Ngenic open API component for Ngenic Tune smart thermostat

I like to request a component for Ngenic open API to primarily be used for Ngenic Tune smart thermostat.

Ngenic have finally released a public API for Ngenic Tune smart thermostat which something that has previously been missing from this company. You need to login to create personal access tokens for your Ngenic-account:

https://developer.ngenic.se

For those who don’t know “Ngenic Tune” is a smart thermostat similar to Nest Learning Thermostat but is foremost marketed in Scandinavia / Nordic countries as it is compatible out-of-the-box with most existing heat-pumps systems sold in Northern Europe and can convert those into app-controlled internet-connected smart devices, even an older heating-pump that can be as old as 30-years old, like the one I have.

They also have a product called “Ngenic Track” sensor which connects to the same gateway and tracks your energy usage by constantly reading the electricity meter for your house/apartment.

Personally I think that I would like to see a component for Ngenic open API that works similar to the Nibe Uplink integration plugin for Home Assistant by @elupus

Seconded. I already used the api to create a rest sensor for the predefined temperature, but I’m not code savvy enough to create a new integration.

@Corf That sounds better than nothing, maybe worth sharing the code GitHub and link to that here?

Would really like this as well, we are however moving so not getting an Ngenic again until September-October. If no one has picked this up by then I might give it a shot but would be my first component in HA so it would take some time and I might fail completely😅

I’ve started with an API wrapper in python, maybe that could kick things off with homeassistant integration.
I haven’t really done anything like this in python before, so any contributions or suggestions are appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I made a sensor platform for Ngenic, it’s pretty basic and will only add nodes which reports temperature and humidity (i.e. no climate control). The one that is called “controller” is your outside temperature.

Just add it to a custom_components/ngenic folder. You can clone it like this:

$ cd config/custom_components
$ git clone https://github.com/sfalkman/ngenic-hass-platform.git ngenic

Feel free to contribute :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
I’ve updated the component with a climate entity.
Also, the platform now uses the UI config flow; just add the integration via Configuration > Integrations

8 Likes

Anyone also bought their new “Ngenic Track” product? It is a wireless energy meter reader sensor:

Ngenic Track sensor connects to the same gateway plus look to use use the same API (and app)

As Ngenic is a cloud-based service so API might even include data history of your energy usage.

Maybe you already know but the @sfalkman component works with track

I’ve updated the component with a climate entity.

So it is possible to control the “Ngenic indoor sensor” as a thermostat through automations - so I don’t need to use the Ngenic app to change the indoor temperature?

Yes you can set the target temperature from homeassistant

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks for your great work and answer.

@sfalkman Trying to install your Ngenic integration through HACS but can find it. I’m not experienced with HACS, I have just installed HACS and installed one integration (Hubitat), so I’m pretty sure that I’m the problem. :slight_smile:
Any pointers would be appreciated. I would like to use HACS but if I can’t get that working, I will go the manual way…

The integration is not in the default HACS repository, so you will have to add it yourself.

You can follow this guide: https://hacs.xyz/docs/faq/custom_repositories

1 Like

Thank you @sfalkman! Don’t know why I couldn’t add your integration via my iPad, but no problem from my PC. :slight_smile:

Everything from my Ngenic account seems to be included but I can’t find a way to set which indoor sensor that Ngenic should use as target temp. Is that possible?

Yes, it’s exposed as a climate entity. It should be named climate.ngenic_tune_<name>

Sorry, misread your question. There’s no way to change that, I only have one temp sensor so I can’t really test it…

Ok. Let me know if you do decide to include that and need a beta tester. :slight_smile:

@ktd could you look into this merge request, is this something you´re after? Support rooms with activeControl property by parherman · Pull Request #31 · sfalkman/ngenic-hass-platform · GitHub

The implementation made by parherman seems to add a climate entity for each room that is included in the temperature regulation, not sure if this is the correct way to implement this (as I said, I don’t have this kind of setup).

Reading your question again, it seems you want to actually enable/disable the property for a room which includes it in the temperature regulation, but it doesn’t seem that you can control this via the Ngenic APIs.

Yes, that seems to be what I’m looking for. If you have multiple sensors, you can chose which sensor Ngenic is going to use.

In the app, clicking on change temperature also gives you the option to select sensor (room).

Hello,
is there any tutorial out there how to set up Ngenic Tune in Home asssitant? I’m new to all of this and a little bit overwhelmed with it.