New AVM Fritz!box Tools problems

Try cleaning up the known_devices.yaml, after this I had no more double entities.

Still had to rename some of the devices to get the previous names.

Tried also this, double (quintupleā€¦) entities still reappear after readding the integration

Probably a bug due to the fact that Iā€™m using Fritz mesh?

Did you set up the integration for each router/booster in your mesh? That may well be the cause.

On mine (1 7590 router plus 1 3000 repeater/booster mesh device) I set the router up via the integration and selected ignore for the booster and for me all devices show up fine and once only.

Nope, I just setup the mesh master (7590) in the integration, there are 2 mesh slaves (2x7490 connected via LAN) but these are not seen on HA

It is a little hard to keep track in this thread.

I have the official integration in use.
I only see device tracker entities/devices and nothing else. No binary sensors or senors, ā€¦
Is this known and being worked on. Like @OlliVa, for me the connectivity is the most important feature of this integration. I come from the AVM FRITZ!Box Net Monitor integration and thought I get the same (and more) from the ā€¦Tools integration.

The sensors should certainly be there. I have them on mine and working fine:

One confirmation - did you enable TR-064 on your Fritzbox?

For me, thereā€™s currently only one thing that is missing/broken with the AVM tools integration, and that is there is no possibility to trigger an automation when a new device is added to HA. At least I canā€™t find a trigger that works for thatā€¦

Thanks @DarrenHill.
I reconfirmed that TR-064 is active, which it is for my main fritz.box.

There I got the idea, UPnP has to be active to to get the statistics. Not only TR-064.
I over-read ā€œā€¦ and read device infoā€ several times. Maybe I make a pull request to make that a little clearer in the docs. I thought the statistics can also be received vi this TR-064 stuff.

Unfortunately, the statistics from the FB Tools integration are inferior to the ones from the net monitor integration. AND both donā€™t tell me the IPv6 address.

I think you can do that with the dnsip sensor.

See here.

Apple devices use different MAC addresses on different WiFiā€™s to avoid being tracked. Depending on how your iPhones interpret different SSIDs / access points that might be an issue as well.

Disabling MAC Randomization - Armstrong (armstrongonewire.com)

The developerā€™s work and the modernisation are in all honour, but the change to the GUI configuration unfortunately creates more frustration than joy. :confused:

1 Like

If the issue in my case is the MAC randomisation, I think a better workaround should be found, as in the Fritz WebUI I donā€™t see multiple entities, instead of MAC itā€™s better to add an option to just relay on just drvice the name instead of adding a device on each different MAC (or store something like the device capabilities + name to consider it unique)

If this is on iPhone, you can turn it off on the phone itself.

Go into the wifi settings, then press the i button next to the wifi network youā€™re connected to. Then the option ā€œprivate addressā€ needs to be disabled. Thatā€™s the one that randomises the MAC address for the device when it connects.

Keep it on for public wifi networks, but turn it off for home or trusted ones.

Except to the fact that i want to avoid the needs to change settings on a device to start tracking it on my home wifi, i have multiple entites also for some non-apple devicesā€¦ some cable devices (so i think no MAC changes here), other probably when changing from 2.4 to 5ghz (so probably a +1 on MAC)

so any applicable workaround like the one iā€™ve suggested above is welcome

I got a question regarding this option. What are the supposed steps to migrate from yaml to new UI mode without having all the devices pile up?
I am running 2021.4.6 and am looking for a way to upgrade to 2021.6.x without a bunch of unnecessary devices in my HA. Would maybe start a new topic to make this easy to find, if anyone got the clue here.

What I did was the following:

• Removed the entries from configuration.yaml
  • Got rid of known_devices.yaml (in my case I renamed it and archived it away in another folder).
  • Do the update of HA.
  • Install the AVM integration and configure it if required.

This should then find all the devices, and as they are already existing and enabled, hopefully should just carry on as normal. You may or may not have to re-enable them, that I donā€™t know as I did mine before new devices were added as disabled by default.

This does of course also assume that you havenā€™t renamed any of the device entities, as the integration finds/names them based on how they appear on your FritzBox. So if you have a device there that youā€™ve renamed within HA, then that renamed entity will probably get orphaned and a new version of it created under the name in the FB.

Before doing so, take a full snapshot, so that in the worst case you can just roll back again if something does go wrong or you end up with a lot of duplication.

1 Like

Thanks for your experiences.
Right now there are no devices and just device_tracker entities. I am assuming there wonĀ“t be any new devices after update and I have to update the needed ones by hand? I am asking because I already did the update and hoped the ā€œbreaking changesā€ will not break anything. After the update I got a device for every IP connected to my FritzBox. I try to avoid another upgrade just to have a bunch of devices I can not even delete (can I?) and revert the changes again.
Additionally I actually did rename every needed device_tracker. I think all in all this is the worst situation for the upgrade. But to be honest the renaming of the device trackers and editiong of the few correlating automations wonĀ“t be a huge problem.
My main concern is still the bunch of devices piling up after the upgrade. If I did something wrong or misunderstod, please correct me. You may also PN me, if we want to sum this up bilateral and update this post later without creating a huge mess here.

On mine I have device_tracker entities, and also devices, both under the integration.

From the notes on the integration page (note 2 at the very bottom):

Note 2 : If you donā€™t want to automatically track newly detected devices, disable the integration system option Enable new added entities .

I have no personal experience on this, as I havenā€™t done it.

But basically yes, by vanilla configuration, you will get a HA device per device connected to the Fritzbox. Iā€™m not sure there is a way around it, at least at the moment except by that note above to turn automatic adding off. But if you do that then I donā€™t know how you re-add in the bits you do want to trackā€¦

I also read the note. Problem is I can only disable the auto-add when the Integration is installed.
Oh wait. While typing the idea hits me!
Need to delete the yaml config, install the new integration (no automatic import of the yaml config) and then first disable the auto-add before actually configuring the integration. will try this tomorrow.
Why did I not get this earlier? :smiley: My brain was stuck on the idea of migration rather than a complete new installation.
Will tell tomorrow if this works the way I intended.
Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Note: Did not work out as expected. Still siting on a few hundred devices getting added.
At this point I actually consider this a bug.

@chemelli Had a router update last night (to Fritz!OS 07.27) and it looks like itā€™s broken stuff. I canā€™t configure the integration - it rejects the router username/password as being incorrect, even with confirmed good credentials (they still work fine to log into the FB directly via its web page).

Could you have a look at it, as things are very broken at the momentā€¦ :frowning:

Tried to remove and reinstall the integration, and same issue. When I try the initial configuration it rejects the credentials.