Noob guiding: Somfy Tahoma Switch with seven io roller shutters

Hello, all. New Home Assistant user here, also pretty new to home automation in general.

We have seven Somfy Oximo 50 io roller shutters, each controllable with its own Somfy Smoove Origin io remote. I’d like to be able to control and automate the shutters entirely locally, whether or not the internet connection and the internet-accessible API are up.

My plan is to buy the Tahoma Switch and to use the HomeKit Device integration with it, as I understand this enables a local-only API.

From the Overkiz integration page:

If your hub (e.g. Somfy TaHoma) supports HomeKit natively, your setup code will be added as a sensor in Home Assistant. Look up your hub in Home Assistant and retrieve the value from the ‘HomeKit Setup Code’ sensor. You can now configure the HomeKit Controller integration in Home Assistant and benefit from local support. Only a limited set of devices is supported.

A forum post that seems to confirm.

Assuming my understanding is correct, I have a question about the order of actions in the setup process. I don’t have Apple devices. Based on the HomeKit Device integration instructions, I think:

1. Integrate the Tahoma Switch via the Overkiz integration, which doesn’t (yet) support local access. I think this will include installing and using the Tahoma Android app?
  2. Add the Tahoma Switch as a HomeKit device via the HomeKit Device integration.
  3. Add the shutters. (Using what? Should this be step 2?)

As you can see, I don’t have the relationships between the items involved and the process clearly in mind, and it would be great to get some guidance before buying the Tahoma Switch.

I’m running HA OS in a VirtualBox VM.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Hey

1. you will buy the Tahoma Switch, there you need to register yourself on the Tahoma portal and add each shutter with a simple setup process
  2. once done, you can either use the Overkiz integration, which will connect via Cloud to your Somfy Tahoma, or you can use Homekit Controller Integration which will access your Somfy Shutters via Apple Homekit (the Apple Homekit controller accesses your Somfy Tahoma box locally, without cloud). I have the same motors as you and it works without issues.
  3. Once you have setup the Overkiz or Homekit Integration, it will just add all shutters automatically to HA. You can also use both integrations if needed (I do, because I have one RTS motor which is not supported by Homekit

So, afterall, setting up your shutters in HA should be easy as chips.
Of your post, I’m assuming you already know that there is works on the go for Overkiz Local API. I’m actually looking forward to that, hopefully I could use my RTS shutter locally without cloud too :slight_smile:

Cheers

@fair_dinkum, thanks very much. So only one HA integration needs to be used in my case.

Am I right in thinking that internet access will be required whenever adding a new shutter/awning device in future? This would be done via the same process as your number 1? And would HomeKit/HA pick up on the new device automatically, or would it need to be pointed to it somehow?

Yes, I saw that there’s Local API work going on on Overkiz, and I’m following at GitHub. I don’t know if there would be any advantage to me using that over the HomeKit Device integration, but I hope it all works out for you and others!

It’s not that I expect to be without internet access very often, but it seems crazy to me to not be able to open and close shutters because a telecoms company has an issue, for example, and I’m keen to minimise the level of dependence on internet connection from the outset.

Thanks again.

Thats right, you require internet access every time you want to add an additional Somfy device (via the Somfy Webportal) - thats it.
Once added, it will be automatically added to HA with the integrations you setup (Overkiz and Homekit will create independent devices in HA) and if using HK, you wont require internet ag all to control the motors/covers

For your motors, there is no benefit as far as I can tell to use Overkiz local once its here. For your setup, Homekit Controller will do the trick since they are HK compatible.
Setup your Somfy box, then add the Homekit controller integration to HA and you’re all set :+1:t2:

1 Like

never noticed overkiz and homekit had different cloud use, i just enabled local api on somfy website and found both integration working in HA.
Indeed it seems overkiz is cloud based, but on the other side homekit seems not to see scenarios from the tahoma switch, i’m quite confused… :slight_smile:

Overkiz requires Cloud connection where as HomeKit is entirely local - you can test it out if you pull the cable of your router - Overkiz won’t work anymore whilst HomeKit will :slight_smile:

I dont have any scenarios programmed on Tahoma, I only use it within HA, because lets face it - you have way more options with HA than the Tahoma scenarios :wink: