I have finally completed significant improvements to the Insteon component. It is based on a new underlying library called
pyinsteon. There are a number of improvements and bug fixes. Unfortunately, this release can not be done incrementally so it is a significant change and I want to make sure it is well tested with real users as much as possible.
In order to test the release without disrupting the current release, I have created a custom component. It is available on git hub:
Please use this thread to provide feedback. I have been running it in my own house for quite a while and have done a lot of testing. I feel like it is very close to complete so I am introducing it now for feedback.
Some of the improvements in this release include:
- Auto-discovery also identifies battery-operated devices just by triggering the device rather than using device overrides
- The All-Link database is used to determine cascading state changes (ie. device 1 triggers device 2)
- Operating flags and extended properties are loaded and used to identify device behaviors in the following devices:
- Events are published and can be listened for like a double tap on/off
- Hub users can use it interchangeably with the Hub app. The state will update in HA.
- Full support for the Thermostat
There is also a significantly improved command-line tool that allows for setting operating flags and extended properties to configure devices to behave as desired.
It also fixes a number of bugs including the issue with the frontend breaking if the connection is lost.