Onkyo eiscp installation on HassIO

To control my Onkyo 809 reciever from my Hassio I need to install onkyo-eiscp. First task is to run the command “$ easy_install onkyo-eiscp”. How to I run command like this on Hassio? I’ve tried Putty without any luck.

I installed the Onkyo component, which (I believe) is built on eiscp. It seems to work, I can turn on/off my Onkyo TXNR414, control the volume and select source. Although, I can’t figure out how to get Hassio to tell it to play an mp3 on the USB source or over the network, which is what I really want it for.

Did you have any luck figuring this out? I migrated over to Hassio and lost the ability to switch to net radio.

no luck for me

I’m thinking the only way to get this working for now is to install eiscp on the host system, and shell command ssh from hassio to host system with the commands. Bit of a pain though…

so, digging around I found that the command easy_install onkyo-eiscp comes from:

this is a python module and a python interpreter comes preinstalled in hassio (or maybe when installing hacs, not sure)… anyway it is possible to have files .py working , in fact modules under hacs contain plenty of .py files.

since easy_install doesn’t work, I also tried:

pip install onkyo-eiscp
python -m pip install onkyo-eiscp
python3 -m pip install onkyo-eiscp

and neither are recognized commands.

what I found tho (source https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/1578 ) is that by modifying the configuration.yaml adding the following lines, it is possible to activate and turn off the onkyo:

- platform: command_line
    switches:
      onkyo_test:
        command_on: "/usr/local/bin/onkyo system-power=on SLI23"
        command_off: "/usr/local/bin/onkyo system-power=standby"

next: you go on lovelace, and add a button called -in my example- onkyo_test.

This worked.

following the above, there are a ton of commands that should be usable and they are documented here:

in particular, once you understand the logic, the file
https://github.com/miracle2k/onkyo-eiscp/blob/master/eiscp-commands.yaml
is particularly rich of information for what I see, for example there are commands to setup listening-mode (stereo, direct, etc), audyssey-dynamic-eq, late-night, music-optimizer-sound-retriever, audyssey-dynamic-volume, preset-memory / preset / internet-radio-preset (1-40 for network radios eg), etc etc etc

hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“onkyo” is gone from my system, infact I cannot run a find / -name onkyo … or… well, I can run it, it just returns nothing…

anyone knows what happened / how to fix?

Stooped working for me as well recently…

Hi
I have Onkyo receiver and i am trying to get listingmode: Dolby Atmos, All Channel, Dolby Audio - Surr etc. to work. I can see like below in de developers mode de listingmode of my onkyo. But how must i adress this in services so i can switch to other listingmodes. I hope someone has a solution?

source_list:

• TV_SHIELD
  • GAME
  • AUX
  • HTPC
  • BD/DVD
  • PHONO
  • CD
  • FM
  • USB
  • INTERNET
  • DREAMBOX
  • Multichannel
    volume_level: 0.49542682926829273
    is_volume_muted: false
    source: TV_SHIELD
    audio_information:
    format: PCM
    input_frequency: 48 kHz
    input_channels: 2.0 ch
    listening_mode: Dolby Audio - Surr

Has anyone been able to run onkyo commands on HA OS 6.0 ?

Trying to map the list of sources, find max volume, etc on my TX-RZ830 but whenever I run onkyo --host 192.168.0.XXX source=query I receive a zsh: command not found: onkyo

It is like onkyo-eiscp is not installed, but how would that be possible if I can add and control the device with a generic set of sources by adding a simple config to my YAML?

1 Like

I’m running HA OS 6.2 and was able to run the Onkyo command. It took at a little digging as I’m new to HA, but here’s how I did it:
You need to switch so you have a prompt inside the Docker container running Home Assistant.
From the # prompt (enter login at the ha> prompt to switch to # ) to get a docker shell, then enter, docker exec -ti <container> /bin/bash (to get the container ID enter command docker container ls, you want the one running homeassistant)
Once you’re at the right prompt - you can use the onkyo command just fine. (it’ll be at /usr/local/bin/onkyo)

1 Like