.

Well, this issue is coming from multicast UDP usage of the DRAP and HAP devices in combination with the HMIPServer service on a CCU. There is already a ticket/issue here (HmIPW-DRAP/HmIP-HAP cannot identify RaspberryMatic as a HA addon · Issue #1373 · jens-maus/RaspberryMatic · GitHub) in the RaspberryMatic GitHub which is linked to a necessary home assistant improvement that needs to be implemented as it seems (see Using pimd · Issue #17 · home-assistant/plugin-multicast · GitHub) before HAP and DRAP support will work reliable. So hopefully @pvizeli can work on this anytime soon.

2 Likes

Then have a look for the HB-RF-ETH adapter PCB (https://smartkram.de/shop/produkte/bauteile-zentralen/platine-hb-rf-eth/) which can be used to hook a RPI-RF-MOD HomeMatic RF module to your LAN network (GitHub - alexreinert/HB-RF-ETH: Firmware for the HB-RF-ETH pcb)

Is this one supported in the new integration and do you have experiences regarding latency compared to a build in antenna?

And is it somewhere available soldered, so that it can be used ootb? I saw this before, but this requires more than plugging in a USB-stick or LAN-cable. Unfortunately, I’m not able to do this.

Well, it works stable and many homematic users are using it which cannot use a HmIP-RFUSB with an 1-2 meter USB extension cable. And yes, RaspberryMatic fully supports it (read the docs!)

No, it is not sold soldered. But I am sure you will be able to find someone that can solder these few parts for you if you are not able to do that.

1 Like

Went through the pages you have linked before and only saw debmatic, etc. and a lot of question “will RaspberryMatic support in the furuture as well”, etc. But thanks for your confirmation.

Simply study the official RaspberryMatic documentation next time, then you will see that all these “HB-RF-XXX” PCB adapters are already supported:

Quick (and potentially stupid) question: I’m using a HomematicIP Access Point and the respective HomematicIP Cloud integration. I guess that this then does not affect me, right? What would be the way to make use of this new integration (I’m running HA OS on a VM on a Ubuntu server)? I’m rather happy with the stability of what I have so far, but would of course love to have more control over my HomematicIP devices… Thanks!

Correct, if you are using the cloud integration this does not affect you.

If you want to go local, then using the RaspberryMatic Add-on would make sense. But then you’ll loose the ability the use the App to control everything, and probably also have to purchase an RF-Module. I’m not sure if the Add-On can work with only the Access Point for communication with your devices.

1 Like

Hello,
great thing, Raspberrymatic as an addon!
I have just set up the HMIP-FCI6 6-way push-button.
The switch is recognised, channel 0 provides information.
Unfortunately, an automation could not recognise a trigger.
A long search led to this solution:
An empty program on Raspberrymatic addon, i.e. no action except Retrigger required.
Then the button press is transmitted immediately.
I will attach a screenshot.

It is not clear to me whether I can / have to use your AddOn
danielperna84/custom_homematic
additionally if I have installed the Raspberrymatic AddOn.
Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, you can. custom_homematic is, in contrast to the RaspberryMatic Add-On, NOT an Add-On. It’s the new version of the HomeMatic Integration for Home Assistant. The old Integration is what is documented here. custom_homematic will eventually replace the old integration, but is still in the testing phase.

Anyways, it’s the job of the integration to integrate a product logically into Home Assistant. The RaspberryMatic Add-On does NOT do this. Just by installing the Add-On Home Assistant doesn’t know anything about your devices. You always need an integration to make them work together.

This nomenclature is very important, so please memorize it. The RM-Add-On could be a different machine, virtualized, whatever. The Integration is then configured to interact with the Add-On (or separate machine or whatever). And this concept stays true for pretty much all Add-Ons and integrations.

If you install a Database-Add-On, then you still have to configure the recorder-integration to make use of it.

Finally: you don’t have to use the new HomeMatic integration. It’s just for early adopters who are willing to test things and accept things breaking due to rewrites of the code. If you want your system to be stable (until the new integration is released), stick to the old (official) integration.

Hope this answers your questions.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast answer!
This is a part of /config/raspberrymatic.yaml:
hmip:
host: de838cd8-raspberrymatic
port: 2010
resolvenames: json
username: homeAssistant
password: XXXXXX

and this is a screenshot of my addOns.
No Homematic addon installed.
And it works. I think via the information of the config above and json-messages.
So, where ist the need for the extra integration?

The yaml-snippet you have posted is what’s documented in the link I have posted above. You’re using the builtin integration this way. So everything is ok. The new integration is way better in some parts, but for now that’s probably irrelevant for you if everything is working. Just keep it like this, and some day eventually the new integration will be shipped. Then you’ll see what’s different. :+1: