New doorbell camera that doesn't need the cloud

So I read about a doorbell camera that can be viewed in HA via rtsp. It comes under a bunch of different names like Nelly, LTS, LAView, RCA, And Uniden, but they are all the same and can even work with each other’s firmware. I’m still trying to see if I can integrate the doorbell itself into HA but I don’t know if that will be possible.

Anyways I wrote a blog post about it. http://automatedhome.party/2018/01/26/installing-the-nelly-security-wifi-video-doorbell/

I know a lot of others have been wanting a doorbell that doesn’t need the cloud. This some seems to be working well for me so far.

I bought this doorbell camera from amazon:

Nelly’s Security 32GB 1080p Wifi Video Doorbell Camera Onvif Compatible

It replaced my skybell and I am able to see the image and video on homeassistant.
I just do not know how to get a notification when the button is pressed.
My camera configuration on homeassistant is:

camera:

Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is your Camera Ip and USERNAME:PASSWORD is your camera’s username and password.
in order to see the video you need to have ffmpeg installed.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think the button integration is something that will be easy.

@simpat1zq @claudiojsouza How is this camera working out for you? I’m looking for a local doorbell solution as well but am a little apprehensive about this one based on the WiFi connectivity issues in the reviews.

As a camera, it’s great. However, as a doorbell, not so much. The doorbell rings, but I don’t get notifications on my phone unless I reboot it every week or so.

old thread, I know. but I wanted to let anyone who reads this know, I bought the RCA and they’ve updated the firmware so that the web interface has an undisclosed password. Their app is the only access you get to this doorbell.
I received this from their support:
“Both RCA doorbell camera models are designed as a closed system between the camera and the RCA Security app. The IP interface and login are not supported features of this product. We don’t provide support for this nor can we guide you to access the RTSP feed in any capacity.”

understand, but didn’t you have to create a user and password for the app?
If I remember correctly the camera name and the app password is what you need for the rstp feed.

this is the rstp string:

rtsp://admin:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/101

1 Like

I get “connection reset by peer” (in vlc for testing). The camera is on FW 1.4.62 build 171127. TCP port 554 is indeed open. I’m wondering if RCA changed the streaming path (in addition to making other changes). I’ll report back if I’m able to figure this out. If I can’t get a local stream (rtsp or otherwise, I’ll be sending this one back). I notice there is also a web interface (which I also am not allowed to have credentials for apparently). Real shame if RCA managed to hobble an otherwise pretty neat device.

I suggest you send it back and get it from Hikvision. This is where i got mine. and it states theres rtsp support.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-Original-international-version-DS-KB6403-WIP-Wi-Fi-Video-Doorbell-Door-phone-Video-intercom-IP/32835778153.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65244c4df0pdGV

I too have this video doorbell (under Laview), I use a video software called Blue Iris to stream the rtsp to. Then Blue Iris streams a http that Hassio uses to display the video. Blue Iris is a great software to keep all your streams in one place.

I have had a few issues where I needed to powerdown the device and it worked fine once I powered it back up. but for the most part it works great!

Sorry if this is late, but try using admin for the user name and for the password, use admin followed by the verification code on the doorbell.

unfortunately the crurrent RCA model appears to have all of that functionality locked away from the user (in spite of it being the exact same model that others sell). I returned the RCA and ordered a LaView and couldn’t be happier with it.

Hi Juan - have you had much luck with the DS-KB6403-WIP integrating with Home Assistant?

I am this close to buying one, because I have the impression it will play nicely with HASS - would you advise someone to get this camera if HASS is a priority? Cheers! :call_me_hand:

Matt, I’ve been using it for about 6 months and Im very happy with it.
I’ve integrated it using motioneye, but you can also add it as a mjpg camera.
the wide angle is really good. see screenshot.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback!

Is the Hikvision still the best way to go? They are a bit pricy at around 130 euro.

Also, is it possible to get the button presses in Home Assistant? Otherwise I would try to get the button hooked up to a zwave binary sensor so I can still read them in Home Assistant. I can then play a mp3 at all google home devices throughout the house. Im just not sure if this will be easy to do. The button is probably mounted directly on the pcb and then it might be a bit difficult to find the contact points and disconnect the normal tracing.

1 Like

As previous post asked, can you get the button press in HA?

Not that I know of. But I think I’ve read somewhere that you can somehow use a magnetic door sensor in the chime to trigger. But I’m not sure how that works.

I have this doorbell, I could not get a sensor to work in the chime, and I tried quite a bit.
I did get it working with an old android phone and tasker. If the app opens for the doorbell, turn on a HA switch. And this works well.

1 Like

Matt - did you get one? How has it worked out?