New blank automation editor page won't display in Firefox browser

I hope this is the right place for this… I am trying to create a new blank automation with UI editor.
I know I can do YAML, just wanted to use the editor…

Using up to date Firefox browser. Go to configuration > Automations&Scenes > +Add Automation> ‘start with an empty automation’. The new automation editor screen flashes briefly and then back to automation dashboard. If I use a different browser (i.e. Midori) the editor comes up and stays. Also, if I go to browsing history and select the URL for a new automation (/config/automation/edit/new) or type it in, then Firefox will display the editor with new automation ready to create and everything then seems to work. It only fails when I click the blue “+ Add Automation” button in the lower right corner of the dashboard.

I have used the editor before and it worked fine in firefox. I disabled all my firefox add-ons and still the same problem.It seems that this just started with the latest HA update 2021.12.0. , (but I have not used the editor for about a month…).

Any ideas?

HA installation is core in python virtual environment which I have been using for a long time…

2 Likes

I’m seeing the same problem. My work around was to click on “Create” and then “Skip” instead of “Start with an empty Automation.” I’m still on 2021.11 and have not updated to 2021.12 yet.

I’ve seen this behavior too. Trying 4 or 5 times again it worked.

I have the same problem, because I can open the edit screen of an existing automation my workaround is to clone an existing one.
Version 2021.12.1 (had it with a version from last month too) on Raspberry Pi 3 with Home Assistant OS 6.6.
Using Firefox 95.0 on Windows 10

Yes… All I have to do is edit my URL in firefox to /config/automation/edit/new and the editor comes up as it should…

2 Likes

Raised an issue at Github

It dates prior to 12, maybe even prior to 10, but I am not sure. A solution for now seems to be using a chromium based browser, for example Edge. Have not tested with any other browser (Brave, Safari, etc).

If you have two monitors hooked up, try moving the Firefox window to the primary screen, then add a new automation. This seems to fix it every time I encounter this.

Nice work-around for those using two monitors and Windows. At github one responded that the trick didn’t work. I can say that the issue is there using one monitor (either build-in or external).