[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

As asked, I would love to know the reasons.

Can you not just choose one supported OS, like Debian, and that’s it? At least that gives people one option for continued use.

16 Likes

Hmm, I think the disconnect from supervisor is confusing people?

Can you run HA supervisor under docker “manually” and it will happily run/update an HA container? While also being able to use add-ons via mapped volumes? I think this would solve 95% of qualms here?

Also, just as a note, re-checking on the installation docs, there doesn’t appear to be mention of how to install via docker? (@ https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/)

2 Likes

This is my working ESXI config, i have been running since 2.12 image.
Hope it helps!

I actually went the other way around, used a PI, a OrangePI zero, then a PI3, then a Linux generic install, but when add-ons came, migrated to a VM for the easy of upgrading in the future.
Lucky me!
:stuck_out_tongue:

Supervisor expects it owns certain components and containers and that it is only one making changes. Issues start happening if these things are updated by the user or processes.

And for continued use… the script is still there? People can still install a supervised install on generic Linux today. We just don’t maintain it anymore, but someone else could?

And that is great. I have used that script and have a HassOS running in a VM as a test system.
Is there an ‘official’ way to set this up without a script or should that script be made ‘official’?

Not sure I’m that thrilled about running HassOS AT ALL TBH… Much rather the generic Linux install. Now I will need to maintain 2 VM’s as I don’t only run HA and I do like having the full HA Supervised experience.

5 Likes

Check this out.

I would like to know what needs supporting. Is it just the actual install script? Or are there separate supervisor/core/dns containers that need to be maintained?

In other words, beyond maintaining the install script to operate on any conceivable hardware and any base OS, is there more to it than that?

13 Likes

The script hasn’t changed that much. But it’s what opens the flood gates. There is just a constant flood of issues across all parts of the code that are related to generic Linux installs with some of the components configured slightly differently.

It would be handy if someone has a list of HA addons and the generic container equivalents… (or suggestions for generic docker images to use to achieve the same purpose)

1 Like

Give us a list of the addons then.

Right, so you’re really after someone to maintain the install script and debug/fix all the issues that arise from the resulting installation?

Probably the second part is outside of my skillset.

Is venv still supported? Just not sure what that would be referred to as right now. Don’t want to do a rebuild of my system if I don’t need to.

2 Likes

in a word, yes!

So it is only the script not being maintained? Will my current installation(s) still run and will I still be able to update home assistant like I do now? (In other words, the HA images for QEMUX86 will still be updated and it’s only the install script not being maintained?)

Just spent 3h to migrate my install from supervised to the official image that is provided. Had some problems as I’m not that great with ZFS and Proxmox yet, but I was able to boot after some trouble. Restoring my installation was also kinda troublesome, as some Add-Ons didn’t like the restore from my snapshot. After some reboots and restarts it finally works.

One question: it now says I’m running Operating System 4.6 and there is an update available to 3.13. I’m a little confused. Can someone elaborate what that means?

1 Like

What’s being discussed here is (sort of) what you were describing. For a straight docker install though:

1 Like

Seriously folks need to calm down. I get that it sucks and could have been communicated better/earlier/whatever, but look at it this way.

The core team can be A Microsoft trying to support every combination of hardware imaginable and be user friendly at the expense of resources and money.

The core team can be a Linux doing a best effort to support every combination, but rely on the user to figure their own problems out.

The core team can be an Apple and make things “just work” at the expense of having to be prescriptive about the hardware it runs on.

Frankly as a supervised user, I’d rather they focus on the “just work” aspect so we can have a Zwave 1.6 or even a v1.0.0 someday and the community can fill in where the community wants.

5 Likes

MQTT, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, VS-Code, MariaDB, Appdaemon, Caddy, Dropbox Sync, Configurator(File Editor), Glances, JupyterLab Lite, Logviewer, ZeroTier, TasmoAdmin, PhpMyAdmin.

Maybe a new post for people to list them. I know from the ones i use they are from the official developers of those. Nodred, moquitto mqtt,mariadb, influx etc

Mostly a matter of searching docker hub for those.