NEW Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

For those that aren’t aware, Raspberry Pi just announced the 3B+
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/

Some of the highlights are:

• A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
  • Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
  • Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
  • Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
  • Improved thermal management

It’s already available at places such as The Pi Hut and Pimoroni in the UK.
I have definitely just ordered one!

Who else has taken the plunge?

I’m keen to see what kind of benefits this might have for some of my uses :slight_smile: and give it a go with Hassio!

9 Likes

I ordered one this morning. The Pi 3 I’m currently using for HomeAssistant will go to the kids (they love Scratch)

Anyone know if I can use the current Hassbian Image?

I’m considering getting one of these, but to replace my Plex client :smiley:

Will have to look into Scratch.

Is Hassbian still maintained? It appeared to be last updated in Oct '17. I thought everyone had moved to Hass.io or Docker?

No SATA, no USB3. I’m dissapointed.

1 Like

@Bieniu - I really don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon, considering the extra £££ it would incur and I would imagine the use of SATA would be pretty niché.

1 Like

I believe not - you need the latest firmware from 2018-03-13 to run it, as I understood. I guess you can install Hassbian on a current model, do all the raspbian updates, then move it over to the 3B+?

Note: I am not 100% sure that is correct, but was the impression I got reading the comments on the announcement page!

I appreciate them improving the connectivity but I think using the gigabit terminology is deceiving when it’s over usb 2.0. At best it can’t even hit half the throughput required.

Did they introduce separate busses for the Ethernet, USB, sdcard and Wi-Fi connections? I don’t see anything like that? That’s the real performance issue in my opinion.

I picked up one this morning as well. Don’t really need it as so far Hass.io has been solid on my current pi but I couldn’t resist.

Will this mean I can power it solely by Ethernet, removing the need for wall plug?

Only if you buy the HAT for it. It doesn’t have POE directly on the network port

1 Like

The what now? :slight_smile:

• A 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
  • Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2
  • Faster Ethernet (Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0)
  • Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)
  • Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
  • Improved thermal management

Notice how it says separate PoE HAT?

This is one

1 Like

As flamingm0e stated you would need the add on board that coverts the 48V POE power down to 5V that the Pi uses.

Also you would need a POE switch, POE injector or other source of power on your Ethernet line for the HAT to receive.

@silvrr @mvdkleijn it is “Gigabit” ethernet, but it is rated for 300Mbps, still shared with the USB ports.

Some real world tests say 330Mbps with ethernet, 105Mbps wifi. See https://libreelec.tv/2018/03/libreelec-krypton-8-2-4-mr

Well, it arrived!

I really like the little logo’d cover just under the GPIO.

I’m starting to get a real collection here :smirk: And this doesn’t even include the ones in use, or Zeros! EEK

4 Likes

What I’m wondering…

The pi3+ has a 16% performance boost over the pi3 according to several tests.

I also heard that adding cooling fins on pi3 and older improves performance.

If you were to add cooling fins to the pi3+'s covered broadcom chip, would more than the clocked 16% be achievable? :smile:

On the release page, they say:

Below 70°C, we use the improvements to increase the core frequency to 1.4GHz. Above 70°C, we drop to 1.2GHz, and use the improvements to decrease the core voltage

So, I think if you can keep the core cool, you avoid the drop in performance and get more out of it for longer.

So i got my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and downloaded the Pi 3 image “resinos-hassio-1.3-raspberrypi3.img” but have now have realized that it’s not yet supported with Pi 3 B+.

Anyone with insight that knows when the support for hassio will come to the Raspberry Pi3 Model B+

5 Likes

Yea, I haven’t had any luck with the Pi3 Hassio image either.
I’m going to try and see what’s going on, but haven’t had chance yet.

1 Like