New backup to NAS How-To?

2023-6 brought the new ability to use network storage, e.g. for backup or for media etc.
I tried to set this up, using my Synology NAS.
However, there is no documentation so far and I struggle how to do it.
Anyone able to give me some guidance?
Thanks

2 Likes

On the Synology add a new shared folder and make a note of the shared folder name
Settings > Storage > Add network storage
Complete the dialog
Back to Settings > System > Backups
Click on the top rand hand corner hamburger
Select Change default backup location
Sel;ect your shared folder from the dropdown
Click Save
To test, click on “create Backup” button

It’s also documented https://www.home-assistant.io/common-tasks/os/#network-storage

1 Like

Yes, Ihave seen this documentation, however, all I get when I try to install
Is

Mounting HomeAssistant did not succeed. Check host logs for errors from mount or systemd unit mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-HomeAssistant.mount for details.

What I have done?
I created a shared folder on the NAS

On HA I tried to add network storage
I gave it the name NAS
I selected Backup for usage
I entered the IP adress of my NAS (with and without :5000)
I tried both
CIFS with the Name of the shared folder and username/password
NFS with just the name of the shared folder, no fields for user/password

So what do I have to enter to add the network storage?

2 Likes

Ok, trial and error plus some research, I managed to install!

First step:
Create a shared folder on the Synology NAS
Then go to the settings of this folder, there you select NFS, there you add a client, for host adress you enter the IP adress of your HomeAssistant

On the bottom of the screen you see the mount adress of this shared folder (mine was /volume 1/homeassistant

Second step

With that information go to HomeAssistant, settings, storage and add a network storage
Any Name, IP-Adress of your Synology, NFS, and the above mount adress of the shared folder

With that, I could finally add the network storage.

12 Likes

so Samba/Windows (CIFS) doesn’t works?

I was unable to make CIFS work on Synology.
mituns method works. However you have to enable NFS on your Synology first.

@mituns
I love the internet :slight_smile:
Thanks, worked fine
Papa Lanc

PS: This is great because now if my system goes belly up, I now have a backup I can get to. I used to schedule a .bat file to copy for hassio to my win 10 box

It does, but you need at least version 2.1

I got it work, and it did show my previously copied backups there, but when i wanted to create a new backup. it showed up on HA’s list, but i was unable to find it on the nas (nor could i find it on ha), so i really wonder where that file ended up… :confused:

I’ll try again sometime later again; my goal was to replace hassio-addons/samba-backup at master · thomasmauerer/hassio-addons · GitHub (which works fine, but will become obsolete once this is working :thinking:)

I don’t see Storage in the System\Settings. I see the new Network setting though.
Running Home Assistant in Docker Container on QNAP.

Home Assistant 2023.6.0
Frontend 20230607.0 - latest

It’s probably because I don’t have either the Home Assistant Operating System or Home Assistant Supervised installation method

Press F5 on the page. Sometimes mine will not “see” what can be scrolled down to.

Thanks, I was able to get it working using this method.

I was able to get the backup on my Synology NAS using NFS, but the file name is not what I created. Is this what everyone else is seeing?

I show a 60013ad1.tar on the NAS, but a human readable name on Home Assistant. Before when I manually downloaded the backup to my NAS I was able to have the same file name without any renaming.

It always saves them with funky names either local or NAS. If you have the SAMBA addon you can look from a windows PC at the HA local backups and see this. You just have to go by dates

1 Like

what about if homeassistant instance and Synology are not in the same LAN?
a solution to backup on NAS through internet (ftp ,Rsync, etc)?

LE Found: if helps to someone: Backup Home Assistant data to a Diskstation using rsync - Sven's development notes

The new NAS-backup works fine and I like it.
@PapaLanc: You are right it is the same file name like when you access the backup-folder via Samba-addon but I agree to the message of @hawkeyeP that it would be better to have the given names also on the NAS-share.
I create for example dynamic filenames like “2023-06-18_v2023-6-2_full” and it would be good to see exactly this in an explorer, because the content can be identified better compared to just sorting the files by date.
Maybe we can raise that as a new “improvement”.

I think if I need a full restore from NAS, I might lean toward a new install and when it ask for a backup point it to the file on the NAS

My two cents, after a few days of frustration (and not getting any answers from google or the HA documentation:

I got :

• homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: \192.168.0.100 Dialect not supported by server. Consider specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
  • homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95

I had to go to (On my NAS) Control Panel, File Services, then SMB (label at the top) then Advanced settings (somewhere below the “Enable SMB service” tickmark)
In my NAS it says Maximum SMB protocol and I had it to SMB2. I changed it to SMB3 and tried to connect HA to NAS again and it worked.
I guess SMB2 in Synology is not SMB2.1
It could have been made a little more clear in the documentation.

1 Like

The logfile states Consider specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount accessing older servers

• homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: \192.168.0.100 Dialect not supported by server. Consider specifying vers=1.0 or vers=2.0 on mount for accessing older servers
  • homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -95

My Nas is running DSM 7.2 (not an older server)
SMB2.0 does not work.

SMB set to 3.0 and it works