Onkyo Component controls

Mmhh sorry I don’t get it.

I have a Yamaha AVR and there I use the commands
media_player. play and other commands

With this onkyo is not possible?

Can you please give me some simple examples?

I don’t understand

Overall is easy to use this receiver in HASSIO?

I ask because I am going to buy a used one on ebay, need an answer before buying

Is anyone still wanting to use the eiscp to set up finer-grained automation/controls? I am currently setting this up - but struggling with some of the commands (my model might need some variations).

I thought I should share the progress I have made; - the easiest way is probably to use the shell_command component, which acts to pass arguments to a python script:

import eiscp
host = '192.168.~~~~'

try:
    receiver = eiscp.eISCP(host)
except:
    _LOGGER.error("Unable to connect to receiver at %s", host)
    sys.exit("Unable to connect to receiver at %s", host)

# Example Commands:
receiver.command('tone-subwoofer bass-down')
receiver.command('listening-mode all-ch-stereo')
receiver.command('listening-mode thx-cinema')
receiver.command('dimmer-level dark')

# Queries:
state = receiver.command('listening-mode query')
mode = str(state).split("'")[3]

Many more commands found at https://github.com/WoLpH/onkyo-eiscp/blob/master/eiscp-commands.yaml

1 Like

@MattP I’m very interested to know how you are getting on with this, I too am a bit frustrated that I can’t control the finer grained settings on my Onkyo when switching input sources. Did you continue down the shell command route or have you found another way?

Apologies mate, I thought I had replied to this but my reply must have been incomplete and lost :frowning:

Anyways… I ended up giving up on scripting to control Onkyo; and instead used NodeRed alongside HA to send the eiscp messages direct to the receiver. I got very close with the scripts, but ultimately found too many instances where the documentation didn’t match the function.

I could not set volumes on individual speakers, as an example. I was better served by NodeRed and so I cut over.

I may be able to help with any specific command you want to achieve?

Hi @MattP, I’ve just recently started trying to get my Onkyo full flexible in HA as I normally use a Logitech Harmony to control most activities for the TV and media devices. The problem I experience with that approach is that Harmony doesn’t have the flexibility to control the lowest level over the Onkyo audio mode, e.g. If I switch from TV to a CD input I’d like to swap from TV Logic to All Stereo.

What I’m currently trying is to automate HA to change the Onkyo audio mode depending on what activity is running on Harmony. I’ve started using the shell approach after reading your post and seem to be making some progress for what I need, though I have to admit that spinning up a shell on a RPi each time does mean there’s some lag before the command kicks in.

My original thought was to potentially create a customer version of the Onkyo Media player control and expand it with a service to accept raw commands, but obviously that needs a bit more investment in my time and as I’m still in mid throws of a lot of other new functionality, that’s on a back burner for now.

Yeah that sounds like a good project. I have my automations running off the Google Chromecast status - that returns a complex object, but you can glean whether it is 5.1 or stereo. So that reliably controls the “listen mode” on both my Pioneer and my Onkyo.

I have the Onkyo component installed and working for normal on/off, volume and FM source choices. Could someone help me with a switch to choose the input source Music Streaming -> TuneIn Radio?

Receiver info: HT-RC560

Hello,

I have an Onkyo TX NR-709 AV amplifier.
I added the component Onkyo and I can select the sources, turn on / off but I miss the possibility to choose other options like audio effects, etc.
I have the Excel file with all the EISCP commands.
Is it possible to easily add these commands / feedback information to the official component (https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/dev/homeassistant/components/media_player/onkyo.py)?
If so, do you have an example (for example, how to select the audio effect and display the status on HA)?

Thank you.

i stumbled upon this, take a look…

3 Likes

Can this be used to control the listening mode of a Pioneer VSX-1131 receiver? It uses the Onkyo component in Hass.

I use a harmony hub but it leaves a lot to be desired at times so I’d like to add a couple of buttons to my Hass interface to select Dolby Surround, Pure Direct, DTS etc.

1 Like

There are a ton of super advanced users in this forum, took me an afternoon to figure out how to use some of the hints in this page, so I’ll summarize it here for the other newbies out there…

what I found on https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/1578 is that by modifying the configuration.yaml adding the following lines, it is possible to activate and turn off the onkyo:

- platform: command_line
    switches:
      onkyo_test:
        command_on: "/usr/local/bin/onkyo system-power=on SLI23"
        command_off: "/usr/local/bin/onkyo system-power=standby"

for that to work in gui: you go on lovelace, and add a button called -in my example- onkyo_test.

This worked.

following the above, there are a ton of commands that should be usable and they are documented here:

in particular, once you understand the logic, the file
https://github.com/miracle2k/onkyo-eiscp/blob/b27e8158c09b04a2160e395d9710f6748f431bf5/eiscp-commands.yaml
is particularly rich of information , for example there are commands to setup listening-mode (stereo, direct, etc), audyssey-dynamic-eq, late-night, music-optimizer-sound-retriever, audyssey-dynamic-volume, preset-memory / preset / internet-radio-preset (1-40 for network radios eg), etc etc etc

hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

/usr/local/bin/onkyo is not there anymore, there’s actually no “onkyo” command in the whole system when I run a “find”
anyone knows what happened / how to fix?

My Onkyo integration stopped working recently as well…seems a recent update may have broke it?

Hello:

I got basic control of the Onkyo ht-RC360 working as follows:

1. I put this in the Configuration.yaml:
# Onkyo Receiver
media_player:
  - platform: onkyo
    host: 192.168.1.112
    name: receiver

This gave basic media control (on/off), but not much else

1. Added this also:
shell_command:
  onkyo_command: onkyo --host {{ ip }} {{ cmd }}

Note that the command is just “onkyo”, without referring to a path. This is because the eiscp controls are already incorporated, possibly by step 1?

1. Now I can control using the commands in the referenced git page, such as this script to turn on the receiver, and select Network/Pandora/item 20 in the pandora defined channel list:
    alias: Perky
sequence:
  - service: shell_command.onkyo_command
    data:
      ip: 192.168.1.112
      cmd: PWR01
  - delay: 1
    data:
      cmd: ZPW01
    data:
      cmd: SLI2B
    data:
      cmd: NSV04
  - delay: 2
    data:
      cmd: NLSI0020
mode: single

All well and good for sending commands. Note: On my (older) receiver, the line index ends up being a 4-digit number, rather than the 5-digit number seen in the documentation.

I am going to try Shell Command Switch to get feedback on switch value, and Shell Command Sensor for volume level. Wish me luck.

However, I believe I should be able to get a list of the Pandora menu defined channels somehow back to HA using a variant of the NLS command. How do I get that list back into HA, so rather than predefining what each menu position contains, I can read it from the receiver, present it in a selection list, and then set it by index.

Also, where (within HA) can I go to enter commands directly and see the response? I tried a “Terminal” window, but it does not understand “onkyo” as a command. If I could go to a window where I can type in commands and see responses, it may be easier to figure things out.

Thanks
Chuck

Did you ever figure out how to read the list from the receiver and present it in HA? I too would love this feature.

Nope, no responses. It must be possible, the Onkyo app for Android is able to get the list, but without being able to manually issue commands and read responses, I don’t think I can get any further

Chuck

That’s unfortunate. I tried to find a way to parse shell commands and had no luck as well.
Thanks for the reply.