New Aqara Human Presence Sensor FP1

guys, i have just received my FP1.

in short i am pretty unhappy with it up until now… it takes a lot of time to show that you are in the room and a lot of time to realize that you are not in the room. a lot of times it shows false occupancy.

i have a QUESTION for anyone who has found a way…
i want to create an automation that when i am coming near the sensor… i turn on the lights… if i walk away from the sensor… i turn off the lights… the issue is that i don’t have entities for that. i can just see it in the log… does anyone know how i can do this?

ok, to help with my own question… I can use the away and near automations from HA’s UI Automations. i haven’t figured it out yet for node-red.

1 Like

Is that with ZHA? I know on Z2M an entity is created for it sensor.fp1_presence_event that will show approaching and can be used as a trigger.

ZHA yes.
if i go to automations and choose “Device” as the trigger and select the fp1… it will display a “sensor” Away trigger.

no idea how to use that in node-red.

in general it works, but if there are more than 1 people inside the room… the away and approach sensor is useless because it doesn’t know what to do.

also i discovered the “enter” event sensor which is instant and you don’t have to wait 5 seconds for the occupancy to turn on.

too bad that the “leave” event is slow. like 10 seconds?

Do you really want the lights to turn off the second you walk out of the room? That’s almost unheard of when doing motion lighting. No motion sensor, even the FP1, will detect you perfectly 100% of the time. If you’re sitting on the couch watching TV and have it configured to instantly shut things down on no detection, I guarantee you that after the 1st evening you will be going back and changing that automation. All it will take is for the FP1 to stop tracking you for a tiny instant and it’ll flip all your lights off. Most of us use at least a 1 minute buffer, sometimes more depending on the room.

1 Like

let me configure it in HA not and on the device… “If no motion for 1 minute… turn the lights off”
this way i will have full control and not depend on the device.

all in all to me, this is a beta device. i don’t agree with people who say that it is slow and it needs 5 seconds to detect you… if you use the “enter” event, then it is instant.

but as a device that needs a power supply… it should also have a light and temperature sensor and also act as a zigbee router. Let see if we will get it with V2 of this…

and maybe… one day… in V3… we will get the advantage of being able to detect more than 1 people in the room.

as for now… i would like to see HA and ZHA to implement the box area occupancy where we can set automations, based on where exactly you stand in the room.

1 Like

I made a room presence sensor. It is just a input sensor. As an example. My main room has 2 exits. One I am going to the kitchen and one I’m am going to the hall.
They have all 3, a motion sensor. So when I am coming in the main room the motion sensor is active and let the room presence sensor going to main presence. And it stay’s at main presence as long as I am staying in the room. Also I can move or not move it stay’s on main presence. Then when I am going to the kitchen the kitchen motion sensor is active and put kitchen presence in the room presence sensor. The same for the hall.
The rest off the house have also motion sensors.
With my room presence sensor I made automations, like for the light, home not_home, bed sensor, etc.

Nice idea, but that will only work if there is only one person in the house.
The automation will get messed up if a second or third person enters or leaves the room.
Or if someone goes down the stairs into the hall (or enters the home while you are in the living room)
The FP1 solves that problem, because it will keep detecting a person, even when that person does not move (regular motion sensors are very unreliable with people sitting still)
With the FP1 you can even “count” the persons in a home or room and adjust automations on that.
And you can let automations run on the moment someone leaves a room.
For instance, toilet lighting can be shut off at the moment someone leaves the toilet, with regular motion sensors the lights turn off when the motion sensor times out on motion.
The FP1 als supports location detection, and you can adjust automations on that.
For instance, your spouse is already sleeping and you are going to bed, only turn on the bed light on your side of the bed so you won’t wake him/her.

Personally I see a lot af advantages with the FP1 against a regular motion sensor.
I bought 2 of them and the first one arrived a couple of days ago, so first testcase will be the toilet.

1 Like

You right, I made it for one person. That works reliable.
I also test the P1, but for me it have a unreliable sensitivity.

The P1 is a regular motion sensor using infrared, and yes, is not fully reliable.
But, I was talking about the FP1, that works using microwaves and even detects a person sitting completely still.
It can even detect multiple persons in a room and there locations in that room.

Haven’t seen it mentioned - so I thought I would bring it up.
I watched Aqara’s live stream the other day, where they were answering questions as well as talking about new products. They were asked when the FP1 would be available in the rest of the world, and they said the reason it is not available yet, is because they are making a new version that has more functionality than what we have already seen demonstrated on certain “game changer” youtube videos (obviously referring to Lewis’ video haha).

Curtain Driver E1, Prime Day and amazing Matter update - YouTube for more

I was using the FP1 with an Aqara E1 hub connected to HA as a HomeKit device for a few weeks before I bought a Sonoff USB ZigBee stick. It worked flawlessly.

When I switched to the Sonoff ZigBee 3.0 Plus and zigbee2mqtt I noticed it would frequently get stuck on “home” even though I’ve left the room, even with motion sensitivity set to “low”.

Not sure if it’s just a coincidence or the E1 hub does something differently. The Aqara app does have a button called “Reset unmanned status” which I assume is to tell it “this is what an empty room looks like”. I can’t find that option in HA though. Maybe that would help.

Thanks for posting the link! If anyone else is interested, he mentions it at 10:44 in the video. They’re planning on releasing the new version towards the end of the year or early next year.

And since they talk about Matter a lot in the video, I’m fairly convinced that that is the reason it will be later this year or early next year. I wonder if it will be Thread enabled.

1 Like

Anyone knows what exactly does Monitoring Mode do?

yes! thank you. i have the exact same issue

How to do you hook up to the approach events? If it’s possible to use it as a ‘turn on’ and then use occupancy, then it would be really great. I didn’t see any way to use it as a trigger in automation…

I just had this issue with FP1 connected through zzh! (newest firmware) to ZHA. The FP1 itself has firmware 0x00000035. I wonder if there’s a newer one that could potentially fix this. Anyway, what I observed was situation when it simply didn’t changed from detected to clear. Pressing Reset Precence State did change it to default state. Behaviour like that renders this device quite useless. :frowning:
Now I’m testing low sensitivity. I also wonder if placing it differently could have some impact on how it detects. I’m using it in bathroom so there are no additional things that could potentially disturb how it works. But currently, for testing, it’s placed at eye level, close to the sink, to the right of the door, facing opposite side of the entry. I could move it above the door, setting it at some angle to point more downwards.

Anyway I had this issue few times already from the moment I started writing this post. Both with sensitivity set to high and low.

I did a response test with the pf1.
The sensor is 2 m from ground level, facing a bit down.
When I enter the room it takes 8 sec before he goes to on.
When I go too the room at 1 m from the sensor or 3 m it is always 8 sec.
From on to off it’s varies, from 20 to 40 sec.
This on default settings.

I’m not sure I was patient long enough to confirm the 40s limit. But if that’s the case then it’s quite bad and yet expensive motion sensor. The only advantage over Philips Hue would be mmWave. And it’s really weird because mmWave sensors are very fast for both detecting and clearing. Which would suggest some bug in the firmware or deliberate decision by Aqara - I already wrote them a message but I don’t expect any response. :frowning: I really hope there’s gonna be some firmware update that will fix this (at least for getting off faster because the on can be easily fired up with PIR)…or I’d have to buy another Hue to have reliable detecting and clearing…

I don’t like doubling posts but I think it’s quite useful info so here it goes: