New Google Home device tracker Component - Introduced in HA 0.83

is there a way to at least get rid of the over accumulated tracked devices that my google home picked up? i have over 50 of them lol

2 Likes

Same! If I understand it correctly, some of the MAC addresses for bluetooth are generated and re-generated, rather than being solely hardcoded. If thatā€™s the case and we have no way to flush, this can get silly quick!

I ended up finding out. You can just delete them from your know_devices.yaml file.

That was the first place I looked :slight_smile: they didnā€™t appear to be there. Iā€™ll have to go try again I supposeā€¦

update:
I found them the second time around. instead of using Atom as I had been to edit the file, I opened in Notepad, and there it was at the bottom, all piled up instead of nicely formatted. I cleaned it all out to start over.

I have a Galaxy Note 8 and this doesnā€™t work for me.
There are about 12 Google Home/Minis around my house and only one picked it up. It found the device but about 3 minutes later it switched to Away mode and stayed there.

1 Like

Strange only one picked it up. Did you try going to the web address to see what it can see? http://home_ip_address:8008/setup/bluetooth/scan_results

Are you on the latest Android for the Note 8?

Iā€™m on the Pie beta.

I have 2 other phones in the houseā€¦ a Moto Z Play and a Moto G6 Play.
They also donā€™t show up in the list.
http://home_ip_address:8008/setup/bluetooth/scan_results

1 Like

I have a bit of a workaround for removing the build up of unknown devices in known_devices.yaml.

I add a line (#end-of-my-devices#) to the file and keep all the devices I want to track above this. I then create a script in /config call clean_knowndevices.sh with the following

#!/bin/sh
/bin/sed -i '/#end-of-my-devices#/q' /config/known_devices.yaml

This will delete anything below the matching pattern

You will need to do the following to make it executable

chmod +x /config/clean_knowndevices.sh

You can then use the shell_command to to start the script and create an automation to run it periodically

shell_command:
  clean_knowndevices: /bin/bash /config/clean_knowndevices.sh
2 Likes

works great. Thanks

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re not using hass.io?

I am. just modded the script a bit to use the correct dirs

Thanks Iā€™ll have a go at doing that

I am using hassio

1 Like

Works. Nice!

Did you manage to fix it? Mine shows up only when I am in the Bluetooth settings page, enabling the ā€œNearby device scanningā€ didnā€™t help.

This is awesome to have a Mi band 3 trackerā€¦

Edit: Actually, I canā€™t seem to see mine. Did you do anything extra?

Edit 2: Cancel that. It showed up. All good! Sweet.

@vjmindlab @surge919
For all the people using Samsung devices, hereā€™s the fix:

You gotta go to the Smartthings app and enable this setting:
-Allow Phone Presence Detection (it uses BLE)

2 Likes

Any progress on the random MAC advertisements?
It seems the BLE framework is designed to randomize MAC addresses every time it starts, thereā€™s no possible way to maintain a fixed address. Now my issue is that the only thing that remains constant is one of the attributes, ā€œnameā€.

As it is it seems impossible to track BLE devices as the MAC address will keep changing, any workaround on how to keep track of them? Perhaps a template to dynamically select the tracker based on the name attribute? And then another template to know in which area it is (to which GH it is connected to) based on entity name? IP addresses on GH are already part of the name which could be filtered just like the monster card does.

Going for the monitor seems like an overcomplicated option and Iā€™m still wondering how to do indoor positioning with it. I would need to have a few raspberry pi zeros around and then compare the results coming from each one to see to which one Iā€™m the closest to, is that correct?

Any experience with BLE tags? Same issue? Or will it remain constant until you change the battery?
I was trying FIND and FIND3. FIND I found it very precise and supports MQTT but this integration in Zanzito does not seem to work anymore.

I use the BLE tags on my keys to detect presence. I donā€™t think the MAC address changes on these but it might do after a battery change. The battery lasts 12 months and Iā€™ve been using for 7 months and the MAC address has remained consistent.