New Aqara Human Presence Sensor FP1

I put the pf1 and a normal motion sensor in a group input sensor. And put them both in my main room.
So the normal sensor for the response and the pf1 for the occupancy.
This works good.
And put the group sensor in my room presence automation.
I did a test, 2 people in the main room, room-presence-sensor shows main-presence and the group-sensor shows on.
One person is going to the sleep room. Room-presence shows sleep-presence and the group-sensor shows on.

Yeah, I did that as well. I have Hue paired with PF1. It works good enough for getting fast on response. It doesn’t work as good for off I’m afraid - PIR can’t be used for that because of often it fails detecting someone that doesn’t move at the moment - that’s the main reason for getting mmWave sensor. :wink:
What I’m going to also do is to get enter event through automation. So I could set the approach state this way and translate this to on/off for detecting purposes. It’s sad that those events aren’t as reliable as they should be though - they don’t always fire and leave is as slow as occupancy getting cleared.

I just recived the Aqara FP1 , i have paired it with a PIR motion 
 but the aqara doesnt stop the motion for hours 
 .its very slow , only when i push the reset_nonpresence_status , it turns of 
i have the latest firmware on the conbee II and have it with Z2MQTT , doesnt anyone know whot to make it a little better ???

Thank you

Disabled should be enabled. Last seen N/A there should be a time.
Repair with z2m. Wait for the pop message. It should be green. Red is not good. If it is not good, repair again. Not good, remove the sensor (force) restart HA an repair again.
Twice.

This is only the case when you have Device-Availability functionality enabled within Zigbee2MQTT.

As for my previous post talking about the sensitivity throughout the night I’ve repositioned the FP1 sensor which made a significant difference:

Old position:

New position:

Only one small false positive at the end. So it’s all about the position.

In case of tracking sleeping person, manual suggests to direct sensor at the head of the bed and don’t install it on other side of the bed but rather to the side or above. Just small tip, if you haven’t read it already. :wink:

Definitely did not read the manual completely written in Chinese :sweat_smile:

But great addition indeed, my original position was at the bed end at 1m height, by which the sheets are blocking the view. My new position was still at the bed end but directly in the top corner of the room. So at 2,6m height.

Thank you for all you replys ,

i had the availability and last seen turned off . iv turned that on , but i still see in the map that the aqara is not connected to any other device dispite being very close , but the conbee sees it now

Noob question , is there a option on the frontend to repair the devices i cannot see it , i moved from smarthings hub that had zigbee and zwave , and now i have them on a local ubs sticks , but still learning , can u tell me here to go to repair the devices ??? on the SM it had a button to repair the network 

Well if its the reconfigure button the yellow one , then i already tried it 
 lets see if it stops motion better now !!

Hopefully this will fix it for you. Possible other things to check are:

• Make sure the coordinator firmware is up to date (I had the same problem before and noticed my Conbee stick wasn’t on the latest / supported firmware).
  • When presence is detected, the FP1 sensor is very sensitive. So even when a rod or a curtain is moving by small wind gusts it keeps reporting presence. Make sure to test the sensor on rooms without ANY movement after you’ve left.

Hi Thanks leon , it was the frist thing i did was to flash the conbee it has the latest :

i have the fp1 pointing from a shelf to the other side of the room , and it has a windows where its pointing , maybe you are right , because the curtains can move 
 even if i close the window , sometimes the air con can move the curtain a little , im going to try to position it differently

thank you

@LE0N its working better on another place now 
but it takes like 3 to 5 min to remove the presence , do you know if its possible to lower this ??

could it be the sensitivy ??? i set it to medium !!!

Thank you all for help and answering

Someone already mentioned this somewhere but first thing to check is to eliminate device failure. Make the FP1 detect presence and then put it on the floor, with sensors directed downwards. Move away and monitor if the presence is cleared. It should take 20-40s to do that (or up to 30s by Aqara’s manual). If it works like that then your issue is simply because of placement.

Yes you are right , i did that test of puting it agains the floor and it worked , iv found a good placing in the room , and now it detects me leaving within 20 to 30s , thank you all for your help

I guess if we could read the manual it could say watch for the placing , but since there is no other language support , that is why there is this awesome forum

Thank you all

I just got mine from Taobo two days ago and I’m playing it around with different locations and noticed couple of things. Also, I integrated it through zigbee2mqtt and it is working fine.

1. When it is in not presence state, even though I switched on the fan and the curtain is moving due to the wind, it didn’t pick up the motion. However, when it detects human presence and it will stay in presence state even though you leave the room as it is pickup my fan and the curtain movement. I have to switch off the fan for it to change the state to not presence.

2. It has some delay in picking someone is in presence indeed. This is known fact as it needs to post processed the data before it reports the state.

3. Once I left the room, it actually reports not presence state in ~30s (provided I don’t have the fan switched on) which is pretty responsive as compared to my Aqara motion sensor. And I didn’t see it needs to take 20-30s to clear the state as you all mentioned here. Am I missing something?

4. Placement of the fp1 is really picky and tricky especially you have fan/curtain. So far I’m still haven’t find the best spot yet in my bedroom to avoid picking up the fan/curtain movement.

Thanks.

That contradicts official Aqara data so maybe it decided sooner then you think? It has quite narrow “sight” so maybe you were outside for it even though you were still in the room?

So another day and another small disappointment on how FP1 works: lookout for washing machine and vents. :stuck_out_tongue: I noticed that it couldn’t clear itself for very long time so I started to look at what could cause it. And I found two potential solutions:

• one being wind - there’s a vent in the bathroom right beside where clothing hangs for drying and when there’s a big wind outside it makes those clothing move a little bit,
  • second being washing machine - laundry day and FP1 couldn’t clear itself even though there was no wind outside but the washing machine was spinning
you do the math. :wink:

The huge issue with FP1 is that it’s really great at getting presence up and making sure it stays that way but it has relly big problems with getting know that someone left the room (Leave fires with the same delay as clear is happening so it’s basically useless). Anything that makes movement after getting initial detected state prevents from clearing properly. And what’s worse, it doesn’t help that Aqara made it so it needs around 30s to decide about getting cleared because it starts this 30s after any move stops being there
which can leads to at least minutes of being active.

TBH I’m overall quite disappointed with this device. Especially after watching “Game changer” review and DIY follow up. It works great when can be placed in best possible environment but works at best ‘good enough’ in every other scenario. Maybe if I would use dedicated app somehow where you can map the room to mark places it shouldn’t monitor, which would give me a tool to mark both washing machine and place for clothing, it would work better
I don’t know. I hope we’ll get regions support

1 Like

I’m absolutely agreed with you.

I have to clarify that it did need to take ~30s to flag no one is in presence. For the past weekend, I have been playing this around by moving it to different spots at different rooms where one has ceiling fan and the other has the wall fan. And I was unable to find a spot where it will not pick up my fan movement.

It’s picking up the fan movement even though someone has left the room. Tried with different settings/spots with no luck. I’m using it with zigbee2mqtt and it has no region support yet. As you pointed out, it might be working better with Aqara app that has region support. Anyone who is using this sensor with Aqara app may share your views. I wish to know if it will be better with the Aqara app especially places with fan.

Right now, I’m using it in the toilet and it is OK since it has no fan. Previously, it always turn off the light when I’m sitting on the toilet bowl doing poop poop. :rofl: My existing motion sensor can’t pick up this. But I feel it kinda wasted with such sensor being used in a small area and not to mention the price.

Wish the region will be supported soon in zigbee2mqtt.

I use a combination off the pf1 and a hue. The only problem was the cool down from the hue. So I did the hardware hack. Solder a piece off wire on the pcb. Then change the cool down time in z2m to 5 sec. And that works. If you don’t like to solder you can use a pencil.
But then I tried with a hue that is not modified. I change the cool down in z2m to 10s. I active it. And after 10s it went from on to off. But then it took 60 s before I could reactive it again.
For some automations this good enough.

It takes 10 seconds for it to clear occupancy for me. I think thats more than acceptable. My motion sensor takes 30 seconds to clear. Im happy with that and dont really want to clear any sooner. Im not looking for lights to turn off the instant I leave the room. I have a 30 second fade down for the lights anyway. I may play around and see how fast I can turn off and on the lights just as an experiment.
Im connected via ZHA.