New Insteon version for beta testing - (Do not use since this is now in 0.111 and higher)

@peter_k, yes you are right. I am not using the data fields today with scenes. It is a binary on/off only right now. The issue is different devices use the data fields differently. I will have that by the end of the year but need to prioritize it.

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense, but can you tell me which messages you’re looking at to pull this information from?

2020-08-17 18:31:52 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device yyyyyy group 2 value 170

Is that coming from directly from the Fanlinc or is that coming from the scene broadcast message? The reason I ask is that when I put my PLM into promiscuous mode via the Insteon Terminal application and trigger the scene from the KPL, I don’t see any response from the Fanlinc in the output.

Thanks!
-Peter

@Peter_K, I need to look at this more. After re-reading your original post, I think the fanlinc should show the proper value in HA. When I revisited the code recently, it is not just doing a basic on/off check based on the all-link database, it is actually getting the device status so HA should see the actual value of the device at that point. the message you show above with Received update for device yyyyyy group 2 value 170 is coming form HA which means that the fan speed is set to 170 (or 67% where 255 if the fully on state). Can you send me the section of the logs where you use the KPL to set the fan speed? Put both the pyinsteon messages and topics as well as the insteon component in HA to debug mode.

I would like to test out this capability. Do you have any directions for newbies to get this insteon integration setup? I have been using isy-994i to control 50+ switches for the past 10 years or so, but don’t like the limitation with control over non-insteon devices lately. I have only been using HA on and off for the past year, so am very new to this. I followed the directions here - https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/bdytqs/insteon_setup_with_ha/ - to add the basic Insteon integrations, but am having minimal luck getting devices added. Auto-discovery picked up 3-4 switches and updated the file insteon_devices.json; and so far my manual efforts to add other switches by updating configuration.yaml isn’t working. Hopefully this Insteon integration will be easier / more powerful.

@teharris1 Hi! I agree that it seems like the component is getting the right value for the fan speed group. I checked the log when commanding the Fanlinc from HA via the fan control Lovelace card (first half) and from the KPL (second half). It looks like the reported values for the low and medium speeds are different depending on which controller (HA vs KPL) is used to set the speed. Perhaps that’s the issue? The group 2 values for each speed are set by the Fanlinc module (with a button that cycles between low-med-high-off) so those aren’t user-adjustable when pairing with a KPL, but I’m guessing the Fanlinc probably accepts (and regulates speed) across the full 0-255 range, which must be how HA controls it.

#Cycling Medium-High-Low-Off via Lovelace Fan card
2020-09-07 14:31:26 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 192
2020-09-07 14:31:41 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 255
2020-09-07 14:31:45 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 64
2020-09-07 14:31:49 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 0

#Cycling Low-Medium-High-Off via KPL
2020-09-07 14:32:43 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.utils] Firing event insteon.button_on with {'address': '4b5ea2', 'button': 'b'}
2020-09-07 14:32:47 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 85
2020-09-07 14:32:51 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.utils] Firing event insteon.button_on with {'address': '4b5ea2', 'button': 'd'}
2020-09-07 14:32:53 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 170
2020-09-07 14:32:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 4b5ea2 group 5 value 255
2020-09-07 14:32:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.utils] Firing event insteon.button_on with {'address': '4b5ea2', 'button': 'c'}
2020-09-07 14:33:01 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 255
2020-09-07 14:33:02 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.utils] Firing event insteon.button_on with {'address': '4b5ea2', 'button': 'a'}
2020-09-07 14:33:07 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 51ceb6 group 2 value 0

I started a new post regarding the Insteon control panel that I have been working on. Please check it out.

Dumb question. First post here at HASSIO.

The title of this thread is “New Insteon version for beta testing - (Do not use since this is now in 0.111 and higher)”

Does the “Do not use” comment refer to not using this thread? Because I couldn’t find a newer thread. Or does it refer to not using some particular version of the software?

By the way, how do I figure out what version of the integration I am using?

My thermostat card is displaying the current temp correctly 70F, but the set points are wrong. It appears it’s actually converting them to Celsius. I have them set to 70-86 and the card shows 158-187.

Just installed this beta version. Now it looks like all my insteon devices have been duplicated with the original devices now being unavailable. Is this expected or did I miss a step in the install?

There also isn’t an Integration displayed in the webUI for Insteon2. Only the original Insteon.

Errors generated by Insteon2 install-

Platform insteon2 does not generate unique IDs. ID 121348 already exists - ignoring switch.togglelinc_on_off_12_13_48_2
10:28:46 AM – Switch (ERROR) - message first occurred at 10:27:47 AM and shows up 20 times
Platform insteon2 does not generate unique IDs. ID 54575b_3 already exists - ignoring binary_sensor.motion_sensor_ii_54_57_5b_battery_2
10:27:47 AM – Binary sensor (ERROR) - message first occurred at 10:27:47 AM and shows up 14 times
Unexpected error importing insteon/media_source.py
10:27:47 AM – loader.py (ERROR) - message first occurred at 10:27:47 AM and shows up 3 times
Error importing platform config_flow from integration insteon to set up insteon configuration entry: No module named 'custom_components.insteon2.config_flow'
10:27:47 AM – config_entries.py (ERROR)
Light is deprecated, modify InsteonDimmerEntity to extend LightEntity
10:27:35 AM – Light (WARNING)
CoverDevice is deprecated, modify InsteonCoverEntity to extend CoverEntity
10:27:35 AM – Cover (WARNING)
ClimateDevice is deprecated, modify InsteonClimateEntity to extend ClimateEntity
10:27:35 AM – Climate (WARNING)
BinarySensorDevice is deprecated, modify InsteonBinarySensorEntity to extend BinarySensorEntity
10:27:35 AM – Binary sensor (WARNING)
SwitchDevice is deprecated, modify InsteonSwitchEntity to extend SwitchEntity
10:27:35 AM – Switch (WARNING)

Full log

Please do not dot use this component as a custom component.

This is already merged into Home Assistant master code.

You won’t find any difference but errors probably.

Thanks. Just noticed the change in the thread title. DUH

Having issues with Insteon, I cleared the Insteon config out of config, and added the integration with UI. What do I do next to configure Insteon?

Hi, if you have issues after that delete de insteon_devices file on the HA config folder and reboot. It will take time to rebuilt the database depends on how many devices you have.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey Guys,

First of all thank you very much for your hard work Mr. Harris!
Not sure though if this is the correct topic… but i couldn’t find any related topic
Lately im having issues with my Insteon Thermostat (2441ZTH) along with Insteon Hub (2245-555) in Home Assistant.
Home Assistant Details:

Version 0.118.5
Installation Type - Home Assistant OS
Development - false
Supervisor - true
Docker - true
Virtual Environment - false
Python Version - 3.8.6
Operating System Family - Linux
Operating System Version - 4.19.127-v8
CPU Architecture - aarch64

The Thermostat display shows Fahrenheit values instead of Celsius values (as i set it before), then in the Home Assistant thermostat card i can see it in negative Celsius.
When im changing from Fahrenheit to Celsius at the device itself, after couple of minutes its changing back to Fahrenheit without any human intervene.
i was configured the logger to be verbose (debug mode) to find whats going on and i can see the insteon set the thermostat to Celsius but not vice versa (or i think i see :slight_smile:)

2020-12-17 20:51:30 DEBUG (MainThread) [pyinsteon.messages] RX: msg_id: 0x50, address: 394144, target: 455e9a, flags: 0x20, cmd1: 0x6b, cmd2: 0x06

So i have 2 questions:

1. I did notice that the “insteon_devices.json” has
"operating_flags": {}, "properties": {}

that are empty. can i use it to set the thermostat to be celsius permanently and if so how should i do it?

1. there is any configuration part for the pyinsteon somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

*** update ***
Ive deleted manually the thermostat from the “insteon_devices.json” and restart HA.
After couple of min i could notice the thermostat created again but now with the flags!

operating_flags": {},
“properties”: {
“program_lock_on”: false,
“key_beep_on”: false,
“button_lock_on”: false,
“celsius”: true,
“time_24_hour_format”: false,
“led_on”: false,
“temp_offset”: 61,
“humidity_offset”: 0,
“backlight”: 0,
“change_delay”: 100
}
}

As you can see above ive got the params ok and changed manually the “Celsius” param from “false” to “true”.
Back to the thermostat device itself again, changed manually the thermostat from Fahrenheit to Celsius, restart HA, waited couple of min, and then BOOM! Fahrenheit back again on the thermostat display :frowning: , HA device & entity remained in Celsius though…

if anyone has any directions for me why the Insteon thermostat repeatedly changing from celsius to fahrenheit i will really appreciate it, already spent so many hours on this.

Thanks!

Hey Again,

I want to add some new devices such Insteon Motion Sensor II into the pyinsteon module.
Do you know where i can find some docs about it?

Thanks again!
Ofer

I’m finding the Insteon integration painfully slow. I used the UI version (not custom-component) on the latest version of HASS and while it found all my devices (yay!) controlling those devices is pretty much unusable.

Coming from my old Home Automation, the Insteon time was nearly instant, but under this integration it can take 1-5 seconds to turn on a device and about 50% of the time it doesn’t work at all, the switch in HA just returns back to where it was (i.e., I turn it on, nothing happens and the toggle goes back off).

My CPU and memory usage is nearly zero, so my Py is not overloaded, so I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to speed things up. This represents about 50% of my devices (the other being Z-Wave) so having this kind of performance makes HASS almost completely unusable for me.

Hello! Please read the instructions on the home-assistant component page to add battery operated devices.