Not able to make a connection beyond my local network

Hi,

All cloud integrations are failing on my new install as they don’t seem to be able to connect to their servers. It was a clean install, i followed the instructions from home-assistant.io/installation/generic-x86-64/ and did a partial restore from a previous backup (Raspberry pi), just to load some add-ons.

From the log:

2023-09-02 22:20:23.938 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.homeassistant_alerts] Error requesting homeassistant_alerts data: Cannot connect to host alerts.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:default [Try again]
2023-09-02 22:20:23.961 ERROR (MainThread) [metno] Access to https://aa015h6buqvih86i1.api.met.no/weatherapi/locationforecast/2.0/complete returned error 'ClientConnectorError'

I am not a linux CLI expert but can google and tried a few things;

• Can ping external IP addresses (tried 8.8.8.8)
  • Cannot ping domain names (www.google.com)
  • host www.google.com gives a timeout to 127.0.0.11#53 (some internal IP i guess?)
  • host www.google.com 8.8.8.8 gives no errors, same if i use my providers DNS
  • ha network info shows both my providers DNS servers and seems ok on other points too.

I am probably overlooking something obvious but it is driving me insane. please help!

Go to Settings → System → Network and set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1.

Thanks. I think I tried that before did it once again for good measure and rebooted. Still the same issue however, see screenshot

Try disabling IPv6. Same menu location as above.

Used Balena Etcher ?

Balena Etcher, using Manjaro running on a bootable USB drive. I am running home assistant on:

• HP Thin client T620
  • Dual Core (Amd)
  • 8GB
  • 16GB Sata M2 SSD

Disabled ipv6, no improvement

Seems a problem caused by Belana Etcher

use USBImager instead

Thanks, that must be it! Now that you mention it I do recall Balena Etcher freezing at 31%. As HA seemed to boot just fine I thought nothing of it.

I will reflash sometime this weekend and post the result here.

Success! Installed HA again using USBimager in Manjaro and it worked straight away. Thanks all for the support, I love HA and its community!

I would just like to endorse the commentary about the Balena Etcher. My installation is on a ‘jailbroken’ HP Chromebox. The HA installation had internet connection, but would not connect in terminal and so I was unable to install HACS. It wouldn’t resolve DNS and wouldn’t ping any websites.
Reinstalling HAOS via the Ubuntu boot USB and then using the resident ‘Disk’ App rather than Balena Etcher to write the image to the SSD (as per H A installation guide).
I add this note because of my installation being on a Chromebox

Hello,
I’m experiencing the same issue and I’ve installed HA using Ubuntu from a USB flash drive and install the Home Assistant Operating System from there (with Disks).
What could I try? Any clue?