No internet after upgrading RPI4 bookworm HA supervised

hey
after bookworm updating the RPI everything seemed to work fine. But then i discovered i have no internet on the host machine whatsoever.

now comes the weird part: it seems supervised hassio just blocks internet access as soon as the docker container is initiated and HomeAssistant started. i can reproduce this issue by rebooting the host machine and SSHing into it immediatly it becomes available. for the time it takes the rpi to load up the docker container w hassio/supervisor i have perfect internet (ping) and then all goes to sh*t.

the ping which works fine for the first couple of seconds then gets rerouted to one of the veth interfaces:

PING selfhost.de (185.26.156.199) 56(84) bytes of data.
From rpi-2.local (169.254.33.18) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

so it is home assistant supervisor that kills my internet during boot… any suggestions would be very appreciated as this also blocks incoming connections for my wireguard interface.

bumping

stopping the supervisor will return internet connectivity:
sudo systemctl stop hassio-supervisor.service

now why does the supersvisor not allow any internet is beyond me

Have a look HERE (scroll down to “Note about systemd-resolved which is needed by HA Supervised:”).

Hopefully it helps.

Thanks for the reply.
That’s the guide I used and followed every step of the way :frowning:

Is IPv6 disabled with Settings → System → Network → IPv6: Disabled ? (should be set to “Disabled”)

thank you again. i believe we’re onto something here

so i discovered that with default settings (i.e. IPv6 enabled) i could actually ping www.google.com (hadn’t noticed this before):

pi@rpi:~ $ ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com(fra24s07-in-x04.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:82a::2004)) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from fra24s07-in-x04.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4001:82a::2004): icmp_seq=1 ttl=114 time=23.9 ms

once i disabled ipv6 in settings i get the same output as with any other server i tried:

PING www.google.com (142.250.185.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
From rpi.local (169.254.184.166) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

so it seems it is a problem with IPv4 being blocked exclusively by the supervisor

also, when i change the DNS manually in IPv4 to 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9 i get

ping: www.google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

What is the CLI-command:

ha dns info

telling?

pi@rpi:~ $ ha dns info
fallback: true
host: 172.30.32.3
llmnr: false
locals:
- dns://192.168.0.1
mdns: false
servers: []
update_available: false
version: 2023.06.2
version_latest: 2023.06.2

(192.168.0.1 being the router. RPI connected via eth0 cable)

What is

ha resolution info

telling?

pi@rpi:~ $ ha resolution info
checks:
- enabled: true
  slug: supervisor_trust
  slug: dns_server_ipv6
  slug: addon_pwned
  slug: docker_config
  slug: multiple_data_disks
  slug: dns_server
  slug: core_security
  slug: network_interface_ipv4
  slug: free_space
  slug: backups
issues:
- context: system
  reference: null
  type: no_current_backup
  uuid: 7e30591a715e477d9e6cd028e84dbe85
suggestions:
- auto: false
  context: system
  reference: null
  type: create_full_backup
  uuid: 58151e94d2b7467996338efc3e2b79d8
unhealthy: []
unsupported:
- os

btw tyvm for your support !!

You’re welcome. But the issue is not solved yet.

What makes me wonder:

unsupported:
- os

Go to Settings → System → Repairs → Hamburger Menu (3 vertical dots upper right) → System Information and look for “Supported” below “Home Assistant Supervisor”. Does it tell “Unsupported”?

In case you are seeing the status “Unsupported” and/or “Unhealthy” re-run the “supervised-installer”:

cd /usr/local/src
sudo rm -f homeassistant-supervised.deb
sudo wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb
sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb

Note: You may be prompted to choose a machine type during the installation process. If so, choose raspberrypi4-64 if you do the upgrade on a RPI4 64bit.

Now reboot the host.

:warning: Note above’s:

I just added this command to the upgrade guide today!

In case you have an older version of “homeassistant-supervised.deb” laying around within /usr/local/src the newly downloaded version is saved as “homeassistant-supervised.deb1”, "homeassistant-supervised.deb2 " and so on.

Running

sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb 

will always install the oldest ever downloaded version instead of the latest.

Thus doing:

before downloading the latest “homeassistant-supervised.deb” will make sure you are really installing the latest downloaded version.

okay just did. this was the output (i am doing all this on cli of host machine). rebooted after it all finished

pi@rpi:/usr/local/src $ sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
(Reading database ... 167408 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb ...
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[error] Raspbian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) is not supported!
dpkg: error processing archive homeassistant-supervised.deb (--install):
 new homeassistant-supervised package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
PING checkonline.home-assistant.io (172.67.68.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.67.68.90: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=14.0 ms

--- checkonline.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 14.018/14.018/14.018/0.000 ms
Device "" does not exist.
[info] Install supervisor startup scripts
[info] Install AppArmor scripts
[info] Start Home Assistant Supervised
[info] Installing the 'ha' cli
[warn] Could not find /etc/default/grub or /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt failed to switch to cgroup v1
[info] Within a few minutes you will be able to reach Home Assistant at:
[info] http://homeassistant.local:8123 or using the IP address of your
[info] machine: http://:8123
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised.deb

but this apparently broke things. i cannot connect to home assistant at all anymore :frowning:
i get
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
when trying to access it from browser

edit:
when i stop hassio-supervisor.service i can connect to HA but now i get this in reparis:

You have still SSH access to the system, do you?

Just run from CLI:

sudo sed -i.bak 's/$/ systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0/' /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt

and reboot the host.

check the edited above post

and i believe i already appended the cmdline.txt for cgroup purposes on the previous install. will check though. thanks

pi@rpi:~ $ sudo sed -i.bak 's/$/ systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0/' /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt
sed: can't read /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt: No such file or directory

there is a /boot/cmdline.txt though? and the line “systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0” is already there

:warning: BTW: The Supervisor will refuse to install on any other OS than the “pure” Debian 12*. Raspian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) is based on Debian 12 but it is a Debian derivative only.

“A Debian derivative is a distribution that is based on the work done in Debian but has its own identity, goals and audience and is created by an entity that is independent from Debian. Derivatives modify Debian to achieve the goals they set for themselves.” (Source: Debian -- Debian derivatives).

*For more information about the latter please see HERE.

yeah i don’t know what’s going on there. i just followed your upgrade guide step by step there were no errors :confused:

There was a change back in December 2022 actively blocking any attempt at installation on an OS that is not supported, such as Raspberry Pi OS or Ubuntu.

It looks like you have upgraded Debian 11 to Debian 12 on RaspberryOS but not on pure Debian 12.

There is little you can do except backing up your Home Assistant, reformat your SDCard/SSD and start all over using Debian 12 (but no derivative!) and restore your HA backup afterwards. I know, this sucks … :sweat:

wait what?

my rpi is running a lot of other services/servers besides home asisstant :open_mouth:

so let me get this straight: i updated to raspbian-bullseye back in 2022 and everything went peachy with home assistant. but now raspbian-bookworm is no longer supported resulting in the situation we’re in. and there is no way to solve this but starting from scratch entirely ??

if this is the case i’d rather roll back to bullseye (flash backup .img) or stay on bookworm and just ditch the supervisor (although that will probably mean no updates?)

thanks again for your help but this really sucks

just a quick update.

i copied the /boot/cmdline.txt to /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt
after reboot home assistant is available again (with supervisor active). still says unsupported system.

now i couldn’t care less about that message tbh.

however there is still no internet connectivity over IPv4 as long as supervisor is running. IPv6 ping works just fine (if the interface is enabled).

is there really no way to force the supervisor to accept IPv4? this seems like a small thing /fix somehow… :confused: again , i don’t really care about the “unsupported system” message