[On Hold] Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux

Thank you for listening and putting this on hold and for the future discussions that I know your decision will ultimately inspire. I hope good things come from this and am confident that a good solution will be the outcome.

You are running the supervised mode that this post is dealing with.

Wow thanks, that’s not good

Glad that its on hold… all my HASS installations are on generic linux as they are on multipurpose PCs, its a must for me!
Again, I know no one owes us anything, so thanks again for your hard work either way.

Thank you for putting this on hold. I am so relieved as I really depend on HA in my home. I am running HA supervised on Ubuntu/NUC and was starting to panic on which way to move forward. Since I want the ease of use of add-ons then it appears that my options are to wipe out my Ubuntu/NUC system and install HassOS or Proxmox and then HassOS as a VM. Is this correct? I don’t like that HassOS limits my NUC to only HA and I have zero experience with Proxmox (or any other VN) which would dramatically increase the time I spend maintaining my installation. So, neither way was a good alternative.
So thanks to the devs for listening to the user community.

Yeah, use the qcow2 one - it’s not as straightforward as one would expect though, and there’s some other issues.

This one to get it installed…

This one to see why hoping you can just install it, copy in a snapshot and be up and running in no time is a misnomer…

What is the problem with devs knowing in what way their platform is being used? It can only give them an idea, about what is usefull to maintain(or not). The only metric now is # of downloads, which is untrustworthy.

How you or I ‘want’ it to be is irrelevant imho. Personally I like yaml over all that click and point stuff, but I don’t complain.

The devs decide the route, but that goes easier with reliable info.

1 Like

Thank you for listening.

There have been a number of these sorts of threads over the past few months in which the attitude has been dismissive and at times arrogant to the thoughts and feedback from the community. This thread looked to be much of the same.

I was so pleased to have woken this morning to see that the dev team has listened. I genuinely mean that, thank you for listening.

The take away from this is that communication is key, clear and precise explanations are important and pathways for users post any sort of change need to be considered before making a change.

9 Likes

It’s not back in the install docs yet so excuse me if I delay popping the champagne corks just yet.
I wonder what percentage of users this actually affects. I would think it is fairly high maybe ~40% or so… but that is just a total guess…
Anyway good news and also surprised the devs cared to listen to the users…

2 Likes

I submitted PRs yesterday to reinstate the docs, Frank closed them down. I’ll try and reopen now.

2 Likes

Good luck with that. This is only a stay of execution until they devise an alternative solution.

I agree that’s probably the case. I am already working on moving my install to Proxmox in lieu of this being killed off sooner rather than later. But, a stay of execution is better than nothing for those who were blindsided and don’t understand the pathway forward.

I did an install on my test PC yesterday. Going to format and start fresh today and see if the time it takes is longer than following my own guide for generic install.

Interesting looking at the docs now… I won’t be surprised to see any install but the HassOS variants meeting the same fate. First all-in-one, then hassbian, now generic… They will eventually be coming for anyone that doesn’t acquiesce to HassOS voluntarily… I see multiple VM’s in my future.

3 Likes

I would suggest that they won’t be adding back this installation method to the website but will continue to support it for those already using it with a view and hopefully guidelines on how to transition to HassOS in some form over a defined time period.

When time is up, no more updates, you’ve had a chance to migrate etc etc.

1 Like

I would also like to know if the NUC image can be used on other style of x86_64 machine.

I don’t really want to buy a NUC as my current machine has RAID disks which I like and there’s no NUC for under $1000 that can do it… The other hardware options are worse. Kind of painful to spend $500 and then get something worse than what I already have.

One thing this post did highlight was the number of people who have HA but have no idea the method they used to install it
Now that is scary

10 Likes

While I’m very happy that the decision has been reversed as this is my current install method; I wish people would remember this is not only an open source project, it’s also still technically in beta.

When I read the news this morning I immediately started learning about the other install methods. I just recently became more comfortable with VM’s due to wanting to use Remmina from my gaming laptop to have GUI into my NUC that runs Home Assistant. And now knowing that this will at some point probably still go away I’ll probably end up going the virtualbox route.

But the last thing I thought about doing was coming in here and complaining. You guys do awesome work and I’m very appreciative to be in this early in the development (been using HA for about 2 years now). Thank you guys for all your hard work.

2 Likes

uh, anyone can help me install an intel-nuc homeassistant image to a laptop?

i’ve tried in vain using the live ubuntu usb to boot and gnome disk to restore intel nuc image to the local hard drive but it’s still not working.

It’s not designed for laptops, it’s designed for use in NUCs.

1 Like

Having NUTS is quite simple… where do you get it stuck?