NUE Home Bridge (Zigbee 3.0) Support

Sorry I can’t include links, some restriction for new users on this forum.

I have achieved limited functionality for Kevin’s 3A Smart Home Smart Dimmer Switches and a Elelabs Zigbee Shield.

After following the pairing process as described in EZBPIS User Guide on how to use with Home Assistant, hassio detects the switches as light entities.

Sending turn-on and turn-off commands work, however the state of the LED on the switch does not change accordingly. Likewise, turning the switch on or off at the physical wall-switch, does not then reflect the new state back to hassio. Unfortunately this throws the state in hassio out of sync, which often renders switches in hassio useless as they need to be toggled multiple times to ensure the states are true and the lights are actually on/off.

I’ve exhausted my technical ability trying to resolve this issue - have any of you managed to get two-way communication working, or can point me in the right direction?

Here is another more detailed thread:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2776130#r58185493

I’m having the same problem with this dimmer, HA can’t see any state on the dimmer, also I can only dim the light on the switch itself, it looks like HA only see’s the dimmer as a switch…

I’m using the Elelabs zigbee USB adapter with ZHA.

It would be great for someone to offer some help with this, these switches look great and are well priced.

I now have stability, the two switches are in Home Assistant are triggered by Xiaomi motion sensors.

• Motion Sensor “on” = light service “turn_on”
  • Motion Sensor “off” = light service “turn_off”

It works great for us during the night as we can “hands off” and not touch the wall switches (and just rely on the automation). It’s reliable, they turn on and off every time and the state is accurate in Home Assistant since it called the command.

During the day though, we switch off the “Auto Lights” automation - so the lights can only be operated manually. The same problem exists - when a light is switched on at the wall, it doesn’t reflect in Home Assistant. :frowning:

I’m thinking a dirty workaround might be to check the state of the switch on a loop every 10-60 seconds (in case it has been switched at the wall), then update the status in Home Assistant. Would this work?

Has anyone actually got a working solution here?

I have a 3a Smarthome Nue hub and a load of single, double and triple gang light switches, as well as a few scene switches (1 single and 1 double).

I am looking to setup Home Assistant; however, this thread has left me confused as anything - lol.

My system is the Zigbee (Rather than wifi?)

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ve been talking with 3A Smart Home today via email and they confirmed a few functions which should work with the app (via the Nue Zigbee Bridge).

• He confirmed that when the switch is turned on/off at the wall (physically) then it also updates in the app (and vice versa if the switch is turned on/off in the app the LED on the wall switch updates to match).
  • He also confirmed that when adjusting the brightness of the dimmer switch can be controlled via the app by a slider, and it is once your finger is released from the slider that the dimmer instantly sets that brightness.

Can you confirm both of these are correct? (I don’t have a Nue Zigbee Bridge).

I have little experience with ZHA so far, but I believe that I should somehow be able to use the ZHA Panel to understand how to replicate these functions then build an automation to manage it (in Node Red)?

The trouble is that for all Clusters & Attributes most return null. I tried setting the level to a custom value, then turning the switch on - but writing these attributes to the switch seems to throw it offline then I’m forced to re-pair.

I’m creating THIS GOOGLE SHEET to list all the Clusters and Attributes and their values to try and understand more.

1 Like

Please see below for where I am at with these products… currently it’s really just the developer and I (with nil programming experience) getting these to be supported. But … we are almost finished I think!!
Requires a very small purchase of a seperate coordinator (replacing the hub) and the flashing module/cable.

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/issues/176

Thanks Lee.

I have actually moved away from the Nue hub as the new zigbee light switches work with Phillips Hue which means they import directly into Home-Assistant.

I have lost a couple of scene switches which are redundant and don’t work and also a motion sensor but so be it.

How did you get them to work with HUE hub?

I have these wall switches
https://3asmarthome.com/zigbee-smart-dimmer-switch

When did you buy them? I think there was a hardware update at some stage which allowed it.

If you still have your boxes have a look at the compatible Zigbee Hubs down the bottom. - Mine are compatible with: echo plus, Hue Hub, Nue Bridge, Lightify Hub, SmartThings hub.

I have also just got a zigbee/Z-wave dongle(HUSBZB-1) which works flawlessly with them - hub needed now!

I have a few dimmer light switches currently connected to HA via Smartthings.

However, I am unable to use the dimmer sliders on HA to adjust the brightness of the lights.

Anyone has a solution to this?

So just a quick update on where I am at with Nue.

I have a husbzb-1 zigbee/Z-wave dongle.

I currently have all my lights working. Yesterday I paired my NUE motion sensor and tonight I paired a scene switch which comes in as a sensor (turns on and off depending on switch state)

Pretty happy as I can now put all the scene switches back in the walls to control the other end of the hallway, second side of the bedroom, etc.

Observation - the dimmer switch in home assistant is around backwards. Ie. dim is bright and bright is dim. (Shouldn’t be too hard to overcome).

I have also just wired back in a 2 gang scene switch. Both the single gang scene switch and the double gang scene switch register as binary_sensors.

1 Like

Thanks for the update - so with regards to the husbzb-1, did you need to use any special handlers etc for the older Nue switches especially, or was it picking these up on it’s own and you are just using the ZHA component?

I am just using zha. Hit the search for new devices button and they all loaded.

I’m thinking about buying a couple of the Nue/3a 2 gang wall switches and am just wondering how support is for these using zigbee2mqtt?

I got my nue switches in late 2017. Trying to confirm if they’ll work with the husbzb-1.

Kevin said he hasn’t tested conbee II :frowning:

I have a couple of NUE switches a purchased in the second half of last year.

They are working with the Conbee II USB dongle with ZHA however I do get random “unavailables” from both switches.

By the way the are Feibit switches https://feibit.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.icbuShop.88.12.464b6de7Sd57Ou

If anyone can help with what I presume is the lack of updates back to HA, which causes the unavailable, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

1 Like

So the random unavailables does it last long and does it heal. yours must be the latest versions as I’m pretty sure they update them early 2018 late 2017.

I would love to know if that work I guess I can test it pretty cheaply with that USB zigbee

Hi Joel

No it is very random. Even after switching them on and off it doesn’t always refresh as available.

I do have a Xiaomi sensor which drops out as well however that is well known.

Jason

1 Like

Well really sounds like home assistant is not zigbee ready I’d love to move across