New Home Assistant install and no Hass.io (Docker)

So I have just installed Home Assistant (0.80.3) on my Epenology (Synology) Nas Via Docker. I can get to my install, see all my Google Home minis. Which are pretty much my only smart device in the house.

I do not see a Hass.io tab, from my understanding this needs to be installed as I’m using a vanilla Home Assistant install. But I can’t for the life of me find an install instructions for just Hass.io, all my searches come back with RasberyPie images of full Home Assistant installs.

Thanks for any feed back.

You need to install Hass.io in Docker not home assistant. They are two different things.

Oops just realised Dake’s Script is unfortunately not going to work on Synology…

Instead take a read here but I’m not familiar with Synology so might not be appropriate. They have their own app manager don’t they ?

One thing more…if you are running Hass.io then make sure make sure to enable the Hass.io panel by adding either discovery: or hassio: to your configuration.

1 Like

One thing more…if you are running Hass.io then make sure make sure to enable the Hass.io panel by adding either discovery: or hassio: to your configuration.

Where do I add this?

Synology uses www.docker.com which is not their own app application manager but virtual environment. You can run a ton of stuff in it.

The instructions are in the middle of the page. It doesn’t give the option to install a container with Hass.io on it.
Installation - Home Assistant

When I add hassio: to my configuration.yaml file I get an Invalid config error.
hassio

Adding discovery: doesn’t seem to do anything.

I thought you can’t run HASSIO in docker?

I am interested if you can now.

you can run hassio in docker in fact hassio ONLY runs in docker. I did a generic linux install of hassio with a host OS of debian and it works fine (with the hassio panel)

to the OP you installed Home Assistant in Docker which is not hassio. I don’t know if you can install hassio as a generic linux install on synology. You will have to check the hassio installation instructions.

This is what I installed.
Https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant/

Are there different instructions then these?

Installing Home Assistant in Docker is not the same as installing Hass.io/Docker. Yes there are different instructions.
https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/
Look down the bottom for installation instructions on a generic linux server

@bucket … as linked in post 2 of this topic…

If you installed home assistant on Docker, you you are not running hassio.

If you are not running hassio, you will not have hassio menu or add-ons

You cannot “install” hassio on top of home assistant, it is its own instance of home assistant.

If you are running a Synology, it is likely you CANNOT run hassio.

You can replicate everything that you can get in hassio with just normal docker containers. You don’t NEED hassio.

1 Like

“You can replicate everything that you can get in hassio with just normal docker containers. You don’t NEED hassio.”

I want to install deconz addon . Is that possible without hassio??
I have installed home assitance (manual installation method.)

I dont have hassio tab . So I cant edit configuration files and work with addons.
can you help me??

So install docker and run the deconz image?

You actually CAN edit configuration files, and you aren’t supposed to have a hassio tab, because you didn’t install hassio.

Why did you install it the manual way if you don’t know your way around linux?

thanks for reply.
I already installed hass.io and worked with deconz addon too.But I want to add new cluster through deconz UI . But I cant able to access Deconz file. [ I cant able to see the deconz file [tat folder path is missing] in hass.io so i cant able to add “custom.xml” to the deconz UI ]
I understood they run on different instance . So i thought of installing home assitance in manual way . But there is no hassio tab .
I found this
Whitelist_external_dirs: and the Fatal error while loading config: 'packages' problem

From above link I understood Installing hass.io and should edit the configuration.yaml file with /whitelist-external-dirs and reboot or restart hass.io to access the files
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/basic/
I didnt try yet. I dunno whether it will work or not.

whitelisting has nothing to do with hassio…

“You actually CAN edit configuration files, and you aren’t supposed to have a hassio tab, because you didn’t install hassio.”

I dont have hassio tab. I cant install configurator addon and other addons . Is it still possible to edit the configuration.yaml file???

Deconz folder path is missing in hass.io

how to resolve this problem ?

YES!

How do you suppose we did it before “the configurator”? How do you think people use Home Assistant without Hassio??

Seriously…I don’t use hassio, but I have full access to my configurations. You have access to the OS, edit the files as you need. Or install Samba, or use ftp, or use sshfs, sftp, blah blah blah. There are a hundred ways to do this.

how is the folder path missing from hassio?

What exactly are you trying to do???

if you want to whitelist a directory, whitelist the directory!

how is the folder path missing from hassio?

I installed hass.io from below
Installation - Home Assistant
and den installed deconz addon and ssh addon.
I dont see the deCONZ folder path in hass.io

What exactly are you trying to do???

I want to add new cluster and intergrate with home assitance . By default you have general.xml in deCONZ folder . So I thought of adding my custom.xml to the file through ssh.
file:///C:/Users/akshaya/Downloads/deCONZ-BHB-en.pdf
From above , Chapter 10 says we can add custom cluster.
I cant able to access the file . They run on different instance .

if you want to whitelist a directory, whitelist the directory!

If I whitelist the directory , tat particular directory will be available in hass.ioso that i can access the file from deconz UI.

Seriously…I don’t use hassio, but I have full access to my configurations. You have access to the OS, edit the files as you need. Or install Samba, or use ftp, or use sshfs, sftp, blah blah blah. There are a hundred ways to do this.

I thought without addons we cant do anything.

OK?

soooooo…whitelist the directory??

Seriously?

I want you to think about this. How would anyone use home assistant if this were the case? Do you really think that many people would run home assistant at all if this were true?

This is some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard. Home Assistant has many options to install, hassio being only ONE of them. Everyone that is NOT running hassio still has access to their configuration files. Hassio isn’t magical…

soooooo…whitelist the directory??

will tat solve my problem??