New phone merges with old phone

I bought a new phone, before starting the new phone I added “_old” to all entities of the old phone.
When I installed the app on the new phone it was already set up to some degree, It know my duckdns URL, but I don’t use that I use nabu casa.
But the phone is not added as a new device, it’s merged with the old.

I tried to uninstall the app and install it again, and again it was again to some degree (duckdns and some senseors) and again it got merged with the old phone.
How can I force this as a new device. I have also tried to restart HA.

We restore via app backup so things like settings come back to your account. When you switch phones it’s not an issue but if you plan to use the old phone then you need to remove the integration and start new with the devices.

I see…
I will have to think about what to do here…

Thanks!

I have a similar problem. I have deleted the app off all phones including deleting storage and cache data and deleted the devices from the HA integration, this appears to remove the integration entirely, however when i re-install the app on my phone the original settings re-appear including the old url which is now defunct and the integration is not available, although the app is connecting to HA data via the Nabu Casa url after I copied into the phone app.

This is frustrating, I cannot change the name of the device from my old phone, when i do it returns as soon as I close the settings page.

You dont manually delete it that way, you just need to remove the integration to clear it out. Then clear data in the app.

Yes google has a backup feature that will auto-restore. Simply change the URL in settings once you open up and the app will use that . You should also ensure the internal and external URL in your HA configuration is correct as you mentioned it has changed.

There is no way to remove the integration (as far as I am aware) without first removing all the devices listed in the integration. Once the last device has been removed the integration is deleted. But I also wanted to remove the old settings e.g. URL / Name of device as it was picking up the old values from somewhere. This all came about because I bought a new phone and updated the server. Can you be more specific in your suggestions please? thanks

By the way, removing everything then adding back the app on my new phone results in the old settings and the integration does not appear in HA.

I guess you missed this?

Once the app opens up and it hits the wrong URL you will get a pop-up that has a settings button. You click on settings and you change the URL from there.

Try these steps: Troubleshooting | Home Assistant Companion Docs

1 Like

Actually no I didn’t that removes the device, its a semantic point. How do you think I removed the device? All my devices seem to pick up the old URL so I had to delete them all. One by one. Sorry if we misunderstood each other.

Removing hte integration is what you want to do, you dont just remove the device. The device is linked to the integration.

OK here is my progress, any help would be gratefully received.

1. Removed devices and integrations as per https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/resetting
  2. Reinstall app, (it still installs with the original URL and device name)
  3. Restart HA
  4. No integration appears in HA
  5. Webhooks remain in Nabu Casa although show as deleted. (not sure if this is relevant).

Installed beta-697-1519574-full

Questions:
Where are the URL and Name stored if I have deleted all of the data in the app before deleting and the integration is not installed?
How can I reestablish the integration between HA <> Android App and Nabu Casa.

you actually want the android specific steps

as per android auto backup this is correct, for the steps refer to the link up above as the step for clearing data will give the app a fresh start

Thanks dshokouhi, I did try the android specific steps as you can see from my earlier info. As I am running the beta the steps in the link I included are a little more comprehensive in identifying where files are stored.

You mention android backup, I cannot find anywhere where I can disable or delete any backup of settings that may be interfering. Do you know where to look.

As a footnote, I successfully deleted and re-installed / integrated three other devices, all are running Android 5.x (old tablets) the only issue I am having is with V11 on my phone.

Further update:
This issue is now closed. Thanks dshokouhi for your assistance. I found the setting in play store for disabling automatic updates of apps.

Settings > Network Preferences > Auto-update apps > Don’t auto-update apps

HA app now installed correctly and integrated into HA.