New AVM Fritz!box Tools problems

I just switched from the yaml-fritzbox integration to the UI version.

Here are some problems I have not figured out jet, maybe someone has a solution:

1. When a new device is discovered on the fritzbox, it is automatically added to the integration. However, the event “device_tracker_new_device” is not triggered.

2. Devices, that are removed from the fritzbox are not removed from the integration, which is good. However I cannot find a way to manually remove these devices if necessary, so all my test-devices are piling up.

Any solution? Bug?

P.S.: To completely make the known_devices.yaml obsolete, we NEED a device-tracker-template!

ok, issue 2. has been resolved. After deleting the device from the fritzbox, and restarting home Assistant, the device can be removed.

I spoke to early: I was able to delete the device_tracker-entity, the device itself still cannot be deleted.

Unfortunately I cannot provide solutions to the first two issues but given the headline of this topic, I would like to add two further issues:
3. none of my old devices_tracker entries are working anymore. Seems like new entities have been created when switching from the yaml config of fritzbox to the UI config. Do I really have to update all of my automations and lovelace cards that were using the old device_tracker entries?
4. How do I now set the consider_home parameter for the fritz!box Tools integration?

I’ve hit this too overnight with the update.

What’s happened is if you have the old style set-up with the device tracker entry in configuration.yaml and then upgrade and configure the new AVM Fritzbox tools integration, it doubles everything up as it finds all the devices again and gives them a _2 suffix.

In my case I rolled back using a snapshot to before the upgrade to 2021.5.0, then removed the device tracker entry from the config then upgraded again and configured the new integration. Doing that stopped the duplication (mostly) and the majority of the devices were picked up correctly and re-used their old device names.

I still have a couple of duplicates and some Android devices picked up wrong, but I think I probably corrected those manually in the known_devices.yaml file before and need to do a similar tweak in the integration (or the devices/entities) this time.

Thanks Darren for making the effort to copy this over. I also saw your comment in the thread under the release notes. I’ll try your approach then with removing the yaml first.

Any suggestions on the consider_home parameter? The device tracker documentation states that it is a global setting and will only look for this under the configuration of the first configured platform but how do you set it assuming that the Fritz!box Tools integration is your only device tracker so you don’t have any left to be configured in yaml and that you could use to define the consider_home option?

You can just delete the new integration “AVM Fritzbox Tool”, delete the old config from .yaml, rename known-devices.yaml, restart HA and then configure “AVM Fritzbox Tool” again. The device-names will then correspond to the device-names in you Fritzbox without any suffixes.

1 Like

@DarrenHill would you mind giving some insights, how exactly you configured your integration? Old style yaml “fritz” integration just had a host ip without password. Now there is also a third row, which I don’t quite understand what to put in.

it seems like you would have to create a user on the Fritzbox with access to the frontend. Put these credentials (line 3: username; Line 4: password) in there

1 Like

Thanks! This wasn’t necessary until now and should’ve been stated in the documentation of fritz. Before you just had to put the local ip address of your fritzbox into config yaml. Which makes me wonder, why is it necessary to use fritzbox user credentials, if device detection and netmonitor are possible via TR-064 without user credentials?

1 Like

Correct, for me there were 4 lines.

1. Router IP address (fill in as appropriate)
  2. Port (I just left the default value, I think offhand 49000)
  3. Username (“admin”)
  4. Password (your router password)

Before I had something similar in the configuration.yaml file, and just transferred those details across.

Thanks here too as I had the same issue.

Now that its working again though, without a known_devices.yaml file, how do i add a picture file associated with the device?

@IanC Not sure what you mean by a picture?

Icons can be set in the normal way under either device or entity depending on which specifically you mean. Or do you something else?

In known_devices.yaml you could have both an icon or a picture parameter set against each device as well as its MAC address, name and track option. But I don’t see how this can now be done from the integration.

@IanC I’ll be facing the same issue as you once I get round to switching from the yaml config to UI config. I guess, in order to assign images to device_tracker entities you could create a person for that device and upload the image you want for that person. Feels kind of odd though, to make your network device a person just to be able to assign an image to it.

There I can’t help I’m afraid. Never used that option, only icons.

One for someone else to hopefully chip in…

Ok well must admit I had missed the point that you can assign an image to a device within configuration/people and then assign a device to that person. However, having done that it still only shows an mdi icon in the dashboard for my device which is my phone. I just want to see my face in the dashboard like before :grin:

As far as i understand this thread, after upgrading there’s no chance to use consider_home anymore? Also: Did anyone use the custom fritzbox Tools from HACS (by @mammuth ) and the fritz device tracker? I rely on both being functional, including the consider_home options. Are there any solutions to upgrade and not lose these?

I too relied on consider_home which I had optimised for best performance. Not sure yet how things will turn out with the changes versus the device staying on or off the network as the case may be.

Actually just tested that function. It dropped off the dashboard after 20 seconds of network disconnection and reappeared 40 seconds later when reconnecting to the network. So that appears fine. Just need the picture parameter working.

I’ve got both AVM Fritzbox tools (the new one for tracking etc) and Fritzbox tools (Mammuth’s one) running and they seem to happily co-exist, at least for what I’m doing.

I use the new one now for device tracking etc, and the HACS one for profile control and also getting statistical data from the Fritzbox.