New Hass.io images, based on HassOS

I’m actually trying that right now, if this fails I’ll go back to resin. Man, pretty frustrating not spotting that 5 sd card burns ago…

I don’t know about running slower but I am pretty sure it starts slower.
It was bad enough before but several minutes to restart when making changes to my config is putting me off wanting to change/add/enhance anything! :scream:

Remember to contribute back to the docs to help clarify if something is not clear

2 Likes

There’s a donation page for purchasing hardware to get a supported build:

1 Like

Hi, guys. I installed a new HassOS on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ and I am a little confused: How should I connect like Pi user now for installing some new features or configurations? e.g. I need to install LIRC, configure CloudMQTT bridge, configure raspi-config, setting up platform rpi_rf, etc. Thanks in advance for yours advices.

HassOS is for the pi. It has no bearing on what is going on inside any other OS.

Just use normal Home Assistant Docker.

It sounds an awful lot like you need hassbian.

Anyone clear instruction on how to setup wifi on hassos?

1 Like

All good so far, thanks for all the hard work your an amazing teamgiphy

I setup 64bit on rpi b. Everything is ok, except the dht sensor (there was an error since 0.73) and rpi_gpio . Everyone else has the same problem?

3B+ here, boots up and connects to network OK, but connection refused to ip:8123. What can I try?

1 Like

It actually appears that the correct method (and other updates regarding this new version) got pushed to the Getting Started page already: https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/

I have been running hass.io on a rpi3B+ with Raspbian Stretch. Webmin and Node-Red are also running.

Conversion to HassOS worked as advertised except that four of thirteen add-ons were not installed. They are all from third parties. One is a local modification found in the Addon directory. Not difficult to fix if you have local backups of the other available Samba directories (share, addon, config, ssl) in addition to backup.

But, the HassOS version seems slower to (re)start than the Raspbian version. So I timed them. The HassOS version consistently takes 4 minutes and 24 seconds to present the UI upon restart. The Raspbian version is ready in 2 minutes and 26 seconds. No errors in either log. Have repeated these results many times.

I had the rpi_gpio issue too. Reverting now back to resin…

same for me…very slow to boot whitout error

thanks for this I’ll donate now.

I install HassOS to Raspbian Stretch Lite as Docker, but I can not install HA. Hassio folder content has all files, but the “homeassistant” subfolder is empty. Do anyone know, how can I figureout this problem?

root@raspberrypi:~# curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3-64

[Info] Install supervisor docker
[Info] Install supervisor startup scripts
[Info] Install AppArmor scripts
[Info] Run Hass.io

I see this, but nothing happens.

Thanks

HassOS IS the OS. You can’t install HassOS IN Docker.

I think you are slightly confused on what HassOS is.

OK, but I have installed that as you advised from official link: [https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/tree/master/install#install-hassio]. It’s probably not the OS but IO :slight_smile:

Excellent stuff - nice work. Migrated my system to hassIo 1.5 earlier today.

I hit a corrupt SD card on first attempt, but second attempt on another fresh 16gb class 10 went through fine,
Just has to adjust the DHCP reservation for the new RPI3B+ to match the original IP, and restore in the snapshot - all good using zwave.

Also I had to cut away a little plastic on an existing RPI2B+ case for it to be able to take the rpi3b+ board.

Couple of random questions;

• Is the HassOS base file system optimised for SD cards or does it have the same write load as the older ResinOS based ones?
  • How are update to the hassIO handled? Is it still; hassio supervisor update via the ssh prompt?

Is the general opinion still that the reliability of the RPI3b+ platform is help back by the reliability of SD cards in general?

Just on the startup time…
Today I restarted and got these warnings:

These first four: it doesn’t seem right to take this long to set up something so simple and I have never seen them before

2018-07-13 07:50:22 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of group is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-07-13 07:50:22 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_select is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-07-13 07:50:24 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_text is taking over 10 seconds.
2018-07-13 07:50:25 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_boolean is taking over 10 seconds.

This I always used to get so no change:

2018-07-13 07:50:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of config is taking over 10 seconds.

This I started getting since v0.7x.x (not sure exactly) and I’d really like to know why:

2018-07-13 07:51:44 WARNING (SyncWorker_12) [soco.discovery] Can't make a discovery socket for 92.242.132.15: OSError: [Errno 99] Address not available

And this too is not new but included for completeness:

2018-07-13 07:52:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting

I’m just adding this info in case it is useful for anyone who might be looking into the slow start-up times