New Tuya Integration - Can't get it working. This is a UX disaster

You don’t have to download an apk, so you must have taken a wrong turn somewhere

I don’t recall any app download, are you sure?

How did you arrive at that ? I was never asked to download anything.

On the app to download. I did your same mistake the first couple of times.

The error is likely this:

When you are on the Devices, don’t click yet on the big blue button labeled Add Device. You have to first click a second level tab called Link Tuya App Account and only then, you have to click on the blue button, now labeled Add App Account. This will give you a QR code, than when scanned by the Tuya App, will correctly link your app with that project you are configuring (but since you were not a fan of the UX so far, you son’t like the fact that the message to accept is in Chinese).

Not meaning to sound like a whiney, complaining “Karen” but… what a hot mess.

1 Like

I am tired with all these discussion and dumped the old integration as a custom component into a GitHub repository. Please check out if you are interested

1 Like

Maybe those of you with Tuya products who feel like they have been disregarded with this new version should also make their displeasure known by dropping their Nabu Casa subscription.

There are many who subscribe just to support them, but at the moment they are not really supporting you.

Just a thought!

1 Like

Ahhh. Okay that’s where I went wrong. Thanks a lot.

My verdict remains: this is a shitty user experience. I’d be fine with this if it were a third party open source integration. But for an official thing by the manufacturer it’s a total mess.

1 Like

I have to be honest the onboarding is crappy. Setting up the extra Dev account is perverse, and yes, I wonder when the “free trial” will turn into “please pay us”.

On the other hand, this is a formal supported API, unlike the old integration which whilst developed by someone at Tuya, quickly stagnated when they moved on. And apparently will be shut down by end of year.

That’s true for exactly 100% of the cloud-based integrations :wink:

I feel like we are walking in speculation zone rather than facts :slight_smile: my main point;

• there was a well working solution which was announced to be deprecated soon (not a big deal)
  • platform owner company came up with a new solution with some additional steps to follow (not a big deal)
  • we have killed the old one to forcibly move everyone into new one without satisfying the same functionality (not worried about performance here)

The last one was show stopper for me.

1 Like

Although the timing is debatable, the alternative would have been the old one just not working anymore in some months, only delaying the problem.

HA’s mitigating action was to invite Tuya to move what they currently have in HACS to Core.
What would you have suggested?

It was very good that Tuya (as a corporation) created a communication channel here and we could ask them to keep the old one alive until new one is good enough. This could be just a wish and Tuya might say no, I will kill. Maybe all of these actually happened, but we do not know.

1 Like

Indeed.
Let’s thus put speculations apart and take as a fact that the old one will die.

Obviously, HA has no control on what Tuya can / is willing to offer as a replacement, it can only do suggestions.

What then, in HA’s shoes, would have been your course of action? (besides ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I mean :wink: )

your question is about me and my fictional actions, what if situations, which is not unrelated at all. This should be cleared out did HA team ask Tuya if they can prolong the deprecation period until new one is good enough?

• if Tuya said no, then it is a good reason for all user base to ditch tuya, if they want.
  • if Tuya said yes, then what was the hurry?
1 Like

You are speculating Tuya can do better, here…

Hear me: I can understand the frustration, but it’s a situation that can / will arise for any cloud-based integration. Putting the blame on HA is quite unfair, here.

In hindsight, HA doing just plain nothing would have avoid them the blame.
They will remember that the next time such a occurence arise, trust me…

I tried to avoid speculation at all, just asking basic questions without putting answer, just pure questions. Apparently, we have different definitions for speculation. Even more, no blame at all in my posts, feel free to consume as you want.

EDIT: you maybe think that I am walking in speculation zone, I was referring to this message below, if it is going to be paid or when.

The post above which I reacted to didn’t have any questions in it.
Just throwing frustration at we (which I assume is HA).

If that one was not “speculating” that HA could have done better, sorry for the misunderstanding.

You are right in terms of frustration, I just want to learn more about background discussions of this migration. No blame to HA. What HA can do, sharing all these discussions so we all can understand the timing.

1 Like

As we said in another open-source project where I was in the Team:

“If you are not satisfied with the way of working of the Team, you are entitled to a full reimbursement of the cost of the software provided to you for free, and only entitled to that:smiley: