NVM backup of aeotec v5 stick not working (log added)

Dear all,
I like to migrate from a aeotec v5 to v7 stick. I updated the software of the v5 stick to v1.02. All well
The v5 stick is working in my HA synology system running in a VM. Still all well.
Now I tried to make a NVM backup using Zwave JS UI.
There nothing happens after the windos warning that the radio will be shutdown during the backup.
Looking in the Logs I get the following error message:

2023-11-16 16:23:04.494 INFO APP: GET /health/zwave 301 0.953 ms - 191
2023-11-16 16:23:17.294 INFO Z-WAVE: Calling api backupNVMRaw with args: [ [length]: 0 ]
2023-11-16 16:23:17.297 ERROR APP: Unhandled Rejection, reason: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘isInBootloader’)
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘isInBootloader’)
at ZwaveClient.callApi (/opt/server/lib/ZwaveClient.js:2607:45)
at Socket. (/opt/server/app.js:508:47)
at Socket.emit (node:events:529:35)
at Socket.emitUntyped (/opt/node_modules/socket.io/dist/typed-events.js:69:22)
at /opt/node_modules/socket.io/dist/socket.js:704:39
at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:77:11)

Anybody has an idea what is going wrong?
What could I do?
many thnx in advance.
regards,
Frank

Your stick is in bootloader mode looking for firmware. you sure the firmware loaded correctly?

The error log looks like it’s the result of a bug in ZUI not handling an error case correctly. You would need to look at the driver logs to see what the real problem is: https://zwave-js.github.io/zwave-js-ui/#/troubleshooting/generating-logs?id=driver-logs

1 Like

Many thnx for the help.
How can I check the firmware is loaded correctly?
I would think it is, since it is working.’
Using this Zwave Aeotec v5 stick all my lamps are switching on/off as expected.

do what freshcoast asks first - I learn from them :wink:

Many Thnx!
You directed me to something new for me.
It turned out that for Zwave nothing was in the configuration in Zwave-js-ui.
I am now copying the same information from the Zwave JS control config to the zwave-js-ui config.
I mean all value like: Serial Port info and S2 Unauthenticated information.
But now I get the error that:
Driver: Failed to open the serial port: Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port ZW0100??
So it looks like by doing this zwave-js-ui is not longer able to connect to the Aeotec stick v5 anymore.
I tested a lamp, but it is still working.
Sorry for my English but I am not a native speaker.
Many thanks for your help, very much appreciated !

You can’t run both add-ons at the same time. I would suggest following this guide if you want to switch.

1 Like

When I try now to make a backup I get the message:
Error while calling backupNVMRaw: Z-wave client not connected

Of course, a backup is not possible when ZUI cannot talk to the controller. You can’t make backups until you fix your current state, which is both add-ons running at the same time.

Whow you respond fast, Thnx.

Just a quick question:
I like to replace my Aeotec v5 with a v7 stick. But I like keep all settings of my 29 devices. To completely setup everything is quite some work and not looking forward to it.
In this process I like to copy all data from the V5 stick to the V7 stick.
Am I on the right track?
Do I really need to follow all steps you described in the “switching Z-wave JS addons…”??

Yes. NVM backup and restore is only possible with Z-Wave JS UI. It provides a complete backup and restore functionality. You cannot do any of this in the Z-Wave JS official add-on.

Note that to move from Gen5 to Z-Stick 7 using NVM backup/restore, the Gen5 firmware must be version 1.2 (1.02). Also, if you are in the EU region, the Z-Stick seems to have RF range problems. Some people have had to go back to Gen5.

Ok,
Yes, I am living in the EU region (The Netherlands).
I like to setup an Alarm system. For this I ordered the Ring keypad on Z-wave but this Ring keypad requires an Aeotec v7 stick. But listening to you I maybe should find another solution. I can still return the v7 stick and the Ring keypad. Not opened yet.

No, it doesn’t require the Aeotec v7 stick. All Z-Wave devices are backwards compatible. You can use the Ring keypad with your Gen5.

Here’s a very long thread about using the Keypad you may find helpful:

Note that it’s 2 years old, so some information may be out of date.

1 Like

Thnx again.
Ok, since I have a working system. I will return the v7 stick and continue with my working v5.
Maybe I should order an additional v5 :wink:
I will test to connect the Ring keypad v2 with my Aeotec v5.
Thnx for the great help

I am reading this:
Thank you so much for putting together your write-up and creating a blueprint. It was very helpful for me and I was able to set up the keypad in little time. The only thing I would recommend is noting somewhere in the documentation about the security requirements. Unfortunately, I could not get the keypad (v2) to pair with my old Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (I tried literally everything). Thankfully, I had recently ordered the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+ (Plus) model which supports S2 security and I was able to backup my previous settings to the new Z-wave USB stick. I’m guessing this keypad is only compatible with S2 security. Thanks again for your efforts!

That’s correct. The Ring Keypad requires S2 security, so it will work with the Aeotec Gen5+, but not the older Aeotec Gen5.

Did you try it yourself?

I just ordered the Gen5+ stick. It will come tonight, so I will test it most likely tomorrow morning.
It looks like the migration from my OLD Gen5 stick to the Gen5+ stick is quite simple, according to what I was reading. Just backup the Gen5 and restore the backup to the Gen5+.
I will come back with my results.
Thnx all for helping!!

Please find below my update and findings.
I ordered the Aeotec Gen5+ stick yesterday and was working to install it this morning:

• Made backup from Gen5 stick
  • inserted Gen5+ stick but then I had issues that the correct port was not showing in Aeotec backup tool. Restarted my laptop and again no go. In and out USB port ;-(.
    Restarted my laptop again and suddenly the Gen5+ stick was connected to Aeotec backup tool. Restore of Gen5 backup was succesfull.
  • Plugged Gen5+ stick to my Synology Nas, not working …
  • Then I check in my VM the status of the USB device and it turned out this was disconnected state.
  • Added the Gen5+ in my VM on my Synology back as the USB device.
  • Restarted Home Assistant and after a few minutes all was working again with my New Aeotec Gen5+ stick !!! Feeling happy again :wink:
  • Then I connected the Ring Keypad V2 to the power.
  • Via Home Assistent → Zwave → add device. Pressed number 1 key on keyboard and the keypad was detected and connect (after adding a few digits of the security code - found in the box of the keypad)
    So this is now working as well !!
    Also added Skyconnect stick and got an Eve Door Windows sensor working as well.
    I have now the components working for an Alarm system.
    Now I have to find out how to integrate the Ring Keypad and how to setup an alarm system :wink:
    Lot to find out, but the basic blocks seems to work.
    Again many thanks for helping me.
    This saved a lot of time !!!
    So if someone has an idea how to setup an alarm system, please let me know :wink: !

Yes, that’s roughly my experience using the Aoetec tools for backup and firmware update. Patience, reboots, etc. and eventually they work.