New pi 3b+ supported?

As the title says, is the new pi 3b+ model supported by hassio?

2 Likes

HASS.IO uses Docker and Docker is bound to the CPU architecture and the kernel. So it should because both have not changed.

There are different images for the Pi 2 and 3, are you sure there’s no need for a separate one?

well, the 2 and 3 were different. :wink:

Well, I’m a software guy and read there are hardware differences in CPU, Network and Bluetooth…

HASSio runs on Docker which runs on Resin OS which is developed for raspberry pi 1,2 and 3.

Both versions of the pi 3 run the same basic 64bit broadcom processor. I don’t think it’ll be a problem.

Even if it were, I’m sure ResinOS will update quickly if needed since its their main target platform.

Ethernet and wifi are different I think, hence my question.

Yes, on a hardware level. The Linux kernel and the underlying operating system will cover this for us.

1 Like

And because the 3b+ is only just announced I’m curious if existing resin based solutions can boot on it with all hardware working out of the box. Or that we have to ‘wait’ for an updated hassio sdcard image that works on the 3b+

Mods: Please close thread as this is going nowhere.

I know with OSMC that they released an update to support the new Pi3B+ - they say if you have an existing installation that you need to update that to the latest before you plug the SD-Card into the new Pi so I’d guess it probably won’t work. Or someone could just take a punt and try it…

They also released a new Raspbian yesterday to work with the 3B+. I would guess that some changes will be required.

It seems to have Bluetooth 4.2 with BLE. Love to see BLE working in HassIO on the Pi. Never got it working on the 3B version.

Well is also not working with a Intel NUC with Ubuntu 16.04. Problem is there since months

hass.io with better support for more powerful hardware like Intel NUC (Bluetooth still dont work?), Pi3+ and the new Asus Tinker Board S with build in 16GB eMMC storage would have been great.

When the smart home install starts to grow like 30-40+ zwave devices and many other components the Pi3 and most likely pi3+ to is a bit slow.

Off course can always use hassbian or home assistant on any Linux install but like the simplicity with hass.io :slight_smile:

Hassio is not running on the 3B+, except for a blinking red led on the Pi nothing happens.
The new Raspbian image start without problems.

1 Like

Got the exact same issue. I updated everyhing , but it doesn’t work … yet

I just bought a Pi not realising the 3B+ has only just been released. Same issue here, red light blinks slow 4 times, quick 4 times.

Did you try another OS or another power source? The red light is usually indicating an issue with power management.

1. The red power LED should be on all the time. If it goes out or blinks, your PSU (or cable if separate) is inadequate.

Source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58151#p603018

The blinking of the led (sequence:several long and short blinks) is caused by the software on the SD card.
Only blinks when Hassio image SD card is placed (clean install), replacing the SD card with Raspbian the 3B+ runs normaly.
Also tried several power suplies with different currents, all with the same result.
I just have to be patient for a new Hassio image supporting the 3B+.