[New Addon] Samba NAS. (Mount external disk and share it )

Maybe I know the problem which due to unmounting the driver. As i see the PI sometimes restarts the USB ports. I know this is not related to this addon. But why? Have you got any idea? Maybe the electrical load is too much?

where are the usb drives mounted by default?
I managed to have the usb drive exported as samba share, but I cannot see it mountede anywhere in the file system … for example I’d like to use transmission and then find a copy of my downloads on my usb drive (hence on my samba share). Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

They’re mounted inside of the add-on only. You can use host SSH to access them.

1 Like

Just to check if i understand the documentation right :smiley:
i guess i’m totally wrong

For example at my NUC hassio setup:
1.) i check the “hardware” section and copy/paste the name of the external drive?
2.) i edit the configuration with this naming:

moredisks:
  - myExternalHDDName

3.) i restart the addon and see this mounted drive in the “file editor”?

how wrong is it? :smiley:

–> my very first problem, if i plug/unplug some external hdd on my nuc i don’t see anything in the hardware section, so i’m not sure if the hdd is mounted by the hassio system

What file system does it use? You need to use Samba’s protocol for this. You should do some research on what Samba is, and try using the first addon without NAS support.

1 Like

ah ok… i’m not nearby the system so i can’t unplug the hdd and check atm :frowning:

BUT only to understand right
Before its possible to use some external drive with your samba nas or the regular samba addon
IT SHOULD BE VISIBLE in the hassio hardware section?! And it should mounted automatically by the system itself?!

Because i assume that my hassio on a nuc is not doing this correctly
I remember that i used a lot of different formats on a external drive without beeing mounted or beeing visible in the hardware section
No matter what… always zero

Be careful of your tone. The reason this addon exists is because hassio doesn’t do that.

1 Like

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH NO NO SORRY noooo sorry!!!
Haha, help ! … please i don’t bother anyone/anything !!!

For sure, the big letters where a question!
I was asking for: How should be the setting if i plug something on my nuc!!!
Only a question to check if i’m on the right way!
Because i’ve really NO NO NO idea how the behaviour of the system should be.
The question was: Should i see anything if i plug/unplug a drive with or without the addons?

Nothing more… i’m really not in the situation to demand something
But maybe my english isn’t correct because i’m not a native speaker!

The hassio hardware tab isn’t linked to this addon. What OS do you want to access your drive from?

hmmm maybe i’m totally wrong!

My setup is a nuc with integrated drive and a hassio image as os:
I thought while using this addon i’m able (maybe) to plugin another drive (e.g. usb external ssd) and reach this new drive from hassio itself.
–> The idea was to save some bigger files on the external storage to avoid overloading the system drive.
To your question than:
The OS would be hassio itself and some additional addon like “motion eye” to catch some videos of the cameras and store it in the external drive after motion or any other trigger.

I was searching wild after recognizing that hassio isn’t able to deal with additional discs
So i thought your addon could be the solution :wink:

Nope. It uses a protocol called Samba, which is meant for accessing your drive from another computer (for windows, network > mount network drive). Theoretically you could mount localhost, but there would be lag than. I was searching wild too, eventually I put my hassio onto the bigger disk and used regular Samba, but I still watch here.

Hello, I apologise for my ignorance here, but I’m not sure I understand how to share an external drive via samba.

I have an nuc with integrated drive, I have attached a USB3 drive and formatted with with ext4. I see the drive listed as /dev/sdb (on the host system). Though I don’t see listed within “Host System” in the supervisor.

• Do I mount the drive within HASS.IO via the terminal?
  • Where should it be mounted within the HASSIO file system?
  • Does the name of the mount point become the under the moredisks option?

Is the addon intended to work under my configuration?

I can see the default shares (addons, backup, config, media, share, ssl).

You can name disks. Put your disk into a supporting machine, and give it the name you want. You do not need host access for this.

1 Like

Hello, i was able to install the addon and mount the drive. I can browse the file system, open files and copy files to my machine.
But if I try to write anything to the disk I get a “catastrophic error” 0x8000FFFF

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Something is messed up with the permissions, my files are marked as read only because I used NTFS on my previous setup. I am going to do a backup and format the disc on ext4.

1 Like

Thanks Kendell. That is the name given during disk initialisation / formatting then.

OK, so here is my filesystem. The disk I wish to share labeled “DATA_DISK”:

This is my config:

workgroup: WORKGROUP
username: hassio
password: [password goes here]
interface: ''
allow_hosts:
  - 192.168.1.0/16
moredisks:
  - DATA_DISK
veto_files:
  - ._*
  - .DS_Store
  - Thumbs.db
  - icon?
  - .Trashes
compatibility_mode: false
autodiscovery: {}

Is that all I have to do? I don’t see it as a share via samba on my network (I just see the default shares (addons, backup, config and so on). I don’t see anything in the logs.

Update:
The logs have come up and there is a reference to protection mode:

[08:15:02] INFO: Protection Mode is true

Disabled protection mode at the add-on panel. Now the disk mounts:

[08:29:33] INFO: Protection Mode is false
[08:29:33] WARNING: MoreDisk option found!
[08:29:34] INFO: More Disks mounting.. DATA_DISK
[08:29:34] INFO: Mount DATA_DISK
[08:29:34] INFO: Success!

But I cannot connect to shares anymore. “Connection Failed”. Not sure why. Nothing appears in the logs as to why the connection is failing:

Established under name 'evatt'
daemon_ready: daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
Samba name server EVATT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.17.0.1
Samba name server EVATT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.30.32.1
Samba name server EVATT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.24

Update:
It’s working! Thanks for the tip Kendell and thanks to Lucio for the awesome addon.

Just curious to know how this this done. Reading some Samba notes I see that there is a “fruit:time machine = yes” as part of the samba share config. Not sure if that can be used in this instance. Or did you guys create a sparse bundle disk image and copy that to a share?

@Lucio_Tarantino how does your plex addon work? i tried \\192.168.1.10\myshare but it says the host is down. the same mount from your samba addon works from motioneye.

in the samba nas addon logs its showing this error when plex nas is trying to connect:

Denied connection from 172.30.33.8 (172.30.33.8)
Connection denied from ipv4:172.30.33.8:55348 to ipv4:192.168.1.10:445

172.30.33.8 seems to be some docker private IP?

ah figured it out - allow_hosts in samba nas addon config needed 172.0.0.0/8

can you please tell if the plex nas addon needs protection mode off or not? it is just connecting to a samba mount so dont see the need. although it complains if it is on. also note that it says it is on even when it is off!

plex nas does not start (the webUI does not open) even after it shows “Success!” in the log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Hass.io Add-on: Plex Media Server with NAS
 Recorded media, live TV, online news, and podcasts ready to stream.
 Add-on version: 2.4.0-dht1
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: HassOS 4.12  (armv7 / raspberrypi4)
 Home Assistant Core: 0.114.2
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2020.11.0
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] plex.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] plex.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] webtools.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] webtools.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[19:51:04] INFO: Starting the Plex Media Server...
[19:51:05] INFO: Network Disks mounting.. //192.168.1.10/P4DISK
[19:51:05] INFO: Mount //192.168.1.10/P4DISK
[19:51:05] INFO: Success!

update: it does not work on the url created by ‘open webui’ -which is pointing to the duckdns host. i had to change it to my homeassistant’s private IP manually :frowning:

1 Like