No longer a stable connection via duckdns domain

Hi there @yonny24, I set one up yesterday with a .tk from freenom. What can I look out for that might indicate that it’s not working as expected?

I already have a domain so probably should have just used that, but I wasn’t sure if it would conflict with the hosting I already have setup on it, even if it was with a subdomain.

It’s baaack!!!

Hey guys,

is it down right now ? I can’t reach my HA…
Does anyone else have the same problem?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/&ved=2ahUKEwjHqpDvjJL9AhU-TGwGHbY8D98QFnoECBIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0bkh07FFs7md2pvgKwy1G9

So, found the problem to my issue: Somehow duckdns add-on has uninstalled itself from home assistant and that’s why the IP was not updated anymore → no connection.

Bingo! DuckDNS was not reachable again on 2023-03-08!
The site was, but not the DNS service… Next day, it was OK again.
Perhaps Cloudflair is a better alternative? I don’t know…

I pulled the plug on DuckDNS yesterday. Too unreliable. Went to NabuCasa remote access. Might switch to Cloudflare or Dynu in the future, but working now at least. Goodbye and good riddens DuckDNS. As always in life, you get what you pay for…

Is there anyone who again still the same problem with cloudflare/freenom domain?

I believe FreeNom is in the process of going out of business. News suggests they lost the .ga domains entirely. That is the problem I currently have.

1 Like

I registered my old domain, but as a .com for pretty darn cheap with Google. I didn’t follow a good process, but it’s working.

1. Register new domain.
  2. Under DNS > Custom Name Servers, enter the two Cloudflare names: nancy.ns.cloudflare.com
    rommy.ns.cloudflare.com
  3. Go to Cloudflare and add a new site.
  4. Follow the steps. It will ask you to import a DNS record. I didn’t have anything like that.
  5. There should be a dropdown to the left where you can select CNAME.
  6. Enter @ for the site name to use the root page [your_site].com
  7. In a new window, go to your old Cloudflare page for [your_site].ga (or whatever).
  8. Go to DNS > Records > Management
  9. Copy the long hyphenated string under Content.
  10. Click the Proxy Status slider to disable the old page/proxy.
  11. Return to your new Cloudflare page and paste that in the Content for the DNS record of your new page.
  12. Go to your Cloudflared on Home Assistant.
  13. Go to Settings and change the url to your new one.
  14. Restart Cloudflared and watch the logs.
  15. In my case, it forwarded immediately, no issues.

Hopefully that’s somewhat helpful. It’s basically what worked for me.

Sounds helpfull and i want to try it because i have the same issue, but how can i acces my homeassistant to adjust these settings? because the local ip is not working anymore for me since i setup the cloudflare tunnel.

How cheap?

DuckDNS has worked pretty good for more than half a year for me, but Tuesday this week I had problems connecting and after some hour it worked again.
Today I have problems connecting now and then and then it works for a while…
Have tried to connect to external IP (and LAN IP via VPN) and that works perfectly fine all the time.

Have not seen anything in the logs until now - this just came in there - but doesn’t say me much:
Logger: frontend.js.latest.202308021
Source: components/system_log/init.py:270
First occurred: 12:28:52 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:28:52

https://xxxxxx.duckdns.org:YYYY/frontend_latest/core-WCIePk4vYnw.js:1:8205 Uncaught Error: Suspend promise not set
(xxxx=domain name YYYY=port number)

Anyone else having problems with DuckDNS today?

What a coinsidence… I had a letsencrypt setup broken for past few weeks and didn’t noticed that until my certificate expired today. After fixing it I spent few hours investigating why I can’t renew these damn certificates only to find out, duckdns is causing all of this… What a shame, I will consider switching to some paid option.

So @johnbull you are not alone.

thanks…even though I don’t wish any other problems, it feels good to know for sure it’s outside my stuff and hopefully someone else (duckdns) will solve it soon.

I have seen a few reports on downdetector and updownradar now as well

On the other hand… a paid service is not a guarantee for 100% uptime either…