One Zigbee gateway to rule them all?

You could also try deCONZ with either the RaspBee (Pi GPIO) or Conbee (USB) hardware by Dresden Elektronik. There’s a HASS component written for it that I’m currently testing and the integration is very very good. The only possible downside is that you have to run the deCONZ server alongside HASS (deCONZ talks to the lights/sensors/remotes while HASS talks to deCONZ to get light states etc and send commands). It’s using websockets though so state reporting is instant.

3 Likes

I’ve got the Conbee module as well, I can’t say I’m getting on wonderfully with it. So far the Zigate module with the code here: New custom component : ZiGate (obsolete) has been working best for me.

1 Like

What issues are you experiencing?

@MindrustUK Did you end up trying the EZSP 4 firmware?

1 Like

I can confirm that ZiGate USB stick is working great for me. So far I have tested it with:

• Xiaomi Temperature Sensor (both Aqara and Mijia)
  • Xiaomi Human Motion Sensor (both Aqara and regular)
  • Xiaomi Aqara Window Door Sensor
  • Xiaomi Smart Wireless Switch(both Aqara and Mijia)
  • OSRAM SMART+ Plug
  • Ikea TRÅDFRI Light Bulb

and I’m very happywith the results.
Here’s full list of what ZiGate is compatible with (in French):

1 Like

Really, you don’t have any trouble at all with either TRÅDFRI or Xiaomi, specifically the two best known companies to incorrectly implement ZigBee Light Link and ZigBee Home Automation protocols respectively?

Yeah, it works quite well for me with HA and Zigate stick.
I think the idea behind Zigate is to take care of these incompatibilities.
One device I tried recently and didn’t work is Xiaomi Water Leak sensor, but I didn’t troubleshoot it.
There are now 2 separate implementations of Zigate plugin for HA:

Unfortunately both didn’t receive commits for months now.

It’s quite tragic that the deCONZ and ZiGate do so much processing upfront.
Would be a lot better to dump everything, so that efforts in classifying devices didn’t have to be duplicated.

Can anyone point me towards instructions on how I might infiltrate a network where a Xiaomi Gateway is the Coordinator using something like a Texas Instruments CC2531 to observe how some stuff is actuated?
Or is deCONZ in Router (not Coordinator) mode a better option?