Older Denon AVR with RS232

Hi Group!

I have an older Denon 2310CI AVR that has an RS232 serial interface only.

Has anyone in the group been able to integrate one of these older receivers into Home Assistant?

Garry

Let me know if you are still looking for Denon RS232 control. I hacked a custom component together that has been working for years and stumbled upon your post when I was checking for an official component when it stopped working with the latest HA release. I have fixed the issues with my custom component so it is working again. If there is interest I can post it.

Yes, very interested. Thank you!

Ok let me figure out the proper ways to package it up and put on GitHub.

Also interested in this! Just managed to interface to my Denon AVR-2310 with an ESP8266 by running ESP-Link and using a MAX3232 board. About to have a play with integrating it with Home Assistant via MQTT.

Ok sorry for that delay in posting it. Let me do it over the next couple of days. I just may post a link to the files and directions on where to place them.

Thanks PixelAlarm! Looking forward to it. I was just looking at trading up my AVR for a model with Ethernet capabilities. If I can make it work with your code I’d save some $ which is always good.

I promise I will have something posted in some manor by the end of the weekend. You will need a serial connection from HA box to receiver.

I uploaded the custom component to GitHub.

This may be the wrong way of posting this but wanted to get this out to you. If this is the wrong way of posting / editing please feel free to post it the correct way.

Let me know if there are any questions or issues with the instructions on setting it up.

1 Like

Great!

I’ll post any issues on Github.

Thanks!

Garry

Was looking at the code, doesn’t look like it supports zones?

Is this still working for people? I have an older Denon receiver (2807) that I am using using as a “poor mans” whole home audio system. before i buy a usb hub and usb to serial cable, figured I should check if this still functions.

I was going to use HA to control each outputs volume (FL/FR are family room, surround back L/R are kitchen, etc)

I’m still using using it with my Denon 2310CI and it’s been working fine. I use a 4 port USB to serial adapter. The only issue I’ve had is the USB pass through will occasionally get goofed up when restarting the Home Assistant VM on my Proxmox server. Other than that, it has served me well for a few years now.

1 Like

That’s exactly my plan, but with esxi…

I already have to reboot every other day or so to make my zigbee/zwave usb stick work :grin:

1 Like

Don’t know if this will help or not but I was able to make things slightly better by giving custom names to the usb ports on my server I didn’t want passed through.
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-usb-serial.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{serial}=="FTAJRNJB", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB_Weeder"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{serial}=="FTAJRNJG", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB_CADDX"

Best of luck…

I haven’t used it in over a year as I updated my receiver but looks like somebody recently cloned my original repository so it is being used.

so i know some of you are no longer using this, but i cant for the life of me get it working…

at one point i had the integration in HA and an entity was created, but i couldnt get the serial to communicate… i attached the Serial to USB adapter to my windows laptop and validated that i can power on\off the receiver

so i deleted all the files and uploaded the “fork” of your original (thinking something may have changed), copied the files back up (over Samba and manually with the File Editor addon) but whenever i attempt to add it to the configuration.yaml the validation steps in HA always say that the denon232 integration is not found… i have rebooted the VM multiple times with the files uploaded but not in the configuration.yaml (both full restarts and just HA restarts), but nothing resolves the issue… any ideas?

Mine is still working.

I have the files from the repository stored in a folder called denon232 below my custom_components folder in my HA install and then:

media_player:
  - platform: denon232
    serial_port: /dev/ttyUSB1
    name: Receiver

in my configuration.yaml file.

I did have some trouble with USB passthrough on my Proxmox server but eventually go t that figured out.

Garry

Yea, I have basically the same thing…

Why is nothing ever easy…

I recently obtained an old Denon AVR so I also got interested in integrating it within Home Assistant. I forked the existing integration and modified it to my needs and added some features. I have no clue if this will even still work for others, but in case anyone is interested, my fork can be found here: https://github.com/bajansen/homeassistant-denon232

2 Likes