Nothing bootable found in an acer laptop

First step would be to determine what controller is in the laptop. The model of laptop might be a good starting point to figure that out. Do you have any working OS installed in it currently?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E5-571G, the model name of the hdd is: wdc wd5000lpvx-22v0tt0.
I don’t have any os installed because i formatted it thinking i would solve the problem or at least help with it, but if it can help i can install Windows 10, i have a pen drive prepared for it.

I wondered about some version of Linux. I believe HAos uses similar drivers.

If you install Debian then you can run Home Assistant Supervised which basically gives you the same features as HaOS except you need to keep the OS patched.

Okay, i’ll try it. Thanks

1 Like

Are you thinking of using Debian & Home Assistant Supervised or just using Linux to see what drivers are used?

I would personally recommend the Home Assistant Supervised route but the choice is yours.

Honestly, i will follow this guide posted on the forum as i’ve never touched linux.

That is more detailed than the official guide.

I seem to recall someone having a recent issue but do not recall the details. Let me know is you run into any issues.

Okay, Thanks for everything!!

1 Like

I just remembered something about the issue. I think the official install script was updated after that post. That thread exists because, at one time, Supervised was going away as a supported installation. The developers reached a compromise with the community.

To use the official installer the last command on step 2.2 should be

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh" | sudo bash -s

okay, thanks for telling me, at this moment i’m stuck on step 1.16, i got a “usermod : command not found” every time i white the usermod command

OK.

You installed Debian and updated? (enter sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y followed by a reboot)

No, not yet, before that i have to add my user to the sudo group.

1 Like

You can remove the sudo and run as root, I believe.

To get the most out of that laptop, I’d install Proxmox. Then run a simple install script for Home Assistant OS. That leaves the door open to install other VM’s later.

Yes, you can, but after doing it this error appears:

I meant as the root user. Perhaps that is no longer enabled by default.

The root user is setup by default but cannot use ssh. After being logged in as paul yo should be able to run su - and enter the root password when prompted. to get to the root prompt.
To get tp where you can get back on track at 1.16, as root:

apt-get install sudo

Note 1.16 says to log in as the root user to run the usermod command.

Hopefully that gets you back on track :wink:

AAAAAAAAAAAAH IT WORKSSS. But, i got tired of debian and i decided to install w10 and run it on virtualbox. Maybe with debian or HAOS it would run using less resources but using it i feel very lost. Windows is my comfort zone where i can try to fix things by myself and not rely on good people like you just to turn on and off some lights and read some temps.

I feel kinda bad for not using your help but i hope you’ll understand my reasons and the tips will be online for other users if someone needs them.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Don’t feel bad at all.
Did you set the VM Network Card into bridged mode so it gets an address from your home network?

Yes i did! it seems to work perfectly, tomorrow i’ll play with it

1 Like