No longer a stable connection via duckdns domain

Anyone suggest other free dynamic IP services with an HA add-on?

1 Like

same problem

2 Likes

https://www.noip.com/

Every month you need to validated that you are using the DNS, beside that is free and work well.

2 Likes

Same problem here. Let‘s see how fast it is resolved.

1 Like

I’ve never had problems before, but since yesterday (about 15 hours ago) i’m no longer able to log in.
I suspected Duckdns to start with and this thread confirmes my suspicion.
Is this something that will resolve itself (aka duckdns servers getting back online)?

I am able to get in sometimes (about 1 in a 100 tries). When i’m in I can acces everthing just fine, but only for a minute or so.

2 Likes

Same problem. Although my symptoms are a bit different:

• Reloading the HA website takes a long time
  • The app on Android complains about the same. Once connectivity is achieved, it works pretty smooth
  • Google Home can no longer connect in a stable manner

I don’t distinguish between a local and external URL, because to my perception, once you have ssl enabled, HA will no longer expose unencrypted traffic to the internal network (source). Would be keen to understand how you achieved that, but that’s a different subject.

I am on a Docker system, running on a RPI4. All to the latest versions in my attempt to solve the connectivity issues. Running a Mikrotik router that takes care of the DuckDNS updating, because the router is where my public IP terminates.

1 Like

OK, so it isn’t just me. Clearly related to duckdns, via browser connecting to local (or even public) IP (and ignoring the ssl certificate mismatch warning) just works all the time. Going via the duckdns url gives issues. Also noticed the issues with google assistant/google home, but that is logical since that needs the URL.

It is very odd, because it works so intermittently. It isn;t that it doesn;t work at all, once in a while it will actually be able to connect - very weird. Nothing appears in the duckdns or HA logs.

Oh well, I assume it will get resolved after the weekend …

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue, at first i tought it was my Home Assistant installation having issues but i can connect trough the local IP just fine. Hoping for a fix from DuckDNS soon.

2 Likes

Same issue, but on wifi not able to connect to local IP…

1 Like

Same problem here, duckdns is not working correctly.
In the duckdns page i see the correct ip address but if i try to use my duckdns address
I cannot reach my home assistant instance nor my ipcam. With IP address it works.

1 Like

Thanks all for replying! This makes me pretty confident the root cause of the issue is currently with the service provided by the DuckDNS website. I hope they resolve it soon.

Glad to find this and to know its not an error on my part, also hope they resolve soon

2 Likes

Same here, happened about 2 weeks ago for me as well, pulling my hair out trying to get google assistant to work to find out its actually just duckdns and figured out when I left the house and not using my hairpin nat.

1 Like

Same Issue here, most annoying google assistant is not working…
Easy to check that it’s duckdns, just do a remote nslookup e.g. here https://www.nslookup.io/
There is no name resolution anymore…

4 Likes

Thank you for providing this check, really useful!

Exact same issue here, from a working setup before with no changes. I assume they’re just having some trouble currently. Thanks all for posting here to confirm the issue.

Hoping this is my issue too!

Have not been able to access my Home Assistant via Google Home/Assistant for going on 24 hours now.

I notice accessing via my duckdns address is a bit hit or miss too.

Going to bed now. Hopefully it’ll be resolved by morning…

reading all above points to a dns issue, which would be a router issue.

• check where duck.dns points internally (should be 192.168.x.y
  • check port-forwarding/hairpin NAT

Same here since yesterday around noon CEST. Thanks for posting!

Same here. According to their faq, they track their service health at http://www.intodns.com/duckdns.org and you can see many errors there. Not sure how to report it to them though…

1 Like