NEW Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

They’ve just updated Hassbian to work with the new pi

So I’m guessing (hoping) the Hass.io version shouldn’t be too far away.

2 Likes

Got my new Pi 3B+ and have moved my Hassbian Home Assistant install to it, for anyone interested it’s an easy migration from the Pi 3B, here’s what I did to get it all working:

• Noted the MAC addres of the new Pi.
  • In the router DHCP settings, replaced the MAC address of the old Pi with that of the new one.
  • Made sure the old Pi is fully up to date.
  • After powering down both devices, moved the storage device from the old Pi to the new one. ***

Powered on the device and HomeAssistant worked perfectly, I only ran into problems with PiHole and SoftEther VPN server as they apparnetly bind to the MAC address of your network device, after changing that all OK.

*** Usually your Micro SD card, In my case an SSD via USB port, don’t forget to enable USB boot mode on the new Pi if you’re running from SSD/USB stick

Was that with hassio or another haspbian?

For the folks that are wondering about HASSio, it is (as you know) basically a set of docker containers in ResinOS. So the question if HASSio will support pi3b+ soon-ish boils mostly down to if ResinOS does.

I believe HASSio is using ResinOS 1.3 and the latest one is 2.0?

Hassbian, I’ve edited my post to make it clearer.

Hi Guys

I am new to HA so been running hass.io on a old pi 1st gen. I’m loving it so deciding to update my pi.

Can anyone tell me whether the pi 3b+ is supported? If not should I just get a pi 3 or wait because the pi3b+ will be supported soon?

1 Like

At the moment, the Pi 3B+ isnt supported by Hass.io
I don’t think the issue is with Hass itself, more a ResinOS issue.

resinOS v2.12.5, which was released yesterday, has now support for the rpi 3b+.

so this shouldn’t take too long from now.

7 Likes

Hello,

Has anyone had any issues with running HASSBIAN on the 3B+ yet?

I did a fresh install of the HASSBIAN image and set up everything from scratch, but I get regular freezes where neither the Home Assistant front end or HADashboard are accessible?

When it works, it works great, but these freezes are regular, maybe 6 or 7 times a day (depending on how soon I notice and if I am home to reboot).

I did setup the watchdog and it was rebooting regularly with /var/log/messages not changed in over 1407 seconds, I changed this to monitor /var/log/syslog this morning, but it has frozen to external access again, but not rebooted.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Seamus65

What are you powering it with? If it’s not a proper USB power supply capable of at least 2.4A (for example, you’re using any form of mobile charger) then you’ll have problems like this.

Does anyone have a link to the build process for ResinOS?

I am using a new official raspberry pi power supply.

Got home tonight and I can ssh in, I can access my sub camera running through motion, but home assistant is not running.

The error said something about ‘signal’, but I can’t find any information on this…

You are right, I inserted sd card with hassio installed in Rasp pi 3 B + and green LED is not blinking at all.

What should we do in order resolve this issue?

Thanks

I use Hassbian with the latest Pi since a week and it works perfectly @seamus65
Try maybe to install another OS, and if it’s locking as well, it would prove that it’s not Hassbian s fault, and return the Pi to the shop.

If you can share the actual error message, it might be possible for somebody to help, With a single word out of it though… :man_shrugging:

Sorry, I was away from my computer:

Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘signal’.
Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=killed, status=4/ILL
Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 4 10:38:14 hassbian systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘signal’.

That seems to be the message in the log whenever I have problems…

got same problems here:

Hope HA launch the image for your Raspberry Pi 3 model B+ very soon.

But, I’m using layest hassbian image on rpi3b+ no hass.io

That’s a bad sign. If you installed Hassbian 1.3.2 then I’d suggest you open an issue.

Issue opened.

It’s my first time opening an issue and I am away from home, but hopefully I have put in enough information.