New Google Home device tracker Component - Introduced in HA 0.83

Cool, and what do you mean by too sensitive? I mean an indoor room should not have any false trigger problems (like maybe outside with wind or so)

Some Auto sliding doors use integrated PIR and Microwave sensors together to open door (PIR), then keep it open (microwave) so could be great in keeping the state that was triggered by a PIR without timing out and requiring more motion to stay in that state

@BendedArrow maybe we could try using one of these hooked up to a ESP8266 Wifi module???

unless the logic is not part of the sensor itself???

Botts, I will message you with what I have observed, because I sent this off-topic.

Is there a new development on this?

Component says https://www.home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.googlehome/

After running this component for a little while, you will likely see many devices appear. Itā€™s advisable to set the configuration to not discover new devices once the device you want to track have appeared (see device tracker configuration for details).

Would be nice to have that option to stop discovering devices once the device you want to track have appeared.

what is wrong with static IPā€™s for the GHā€™s? I have all my network devices assigned static IPā€™s. It makes things much easier to manage

So it will be able to track also ble devices like mi flora?

@CooleRnax Found my Miband2 have same issue as you. when paired with my phone it will not update rssi signal strength. (even with discover mode on) as soon as I unpair from my phone it started reporting.

@botts Interesting that xiaomi has feature to turn off camera when band is nearby.
I think is still somehow possible to make it work as tracker.

Small Update

FItbit Flex is working great. I have setup an automation to turn off Kitchen light after my setup states I am in another room for at least 2 minutes (and no more turning off while im still in the room :smile:)

OP6T has stopped being reported on some of the google homes. (only fix is to power cycle the google home in question and then it starts reporting straight way? [weird] even though the particular google homes are still reporting the fitbit prior to power cycle.

I have decreased comportment interval to 30 seconds. going to see if this keeps the OP6T reporting

Does anyone know the best way I can report these potential bugs to have these looked at on a component level?

The component is working of this api, best to hit them up there:

1 Like

Personal preference. I guess. These devices are already being automatically detected by another component. I think this component do the same? If you want to have to manually specify IPs, then by all means, do so.

Ok All,

Just an Update, some progress has been made!

I have noticed that the rssi values do not update when out of range! This created issues with my room presence.

But I have noticed that the home or not_home of the devices is not affected by this???

So I have used these states as part on the conditions of the automation, along with the rssi values.

- id: Flex In Main Room
  alias: Flex In Main Room
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    platform: time
    seconds: '/5'
#  trigger:
#    platform: state
#    entity_id: sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi
  condition:
    condition: or
    conditions:
      condition: and
      condtiions:    
      - condition: template
        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.bedroom_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.kitchen_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
#      - condition: template
        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.kitchen_display_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.lounge_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"      
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.hallway_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
    conditions:
      condition: and
      conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: 'device_tracker.bedroom_flex_tracking'
        state: 'not_home'      
        for:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 30    
      - condition: state
        entity_id: 'device_tracker.lounge_flex_tracking'
        state: 'not_home'      
        for:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 30
  action:
#    - delay: 00:00:10
#   - condition: and
#      conditions:
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.bedroom_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.kitchen_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.kitchen_display_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.lounge_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"      
#        value_template: "{{ ( states.sensor.hallway_flex_rssi.state ) > ( states.sensor.mainroon_flex_rssi.state )  }}"    
    - service: input_select.select_option
      data:
        entity_id: input_select.dan_room_location2
        option: Main Room      

All the commented out stuff is what I have been testing then omitting based on accuracy of room detection

Iā€™m hoping @ludeeus can explain why the rssi does not ā€˜resetā€™ when there is NO update ā€˜new responseā€™ from the google home. As I would have thought (not knowing how to code) that the latest ā€˜bump ghlocalapi to use clear_scan_resultā€™ would clear results from previous scan?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

That only clear the list that is on the ā€œhubā€ so we can fetch new data.

Hi @ludeeus Thanks for your response! As I said I have know idea what Im talking about here! haha!

Do you have any suggestions as to:

how I could set the rssi value to (eg -100) if there is no updated rssi value after X time?

and

set an initial_state value to the rssi, so if there is no response, a value is usable in an automation after restart of HASS?

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea, you could potentially do this with templates, but Iā€™m not sure how you should do it.

@ludeeus On a component level is there a way you could clear the values from the last scan, if there is no update based on the :

device tracker parameter

interval_seconds:

when there is no updated response from the google home?

I am wondering if I am missing something.

I am using a zones.yaml file to track GPS zoones.
I hope home-assistant is planing to do something similar, for indoor tracking also?

I would like to define diffrent rooms/zoones in the house, based on my google homes and other bluetooth devices, in a simular way as I can do with find3: https://github.com/schollz/find3

Then It would be easy to create automation based on indore tracking.

Does anyone know if this will work to detect a Tile Mate device tracker? Thinking of attaching one to my catā€™s collar and using Google home device tracking to indicate when theyā€™re home. (As well as using the Tile app when Iā€™m actually at home!)

Thereā€™s a tile tracker - https://www.home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.tile/

Yes, but that would only work when your tile is near to the relevant phone with the app? Which isnā€™t much good for a cat.