Nuki Smart Lock and Matter (or mqtt)

Fixed, after removing a thread plug router placed in the middle it is working properly again, very weird.

Wifi. I think matter uses thread.

Matter can use WiFi or Thread, or just about any IP connectivity option.

1 Like

Is Matter router-agnostic? I had the assumption that the router had to support it.

If you mean your network (ethernet/wifi) router, then no, the router is unaware of the Matter application layer protocol.

1 Like

Did anyone of you get the lock.open with the new firmware to work? From what I read it should be supported by now. However, when I do a firmware update the lock does not show up in HomeAssistant with the new service. Maybe there’s a workaround someone of you already found?

Thread, as basic Nuki 4 has no Wifi.

The Nuki 4 can connect to MQTT over Matter/Thread.

1 Like

In the Nuki app, you have to choose something like “Knob odr Door Bar” as the lock’s mode. (In German: “Knauf oder Stange”). I’ve also reconeccted the lock to HA. Now it works as supposed.

Yip can confirm, after repairing it works nicely (and actually more stable than with the old version). Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there,

I have Nuki Pro 4.0 (Firmware 4.2.8) and integrated via MQTT (directly over wifi, no Bridge) to my HomeAssistant (Core 24.4.4, Supervisor 2024.04.0, OS 12.2), however I am seeing far fewer entities that some users on this forum,

I can open and close the lock for instance, but cannot know the state of the lock (open or locked).

Any ideas about what I am missing? Thanks in advance.

That’s strange,

I am using the very same configuration (lock, FW, same HA, / OS) without bridge on MQTT and get this:

Did you try to listen to the topic state?
See Nuki MQTT API here:
[MQTT API Specification v1.4 - Nuki APIs / MQTT API - Nuki Developers]
(MQTT API Specification v1.4 - MQTT API - Nuki Developers)

and how to here:
How to listen to MQTT topic under Dev Tools? - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Maybe deleting the lock from HA and re-discover it helps?

Hi NCO3,

Thanks for trying to help, I keep struggling with this.

So I went ahead and deleted the nuki lock from Home Assistant and and deleted the MQTT connection from the Nuki Lock App to start everything from scratch.

Still the problem persists. Somehow home assistant identifies my lock as a “battery”

and I have no information about the lock state:

went ahead and tryied to see what was happenning with MQTT Explorer and this is the result

where apparently the state is being identified.

Anyone has any tips? tThey will be greatly appreciated

Ok, I was finally able to find a workaround to the entity issue I encountered as explained in the thread above.

Since I could not get the lock state to show up with the autodiscovered MQTT integration of the Nuki (discovered as a battery above), I ended up creating, manually, an MQTT sensor in the configuration.yaml file that monitors the various lock states (which I identified using MQTT explorer and seeing how they changed based on what the lock was doing).

This is the final configuration of the manual sensor I created:

With this sensor I was then able to obtain the information I wanted in a lovelace Entities Card:

Giving me information not only when the nuki in locked/unlocked but also when it is unlocking, locking, unlatching, etc…

As for the lock/unlock/unlatch button I also ended up solving it manually and creating 3 separate buttons for which I also post the code bellow:

1 Like

Great to hear, you’ve made it.
My state also returns theses states since the beginning (half a year ago, when I started this thread).

I also included one MQTT info manually (last lock user).

Interesting… does your MQTT Explorer show the “last lock user” information? I don’t think mine does…

Yes, I read this from this topic:

nuki/xxx/lockActionEvent

Hi guys, I am getting a bit of an issue when setting this up using MQTT. Can I just check what hostname you guys are putting in the nuki app? I have tried just the IP address, ip address + port but I seem to be getting “This action could not be executed”. Nothing shows in my MQTT log so I can only assume that the message isn’t getting sent through?

Im using the ip address of my homeassistant, its where my mqtt broker is.
hope this helps

2 Likes

How exactly did you manage to do this? I have a Nuki 4 Pro on firmware 4.2.8 version connected to HA via Matter, and the Unlatch control does not show. I’ve tried deleting/reconnecting the lock, as well as factory resetting it - all to no avail.

Another weird thing is that the Firmware version is shown as 4.1.0 in HA, while the app states it’s 4.2.8

I’m hitting this problem, too. How did you “reconnect” the lock?