Newbie: Do a i need a separate Raspberry Pi to Install Hass.io

So I understand I have to delete the original non-Hassio installation of home assistant I did earlier. To do I presumed, to stop the container first, delete container and then presumably the associated image.

To stop and remove container

Then deleted image, assuming the HassIO script would download its own image (hence no need to waste space on this existing image):

Then to start with a clean slate I also wanted to stop and delete the container and image for hassio_supervisor

But somehow this container gets restarted automatically when stopped or killed, i have even tried tinkering with the restart settings. However to no avail, it keeps being alive itself, hence I cannot delete its image file.

Without resetting the hassio_supervisor docker, I tried running the curl script , which ran quickly with the [info] output messages, however at the end of script, there is no new homeassistant or hassio container created or pulled. So when I open the browser at localhost:8123, there is nothing shown.

Dont know how to then start over again with a clean slate to have the hass.io docker image running on port 8123.

systemctl stop hassio-supervisor.service

Sure, tried that by issuing this command first and then trying to delete hassio_supervisor container and image, however to no avail.

This container even after issuing the command magically keeps restarting itself.

Will try posting some images for this behaviour.

===================================

Success this time, maybe due to expert touch by @flamingm0e :slight_smile: .

Was able to stop service and then subsequently remove container and image.

Gearing up for starting over again, which supposedly should start with the following for Rpi3?

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s – -m armv71

Thanks.

So, well re ran the script to install Hass.io docker again, apparently it completed successfully

I assume by " [Info] Run Hass.io " it means , to open the browser and point it to localhost:8123 or hassio.local:8123.

So I did, but to my dismay nothing is shown the default blank page still shows.

The network manager is running fine and aint blocking anything in the firewall rules.

However a check for status for hassio supervisor service now shows it is stoppped

Dont know why it has happened, becuase the install cUrl script anyways “enables” and “starts” the service for use and hence throws the “Run Hass.io” message.

The only container to be running in portainer are :

I can see there are no port bindings for hass.io supervisor container. Is it like so, or would it run without any explicit port bindings as well. Is the port 8123 still consumed by old homeassistant docker , hence not assigned to the supervisor docker.

Any help to move forward is appreciated.

==========================

Still not working even when service restarted with

systemctl start hassio-supervisor.service

===========================

Ok looks like a clue.

The service is trying to pull landing page image from a repository that does not exist anymore, its 404. Is it the same on other parts of the internet as well or maybe a problem only with me. So how to fix it , and redirect to a working repository ?

Help returned with smiles :slight_smile: and thanks.

You’re getting confused between installing hass.io and installing home assistant in docker. If you see supervisor, it means you installed hass.io @flamingm0e is not a ‘fan of using hass.io and prefers home assistant in docker. My preference is running hass.io in docker so I get all the addons as part of hass.io and managed in hass.io. Whereas the alternative requires you to install seperate docker containers and manage the relationships between them all so they can talk to each other. Neither approach is wrong they are just different approaches and you are tying yourself in knots as you don’t really understand the differences.

I did use the script by Dale3h to install hass.io in docker and was really happy with it.

Well thanks yeah, the confusion was initially there, but if you see the progression of the thread it is sorted out, and I removed an earlier home assistant docker container/images to go the hass.io way. For Hass.io (docker container apporach), i read the thread where even @flamingm0e relplied himself .

Hass.io via Docker

This is my preference too, hence I am trying to go this way. You can see all above installation approaches and screenshot to substantiate my claim

Absolutely , althgouh a more Pro approach, this way would require extended learning and learning all nuts and bolts, which may come after a while if I get a quick working start and some initial success.

Can you please point the link to this script, and before running it, I assume I should remove all previous container/script to start afresh.

Thanks for your responses.

Ok found it , is it the one ?

The only difference is I am not (niether do I want to) start from a new Raspbian Stretch Lite image, I already have the latest Jessie running, would it make any difference or break of functionality. ?

Thanks.

That is the script.

I 1000% recommend using stretch lite NOT Jessie. Stretch is the latest version of Raspbian and I don’t know why you would want to go backwards!

Is there some reason you don’t want to use Stretch?

Not really, I installed a while ago and let it be, moreover on top of it , I have a running Pi-Hole acting as DNS for all home network devices. So didnt want to upgrade and break any functionality to spend hours in setting up everything again.

But if disto upgrade to stretch is mandatory for going this way then I would have to think about it. Possibly taking an image backup of the current installation, putting an in place upgrade and then trying the script.

We’re talking about a Raspberry Pi where an upgrade is as simple as flashing a card. Is there a reason you need to avoid this?

If I were you I would keep your existing SD as is and then using a second new SD card install Stretch / hass.io in Docker and then see if you can bring your two existing apps over to the new system either standalone or using the available hass.io add-ins… Then you are running latest and supported version of everything. This will make things much easier as you move forward with HA upgrades.

If for some reason you have difficulty transferring Pi-Hole and your Dash setup then you haven’t trashed your original setup.

I agree re: second sd-card. There is a Pi-Hole addon for Hass.io and it’s easy to use I believe. (I don’t use that add-on myself)

Sounds good. For information, can I switch a fully installed (with addons) and setup instance of Hassio on SD Card from one Pi to another Pi . I mean to say are there any configuration variables within HassIo config, which are bound to or fixed on a specific Pi MAC Address and may break when I insert the same SD Card in another PI to make it work.

I was thinking of discarding my Pi exclusively for PiHole and Dash Button instance, and get everything working on one Pi only with Hassio and Pihole+Dasher addons.

Thanks for the information.

You may have an issue if you use wireless but for ethernet, no issue.

It might also depend how you set, some parameters, e.g. your fixed IP address.
If it’s set, e.g. on the router, it will be tied to the MAC address and therefore be different from the previous Pi.
If it’s set on the Pi itself in one of the conf-files it will probably ‘move’ to the new Pi on the SD Card.

so if I’ve already got HassIO on my pi is there a way that I can no install raspbian on the same SD then? I’d like to do so in order to work with raspbi-config to activate the pi cam

if you install the hassio image to your sdcard, THAT is the OS. No, you can’t install raspbian to the same SDCard, and enabling the pi cam with raspbian wouldn’t do ANYTHING for Hassio.

The documentation seems to suggest otherwise:

Well, since HassOS isn’t based on Raspbian, I don’t know how you are going to use it.

I have money on the fact the documentation is written for a Hassbian/Python Venv install, and not HassIO.

No matter what, it doesn’t change the fact that you CANNOT run 2 OSes on the SDCard at the same time.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks man!

You can try the other way around since you can run HassIO on raspbian.

Backup your configs, flash latest version of raspbian, install HassIO (via docker), restore backups, then try to enable the camera.