No GUI after update - pychromecast error

Discovery.

I only fixed manual config scenario in 0.79, it looks like discovery may have similar issue.

Can you help to isolate which chromecast device caused the issue?

No idea how I’d check that?!?!

Am I better off adding them manually then?? And if so, how?

Cheers for the help.

I have been having this problem for a while. As soon as I configure (automatically) chromecast, it stops the GUI from working.
I have to drop back to an older version where I hadn’t configured chromecast.

I’ll just have to leave it unconfigured for a while until it gets sorted.

I ( kinda of) have the same (similar) issue since, I think, 78.2. I switched to the cast Integration and at first it was working just fine. But ever since 78.2 I no longer see any cast devices in the GUI. I don’t really use any cast components with HA and I’ve been busy working with other things so I have not yet bothered with any trouble shooting

I had the same issue with Web UI not coming up. I found this and it fixed the issue for now:

However, my Google Chomecast devices did not show up in the web UI anymore. Google Chromecast setup changed. I deleted the settings in Configuration.yaml file and uncommented the discovery: so that they could be automatically setup. Then they came back in my Web UI.

Hope this helps.

For what it’s worth. I run a test and production server. The last stable version I have on prod is 76.2 with manual config, with this version, I still had to cut down my devices to the 3 devices I use for automations and TTS. One of the other devices was causing the timeout issue where the frontend wouldn’t load.

With the test server running 78.3, the retires and timeout address limit has resolved the issue with the front end no loading, however i find after a couple of days, all my devices end up unavailable as the server eventually gives up trying to reconnect.

Thats my experience so far, needless to say, I’m holding onto 76.2 for now, I also found restarting the chromecast/google home device fixed one of the timeout issues, but not for the chromecast audio device.

Running version 80.3
Two days ago we had a power outage and after that my Home Assistant wouldn’t load the UI, figured the outage must have messed up the SD card or something like that.

So this is my story so far:

• Tried to restart the Pi several times but to no avail.
  • Managed to connect via SSH a couple of times so I grabbed my snapshots from the Pi via WinSCP.
  • Calling ‘restart now’ from Putty locked me out completely.
  • Samba share worked so I copied over all my .yaml files.
  • Next I reinstalled Home Assistant and all was good, restored my latest snapshot and rebooted only to find out that it wouldn’t start.
  • Reinstalled Home Assistant again and this time I added my devices again, this time no problem until I added my ChromeCast devices. Doing this locked me out of the UI again, checking the log verified that it is in fact a problem with the ChromeCast devices resulting in a never ending wait in the boot up process.
  • Tried the tip above and deleted the core.config file and it worked wonders and HA started up again.

So now I’m back up again, copied and replaced the base config files with my own and besides having to rename some of the entities in my groups it all works and was rather painless.
But I do want my cast devices to work again, it really is a weird problem as it worked flawlessly before the power outage. I must have restarted the Pi tens of times since the last update and you would think the problem would have shown, but no.

So as far as I know adding Cast units with the discovery feature messes with HA, how do I add the manually and is this a verified solution for the time being?

2 Likes

I’d also like to know how to add them manually.

Just did an update and believe I have encountered the same thing.

Previously you could just add it into media players with

- platform: cast

Probably still works, I was getting a prompt to change to the configurator for cast though and did so prior to updating.

EDIT: Was able to get back in after deleting the cast stuff from core.config_entries will try adding manual cast config and report back.

1 Like

Alright keep us posted once you tried. I’m currently updating to 0.81.6 but couldn’t find anything in the change log about the matter at hand.
Would love to have this resolved, manually adding the devices don’t bother me at all as long as it won’t lock me out again.

Likewise - just don’t want to get locked out again myself, however I really want to start using the cast services!

Sorry, after all my stuffing around I realised I was late for my train and ran to work. After deleting everything just worked, including chromecast - maybe it’s known devices or something. I didn’t end up adding it back in.

I’d be happy to help any way I can, let’s keep this thread alive until we got a valid solution!

Oh and it might be a good idea to post our setup of cast-able units, in the end it might be one of the units that is causing all the trouble.
My setup:
2 Sony Android TVs
1 Sony Surround Receiver
1 Google Home
2 Google Home Minis

No idea if it makes any difference, but have you given your cast devices a static IP?

2 sony TVs.
2 Google Home. (Tested and worked after removing config as above)
2 Chromecast Audio.
1 Chromecast 2nd gen I think.
2 x Nvidia Shield,
2 x Xiaomi Mi Box
I think that’s it.

EDIT: All static IPs

My Cast Devices:

1 Chromecast 2nd gen (I think)
1 Chromecast ultra
1 Chromecast Audio
1 Google Home
1 Google Home Mini

Not everything is on a static IP

Gonna try and lock down all my devices with static ip’s, makes the life of home setup way easier anyway so no loss there :slight_smile:

Thought I’d have another bash at autoconfiguring. So far so good.

My steps:

• Made sure that all chomecast devices had their own IP
  • Removed chromecast apps from Firestick (just so as not to confuse anything as I didn’t use them anyway)
  • Backep up all HA dirs to easily rebuild should it fail
  • Tested restart from SSH & tested reboot from SSH (both worked and came back fine)
  • Autoconfigured Chromecast devices.
  • Checked HA restarted
  • Checked HA rebooted
  • :grinning:

My system RPI3 running Hassio 0.82.0
1 Chromecast 2nd gen (I think)
1 Chromecast ultra
1 Chromecast Audio
1 Google Home
1 Google Home Mini

That sound promising!

I’m actually about to do the exact same thing, I’ll post the results as soon as I got some to share.
I did notice some things though, one of my Google Home Minis didn’t show any sign of being connected to my WiFi but it still played music just fine. Maybe this is one of the issues that locked us out in the first place, reason being that the device isn’t responding correctly.
Anyhow I’m gonna give the last cast devices static ip’s, backup, then restart and see how everything goes.

1 Like