No, seriously... How do you update HA in Synology Docker?

I can’t get this thing to update. The HA UI tells me that version 0.88.2 is available. I followed the steps listed here:

• Go to the Docker-app and move to “Registry”-section
  • Find “homeassistant/home-assistant” within registry and click on “Download”. Choose the “latest” tag, this will overwrite your current image to the latest version.
  • Wait until the system-message/-notification comes up, that the download is finished (there is no progress bar)
  • Move to “Container”-section
  • Stop your container if it’s running
  • Right-click on it and select “Action”->”Clear”. You won’t lose any data, as all files are stored in your config-directory
  • Start the container again - it will then boot up with the new Home Assistant image

But it keeps telling me the update is available. I don’t know why they made this SO difficult to update. Why can’t it just update itself like every other app on the planet? How can you tell which version you have, and how in the world do you get it to update?

I had the same issue with synology. Select 0.88.2 explicitly (and NOT “latest”).

So, follow all steps above, but download the specific version rather than latest?

Delete the old container first, then select the explicit version.
If you do not do that, it downloads the version you had previously.

No need to delete the old container, just stop it and keep it stopped. Always handy to have a working version you can roll back to if you find errors with the newer version.

I sometimes have the issue that I need to go through the process two or three times before the latest version starts up - a pain in the neck to download the 2GB file multiple times, but in the end it has always worked.
Hope I haven’t jinxed it now.

No need to keep the old container, you can always recreate it from the appropriate image.

To the OP: The :latest tag for HA is not always assigned to the latest stable version so you better use the explicit version tag.

Or, you could just stop it and leave it be for an 15 mins to make sure the new one is working how you wish, if not, just start the old container again. Why delete it to then have to recreate it. Each to their own.

Each to their own for sure. Keeping the old container instance stopped prevents reusing the same container instance name (–name homeassistant). At the same time, as long as you keep the old container image in your repository, re-creating a container instance from it will probably consume the same amount of time as restarting the old container image.

Does portainer work on synology? I know from command line you can do things much easier than synology docker ui but anyone try portainer?

When I had synology I found their you made simple things hard so I did all via command line. I believe if you try portainer, if it works, it will simplify this for you

I download the latest version, then stop and rename the old container in case there are any issues. Run the new image after finished downloading and wait a few min to make sure everything works as expected and then delete the old container.

Thank you to all have replied. It seems that everyone kind of says something different (hence my comment about HA being difficult to update). But the general consensus seems to be that the best way is to start with a new container (whether the original is renamed or just deleted). It sure would be nice if they included an Update button in their UI. HomeBridge includes one in their Synology Docker UI, and it is incredibly easy and quick.

This actually has nothing to do with HA.

It’s your system that manages your docker. It isn’t intuitive enough to accommodate the correct commands and process.

The proper docker procedure is to delete the container and fire up a new one with the new image that was pulled.

It does if you use hassio, since it has a container that manages the other containers.

Thank you @flamingm0e . Dumb question… Is this hassio? It is the UI that is built in to my Home Assistant installation, accessible through http://192.My Synology ID:8123/dev-info. If not, how do I get hassio for Synology?

No, you are running normal Home Assistant in Docker. As far as I know, hassio cannot be installed on synology without running in a VM.

I renamed my existing container, then downloaded 0.88.2. I created a new container and copied all settings, but now I am getting this error. Thoughts?

You should really keep the settings / configuration out of the container.

Looks like two containers of HA are running in parallel, effectively blocking network ports of reach other. As far as I understand the “rename” command of Docker, it renames a container but does not change its running state.

I don’t have no NAS, but with plain docker you would use “docker ps” to see the running containers and then “docker stop” / "docker rm -f " to stop the outdated container.

Not sure what you mean. The containers need to be pointed at the correct volume, so they do require some settings. But all configurations are in the configuration.yaml file, of course.

That would make sense, but I turned off the old container. Would it still block ports? Others in this thread have suggested to rename/turn off your old container while you test the new one.

why is everyone so afraid of deleting the old container? It’s silly. That’s the point of Docker. Just delete it. If you need to roll back, you just point to the previous version tag.

1 Like

@flamingm0e - You’re probably right! But keeping backups never hurt anybody. :slight_smile: