New AVM Fritz!box Tools problems

For me my most important entries are gone:

binary_sensor.fritzbox_7362_sl_connectivity
(to turn off wlan)

switch.fritzbox_7362_sl_deflection_0
(to switch a call forwarding easily and quickly from landline to cell phone).

some context: HA 2021.5 includes an enhancement of the original fritz integration (/device tracker) and first features of my FRITZ!Box Tools custom integrations were ported over by some contributors. The custom integration will be deprecated soonish, once everything is migrated into HA core.

Iā€™m not sure how well the old custom integration and the new core integration work together, since I didnā€™t port it.

1 Like

Well yes, i read in your git, and hoped so. but it seems that not everything from your integration seems to work flawlessly (which it did till now, at least for me)

@DarrenHill - great set up flow for the new Fritz Tools, cool, thanks.

In terms of duplication, I notice the same on my instance. I did an upgrade, then configured the Fritz Tools, while still having fritz: platform in my configuration.yaml. This led to duplication (image below).
I then did, as @seanomat suggested, remove Fritz Tools integration, cleared the known-devices.yaml, and restarted HA to then Add Fritz Tools Integration again (note: I did not do a rollback).
The duplications are not gone unfortunatly, and what strikes me as odd is that, previously, I saw hostnames of most devices via fritz-platform. Now I have mostly MAC adresses and names containing the IP address. Iā€™d love to have the device names back :wink:
I might try a rollback, if that leads to better results.

As an idea, the Fritz Tools Integration could check for an active fritz-platform / entry in configuration.yaml, and notify the user to get rid of this prior to installing Fritz Tools Integration. Just a thought.
Am still trying th understand how exactly and what is duplicated (Software Developer here), maybe I can find out a bit more.

The new automation picks up whatever is set as the name on the Fritzbox, or so it seems to me. So I guess youā€™ve maybe adjusted your known_devices.yaml to give the names correctly? That may explain why thereā€™s the difference (I had a few like that).

What I also had to do (which was probably overdue anyway) is go into the Fritzbox and have a clean-up of old/defunct devices in there as it looks like everything thatā€™s listed under the Home Network/Network tab on the box, including all old idle connections.

Thatā€™s actually one thing I donā€™t like about the new integration - it might be nicer if thereā€™s an option to hide/mask devices on the box, or at least select which ones get sucked in and created as HA devices/entities.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Yes, I noticed that it also adds previously-connected devices. Time for a cleanup indeed. :slight_smile:
What I have noticed now while cleaning up a bit, it looks like at least for my Sonos Speakers, the integration does retrieve the device/speaker name (TV Room in this example), and seems to create a room with the Speaker name :slight_smile:
This happens for all my speakers, but thats quickly fixed, so not a real issue. But maybe the Sonos Integration plays into this as well - only happened for Sonos devices.

@mammuth it looks like 2021.5.4 has broken fritzbox_tools .

Errors in the log for the binary sensor for the external IP address and also for the profiles and wifi switches. Details are in the GitHub issue I just raised for it.

Is there an easy fix for this, or are we in the void between your integration and the new one? At the moment things are broken from what I can seeā€¦

I donā€™t know how the custom integration and the new integration in HA core interfere. @chemelli might know more on this topic.

They happily co-exist in 2021.5.3, but 5.4 throws the log errors in the GH issue.

Hope itā€™s something that can be easily fixed, or shifted from your custom component into the new integration. Can work around the external IP address via other routes, but the wifi and profile switches are very useful and would be a real pain to lose

Will update again and try your GH suggestion to remove and reinstall. If all else fails I have an overnight snapshot of 5.3 to revert back to.

Updated back to 2021.5.4 again, and this time no log errors and everything is running fine without any further interventions.

So looks like something screwed up in the original update for some reason. But all is working now under 5.4, so life is good again :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know how the custom integration and the new integration in HA core interfere. @chemelli might know more on this topic

We use different domain, so nothing should interfere.

Note for everyone: we integrated nearly everything, only switch platform is missing.

Simone

Getting there it seems - on another side note, I have four mesh repeaters, which I integrated at first too (they were auto-detected). But it seems just ignoring the Mesh Repeaters and only integration your main fritzbox seems to do the trick and get rid of all ā€˜mac-adress namedā€™ entitites etc.

1 Like

Is there any way to NOT add the loads of wifi devices I have running, just as I could with known_devices.yaml?

Is there any way to NOT add the loads of wifi devices I have running, just as I could with known_devices.yaml?

Yes, disable the entities you donā€™t need :wink:

Simone

Thatā€™s quite shitty. In these kinds of integrations a function like

new_device_defaults:
      track_new_devices: true

is a must imo. I am lazy and donā€™t want to disable over 50 devices :cry:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s going to be in the next release 2021.6 afaik, next week !

https://rc.home-assistant.io/integrations/fritz/
at the bottom of the page.

1 Like

Anyone like me is having a lot of duplicated devices? iā€™ve also tryied to delete and readd the integrations but all devices still hereā€¦

Did you remove the old depreciated yaml method from your configuration.yaml file?

If not then youā€™ll get duplicates, at least for the moment.

yes, iā€™ve removed from the configuration.yaml on the same updated were it got deprecatedā€¦

same on my side, everything deleted in ā€œoldā€ yaml before updated to new version, but still double entities.