Nothing bootable found in an acer laptop

Hi! I’m new into home assistant and i’m trying to install it into an acer inspire laptop for using it into my house.
After following the steps on the Generic x86-64 page, a grey screen appears when i boot from the flash-drive to install the OS, apparently there should be a menu with 4 options but it seems to be bugged and tere is no text unless i go through all the options very fast with the arrows, only seeing the letters for a fraction of a second. I wanted to put an image about the grey screen here but i can’t upload more than one photo on the post because i’m a new user, i’ll try to add it on a comment.

Entering in the 4th option of the menu mentioned above i get into a command line menu like cmd in windows. There i typed help to see if i could get something out of it and after typing the commant “boot” i get what is shown in the next photo and what i wrote on the title. Nothing bootable found, but there is a working hdd inside the computer which has been runing windows 10 properly for the last 6 years at least.

After seeing this i formated the hdd to see if that was the problem and everything goes the same way as before. If someone could help me i would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks!

This is the image i couldn’t upload in the main topic.

Thank you again!

Did you follow the instructions to be sure UEFI Boot and Secure Boot are disabled?

Yes! I checked several times to see if i did it correctly and i did.

Do we know if HaOS supports the hard disk controller in that laptop? If not, the OS would not find the hard disc or SSD.

I don’t know if it does, is there a way to check it?

First step would be to determine what controller is in the laptop. The model of laptop might be a good starting point to figure that out. Do you have any working OS installed in it currently?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E5-571G, the model name of the hdd is: wdc wd5000lpvx-22v0tt0.
I don’t have any os installed because i formatted it thinking i would solve the problem or at least help with it, but if it can help i can install Windows 10, i have a pen drive prepared for it.

I wondered about some version of Linux. I believe HAos uses similar drivers.

If you install Debian then you can run Home Assistant Supervised which basically gives you the same features as HaOS except you need to keep the OS patched.

Okay, i’ll try it. Thanks

1 Like

Are you thinking of using Debian & Home Assistant Supervised or just using Linux to see what drivers are used?

I would personally recommend the Home Assistant Supervised route but the choice is yours.

Honestly, i will follow this guide posted on the forum as i’ve never touched linux.

That is more detailed than the official guide.

I seem to recall someone having a recent issue but do not recall the details. Let me know is you run into any issues.

Okay, Thanks for everything!!

1 Like

I just remembered something about the issue. I think the official install script was updated after that post. That thread exists because, at one time, Supervised was going away as a supported installation. The developers reached a compromise with the community.

To use the official installer the last command on step 2.2 should be

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh" | sudo bash -s

okay, thanks for telling me, at this moment i’m stuck on step 1.16, i got a “usermod : command not found” every time i white the usermod command

OK.

You installed Debian and updated? (enter sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y followed by a reboot)

No, not yet, before that i have to add my user to the sudo group.

1 Like

You can remove the sudo and run as root, I believe.

To get the most out of that laptop, I’d install Proxmox. Then run a simple install script for Home Assistant OS. That leaves the door open to install other VM’s later.