[New Addon] Samba NAS. (Mount external disk and share it )

The rw rights allow also the delete. If you can’t delete but you can write the problem is not permission but other. I need some other information to understand.

• what is the fs type of your drive? ( extfs4, ntfs… )
  • what do you use as client? ( macOS, window, linux … )
  • don’t work delete or move to trash or both?

L.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I’m using a micro sd via usb which is formatted to exFAT.
Windows is showing a generic error message while android is advanced enough to let me know it’s a permission issue.

I tried a simple delete and overwrite the file with a slightly modified version of itself.

I might also add that the default file-system shared “media” directory (or any of the other default dirs for that matter) do not exhibit the issue

Hi,
I’ve already been testing this addon for some days. And I have only one problem. When I mount the driver then this driver is mounted only few hours then it is unmounting. In this situation I always restart the addon and the driver is mounted again. it wouldn’t be a huge problem if it isn’t happened when we are watching a film via Plex.
Have you got any idea what is the problem?

If you plug it in to another PC, does the same issue happen?

The problem is the use of fuse type fs in a samba share. There are many documented issue on samba forum.
I suggest you to use a native Linux fs such as ext3/4 if the problem persists can be an hw issue.

Also if you are on rpi platform a low usb power capacity can explain. Try to change usb port or check rpi power.

I need to see the addon logs after the umount. The next time it’s append can you post the logs before the reboot?

Works like a charm with ext4. Many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the log

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] automount.sh: executing... 
[17:16:47] INFO: Protection Mode is false
[17:16:48] WARNING: MoreDisk option found!
[17:16:48] INFO: More Disks mounting.. ext_media
[17:16:48] INFO: Mount ext_media
[17:16:48] INFO: Success!
[cont-init.d] automount.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] mqtt.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] mqtt.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] samba.sh: executing... 
[17:16:51] INFO: Hostname: homeassistant
tdbsam_open: Converting version 0.0 database to version 4.0.
tdbsam_convert_backup: updated /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb file.
Added user pz-ha.
[cont-init.d] samba.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[17:16:52] INFO: Starting the MQTT daemon for disks info...
[17:16:52] INFO: Starting the AVAHI daemon for homeassistant...
Server version: avahi 0.7; Host name: homeassistant.local
nmbd version 4.12.7 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2020
daemon_ready: daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
smbd version 4.12.7 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2020
INFO: Profiling support unavailable in this build.
daemon_ready: daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
[17:16:52] INFO: Sending MQTT autodiscovery...
Established under name 'homeassistant'
Samba name server HOMEASSISTANT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.17.0.1
Samba name server HOMEASSISTANT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.30.32.1
Samba name server HOMEASSISTANT is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.143
Failed to fetch record!
pcap cache not loaded
Failed to fetch record!
pcap cache not loaded
Failed to fetch record!
pcap cache not loaded
Failed to fetch record!
pcap cache not loaded
Failed to fetch record!
pcap cache not loaded

Hi everyone,

How can I integrate my NAS folder into Hassio?
So that I can access it from the media browser.
For example music.image

Try making a new topic for this or doing some Googling. It might be possible, theoretically, if you used host SSH to mount the drive to /mnt/data/supervisor/media.

Maybe I know the problem which due to unmounting the driver. As i see the PI sometimes restarts the USB ports. I know this is not related to this addon. But why? Have you got any idea? Maybe the electrical load is too much?

where are the usb drives mounted by default?
I managed to have the usb drive exported as samba share, but I cannot see it mountede anywhere in the file system … for example I’d like to use transmission and then find a copy of my downloads on my usb drive (hence on my samba share). Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

They’re mounted inside of the add-on only. You can use host SSH to access them.

1 Like

Just to check if i understand the documentation right :smiley:
i guess i’m totally wrong

For example at my NUC hassio setup:
1.) i check the “hardware” section and copy/paste the name of the external drive?
2.) i edit the configuration with this naming:

moredisks:
  - myExternalHDDName

3.) i restart the addon and see this mounted drive in the “file editor”?

how wrong is it? :smiley:

–> my very first problem, if i plug/unplug some external hdd on my nuc i don’t see anything in the hardware section, so i’m not sure if the hdd is mounted by the hassio system

What file system does it use? You need to use Samba’s protocol for this. You should do some research on what Samba is, and try using the first addon without NAS support.

1 Like

ah ok… i’m not nearby the system so i can’t unplug the hdd and check atm :frowning:

BUT only to understand right
Before its possible to use some external drive with your samba nas or the regular samba addon
IT SHOULD BE VISIBLE in the hassio hardware section?! And it should mounted automatically by the system itself?!

Because i assume that my hassio on a nuc is not doing this correctly
I remember that i used a lot of different formats on a external drive without beeing mounted or beeing visible in the hardware section
No matter what… always zero

Be careful of your tone. The reason this addon exists is because hassio doesn’t do that.

1 Like

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH NO NO SORRY noooo sorry!!!
Haha, help ! … please i don’t bother anyone/anything !!!

For sure, the big letters where a question!
I was asking for: How should be the setting if i plug something on my nuc!!!
Only a question to check if i’m on the right way!
Because i’ve really NO NO NO idea how the behaviour of the system should be.
The question was: Should i see anything if i plug/unplug a drive with or without the addons?

Nothing more… i’m really not in the situation to demand something
But maybe my english isn’t correct because i’m not a native speaker!

The hassio hardware tab isn’t linked to this addon. What OS do you want to access your drive from?

hmmm maybe i’m totally wrong!

My setup is a nuc with integrated drive and a hassio image as os:
I thought while using this addon i’m able (maybe) to plugin another drive (e.g. usb external ssd) and reach this new drive from hassio itself.
–> The idea was to save some bigger files on the external storage to avoid overloading the system drive.
To your question than:
The OS would be hassio itself and some additional addon like “motion eye” to catch some videos of the cameras and store it in the external drive after motion or any other trigger.

I was searching wild after recognizing that hassio isn’t able to deal with additional discs
So i thought your addon could be the solution :wink: