Official Hue sensors component

This thread is to discuss development of an official Hue sensors component, to replace the custom component in this thread. Development will continue the work started by @marthocoo here. Unlike the current custom component (which is a glorified rest sensor) the official component will use asyncio. Ideally this thread will bring together developers who wish to work on this project, and be a place for announcements e.g. of requests for beta testers.

12 Likes

This is a great idea. How do we get started? I’m new to HA but willing to try to help.

I will create and maintain a fork which others can PR to. When we need beta testers I’l make a shout here. In the meantime learn asyncio :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am here for a beta test, too :wink:

I have 5x motion sensor and 3x remote…

1 Like

I’m also open for testing.just one thing. Could you please integrate a function which resets the last button press. For example if u push on button one time and u need to push on button a second time (due to certain circumstances like automations) u first would have to push another button on the remote to get button on press recognized

Any news here? :slight_smile:

Update: been busy with data science portal. Official Hue sensor support in 2019.

5 Likes

I am not much of a programmer, but if you have a beta version you want testing, I am all for it. In my hue collection I currently have 3 “motion” sensors, half a dozen dimmer switches and a Tap (the one that doesnt use batteries) along with 12 globes and a couple of hue go lamps.

:slight_smile: Look forward to seeing the progress.

@thundergreen
The “custom” component recognises both pressed and “up” state for the Hue Dimmer Switch.

Example: if button 2 is pressed it will change to “2_click” when it is released it will change to “2_click_up”

You can’t do that with the Hue Tap though as it uses kinetic energy generation so can’t send a signal when the button is released.

Thanks for the Update;)

I’d be down for helping out with any development being a python developer and owning a lot of hue products.

1 Like

@fahr great to have your expression of interest. Please first get famiilar with the custom component then head to this thread. Cheers

looks like the official hue sensors integration has landed in 0.92!

I think its just the sensors so far, remotes in a future addition

From what I can tell - I now have double sensors (from this custom component and the official component) - however this custom component - is reacting to motion sensors a lot quicker than the official. Is anyone else seeing this? Its like 20 second difference, and when you’re utilizing automations based on motion (like turning lights on) - that makes a huge difference. The official is unusable at that point. Is this because of some setting I have to customize with the official… or is this maybe just because its utilizing the custom first, since there’s two sensors now…

I am also noticing a delay. I had the custom component installed. After upgrading to 0.92.0, I removed the custom component and made sure the motion sensor was appearing in the Integrations screen. What used to be near instant is now 5-8 seconds. You might have longer latency because you have two sensors, but it is still much slower using the native integration now.

Please create an issue on the HA repo

FWIW, I switched over to the official integration for my motion sensor and I’m just using the custom component for my Friends of Hue switches now, I’m still seeing immediate status updates in Home Assistant.