OpenWeatherMap version 3.0

I’m confused about the Open Weather Map integration. I’ve been using it for a long time and like it but just got an email that version 2.5 is going to be depreciated. So, I signed up for version 3.0.

But: I have no idea if I can point HA to API version 3.0? Is that supported?

If not, what is a good alternative to the Open Weather Map integration for local, European, weather forecast and current activity? (e.g. It started raining)?

Thank you

6 Likes

same questions

1 Like

It seems that you need to provide a credit card to access One Call API 3.0, with a number of calls per month being available for free. If the HA integration is switched to the 3.0 api, it’s going to take more than just an upgrade for people to switch over to the new API.

I’m a bit nervous about signing up for the new API because there doesn’t seem to be a way to set a monthly maximum on the OpenWeather side. The wrong sort of bug in the integration could become expensive.

1 Like

If you look under billing plans in your OpenWeatherMap account, there is an option to set the calls per day maximum. I’m reading that to mean you can have the API refuse the connection after you’ve exceeded that. It was set at 2000 by default, so I set it to 1000, which is the number you get for free. Given the weather gets checked only every four hours (I think), I’m not sure how I’d ever test to see if that’s doing what I think it’s doing though.

I’m really hoping this gets fixed. I’ve tried a number of other weather providers, and OpenWeatherMaps seems to be the only one that gives me the data I want in a way I can get it to work with my template weather provider.

1 Like

Yesterday I provided a credit card for access to the new API version 3.0, thinking there is no way I’d exceed my free allotment because I expected to only make one call per day.

But I can tell in the history of my related entity (sensor.openweathermap_forecast_temperature) that it has made more than one call today, because the forecasted temperature has changed about 6 times in the past 12 hours.

I’ve got the integration configured for “onecall_daily”, so it must be that the behavior doesn’t match the description. Oddly enough though, there is no reported usage for this month at Members, so I’m vexxed. Maybe the statistics have a delay in their reporting?

Yea, onecall_daily means you are using the onecall API and getting the daily forecast. How often it is called is based on how you have it setup in HA. I have HA set to check the forecast hourly, whenever HA is restarted, and if the template is reloaded. So I’ll have at least 24 calls each day. Which still leaves me 976 calls each day to spare before I hit the point that I have to pay.

OK, that makes more sense and thanks for the info. The hourly call that you’re making, is that configured in the integration or in whatever automation / script is using the sensor? Never mind, I am officially a dope. My own Node-Red sprinkler automation uses an Inject node to trigger a flow every 15 minutes, checking on the sun’s position / wind speed / precipitation, and yes the forecasted daily high. This is where my multiple calls to the API are coming from!:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I just gave OpenWeather a CC so I could use the onecall 3.0 API but I get a Failed Setup and no data if I pick onecall_hourly. Choosing hourly still works for now (mostly, some fields are missing) but I know it’s on borrowed time.

1 Like

My experience was similar, and then the next time I checked the integration was working again. I suggest you wait at least 2 hours before starting to investigate the issue.

1 Like

Nope, still dead after almost a day. This is a new key I generated but I can make requests to the onecall url with Curl with no problem. If I see onecall_hourly option I shouldn’t need to update should I?

I’m not sure. You might need to delete and re-install the integration to be more sure that it’s using the new key.

I’m curious why folks are generating new API keys. From the email I got from OpenWeatherMap:

“You don’t need to get new API keys, all your current API keys will work with One Call 3.0 after subscription.”

I’m also pretty sure the integration is still using some 2.5 calls, as the library it uses to talk to OpenWeatherMap hasn’t been updated (this was noted earlier in the thread, but I’m posting it again anyway):

It does look like the HA team is working on something though:

So does that mean hourly_onecall can’t work until that PR is merged? Why is it even an option?

I am not an OpenWeatherMap whisperer, but my understanding is that _onecall API calls aren’t specific to the 2.5 or 3.0 version of the API. They are a different way of getting all the data. I think _onecall calls get all the data in one shot rather than some of the other OWM APIs that take multiple calls to get things.

I’ve never been able to tell exactly what you get with the free API tier, but I swear at some point I thought I saw that hourly forecasts were a paid feature. I’ve never wanted hourly (only daily) forecasts, so I never looked at it that close.

That’s a really long way of saying that I’m not really sure why the hourly_onecall isn’t working for you.

I just upgraded to 2024.6 beta and it showed a repair activity with the request to upgrade.

It appears one needs to provide credit card information on order to continue to use API 3.0. I assume nobody would voluntarily hand out their credit card information to random businesses unless one intends to pay for a service.

Since I have no intention of paying for free weather informatie or handing out my credit card info, does this mean OpenWeatherMap is no longer usable?
If so, I think it would be fair to mention this in the documentation that OpenWeatherMap is now a payed service (even if no actual costs are involved).

4 Likes

You are correct. To use the 3.x API you have to provide a credit card. Without it, the updated Open Weather Map service won’t work. Looking at the limits before billing actually kicks in, I think most people will never have to pay anything. And there is a way in your account to set usage limits so you never have to pay (i.e. you can set it so that the API will stop working when you reach a certain number of calls). But I agree that the docs should probably be updated to indicate you have to provide a credit card so people can make their own choices.

1 Like

FWIW - you can use Privacy.com to create a virtual credit card number, and set the limit on the card to one use only or max 50cents per day or whatever, effectively preventing you from being accidentally charged.

2 Likes

This is crazy, I really don’t want to provide my credit card information for this.

With all the sites getting hacked I’m really thinking twice about handing over my credit card information to anyone - especially in this case where my goal would be to never exceed the daily limit for a free account anyway.

If OpenWeatherMap wants to do good, then imho they should keep there free service free without asking for credit card info.

Asking for credit card data is only going to lead to situations where: 1. people are being charged for unintentionally misconfiguring there systems, getting charged and then having to opening up charge back complaints, or 2. people having their accounts hacked and then bad actors using their api keys or even worse their credit card info with the real owner only finding out too late and after the damage has been done.

Why open the doors to such nonsense, openweather map please reconsider.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what to make of openweathermaps actual pricing. The “pricing” page says 1000 API calls per day for free. When I go to the “subscribe” page I see “One Call 3.0 API subscription, Base plan, 0.15 USD per 100 calls (VAT is not included)”.