New Z-Wave device not updating to frontend

Thanks for a nudge in the right direction. Searching for z-wave binary reporting and following a rabbit hole eventually led me to this community forum: Changing Motion Sensor from Basic Set to Binary Sensor which included a link for Z-Wave Burglar Entity.

To help others, the Vision/Monoprice ZP3102 motion sensor does not have a config option for changing to Binary Sensor, so you have to create a template binary sensor to read the state of the burglar entity. The binary_sensor that is created automatically for it, seems to be of no use.

Thanks again!

This might be fixed in the new ozw

This is true for almost all “modern” devices. Aeotec seems to be the main mfgr that adds the config setting, but it’s missing on most other devices. The Binary Sensor command class has been deprecated and replaced with the Notification Command class.

you have to create a template binary sensor to read the state of the burglar entity.

This is the correct solution for OZW 1.4 and most sensors. I have many duplicate templates.

The binary_sensor that is created automatically for it, seems to be of no use.

I think this is a bug in the device firmware or Z-Wave SDK version. Almost all of my motion and door sensors (monoprice/vision concidentally) report binary sensor, but if you check the docs they don’t actually claim to implement it. I just disable them and use the templates.

It’s “fixed” in that the OZW integration automatically creates binary sensors for you, using the same logic as the old template sensors. One of the best features of the new integration, for me.