OpenWeatherMap version 3.0

I’m confused about the Open Weather Map integration. I’ve been using it for a long time and like it but just got an email that version 2.5 is going to be depreciated. So, I signed up for version 3.0.

But: I have no idea if I can point HA to API version 3.0? Is that supported?

If not, what is a good alternative to the Open Weather Map integration for local, European, weather forecast and current activity? (e.g. It started raining)?

Thank you

6 Likes

same questions

1 Like

It seems that you need to provide a credit card to access One Call API 3.0, with a number of calls per month being available for free. If the HA integration is switched to the 3.0 api, it’s going to take more than just an upgrade for people to switch over to the new API.

I’m a bit nervous about signing up for the new API because there doesn’t seem to be a way to set a monthly maximum on the OpenWeather side. The wrong sort of bug in the integration could become expensive.

If you look under billing plans in your OpenWeatherMap account, there is an option to set the calls per day maximum. I’m reading that to mean you can have the API refuse the connection after you’ve exceeded that. It was set at 2000 by default, so I set it to 1000, which is the number you get for free. Given the weather gets checked only every four hours (I think), I’m not sure how I’d ever test to see if that’s doing what I think it’s doing though.

I’m really hoping this gets fixed. I’ve tried a number of other weather providers, and OpenWeatherMaps seems to be the only one that gives me the data I want in a way I can get it to work with my template weather provider.