OpenWeatherMap version 3.0

I made a comparison of alternatives here: Weather integration comparison 😎
Hopefully, it will be expended to become a complete overview of all weather integration.

As the overview shows, OpenWeatherMap has a few advantages, but nothing which is worth leaking your credit card information. Plenty of choices to switch to.

6 Likes

For online purchases, I use a rechargeable card. I don’t think it’s a problem to share your card details to have a service that is basically free. Also, if the card is not confirmed for future orders, it should not be meorized. I have yet to quantify how many are 1000 free requests per day, but I think it’s enough. I think I’m going to have to do some control so that I don’t go any further. It’s just my idea, but I think I’ll use this service without any major worries

ps:
I imagine that having servers running 24 hours a day 365 d has a cost, and that not putting any limits on API requests exposes you to reckless use of the service.

Even more creazier, it is not common to have a credit card in Belgium where I live.
I only have a debit card, I can’t even register at all.

2 Likes

Then bye bye openweathermap.
It’s ok to have a paid service, but you dont offer free queries asking for a credit card.
I love it when a provider gets a name and a reputation based on their free services and all the users trusting them and one day they just force all old and new users to a paid subscription.
So long, OWM! And thanks for all the fish

5 Likes

It’s 1000 free calls and the 0.15 USD per hundred calls after that.

Thanks, @AJediIAm, for the comparison. Great resource!

About billing, I put my credit card down at OpenWeatherMap and set a daily limit to 999. I still have no idea which API I’m using but I checked yesterday and OWM created two invoices for me for $0.00 so it seems to be OK.

Based on @AJediIAm’s work - I may change provider though.

No way! Im not entering my creditcard for a free service, which I barely use in HA.

What if OWM is hacked? Do they have a EU data processing agreement? In a non EU country?

If this “free” service stops working in june I guess I will have to remove the Integration. I have no automations which are dependend of the OMW integration and I look at my phone anyway.

Thank you @AJediIAm’s for making a alternative providerlist

2 Likes

You should read the Privacy Policy before entering your credit cards

And remember to Opt Out so they dont sell you data!

7.DATA SECURITY

We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.

You will have trust that “appropriate security” is good enough. I cant find a IT Auditor report.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative service to OpenweatherMap?
I used it to provide an hourly weather forecast (nothing else) so I have a lovelace card that’s broken.

I’m not going to provide any credit card details for what was / should be a free service, so any recommendations to provide the above functionality is welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Does a forum badge come with that?

I am also confused. Is OWM turning off API 2.5 sometime in June?
Is API 3.0 operational now?
Is the OWM Integration working with either API, or is there an upgrade to the integration supposed to happen sometime in June?

It’s been a few years since I signed up for OpenWeatherMap, but I am pretty certain that providing a credit card has always been necessary for OWM access.

Yesterday I upgraded to Core 2024.6.0 / Supervisor 2024.06.0. Upon restart I was told that I had an integration which no longer worked, and it was the older OpenWeatherMap integration I had. So I deleted it, since I have the newer one working.

The page for the integration says “OpenWeatherMap API V2.5 will be closed in June 2024. After this date, you will need to use API V3.0.”

No, it has not. If it was, I will never have the possibility to use it, as I never had an CC…

Just switched to accuweather; have deleted openweathermap.

1 Like

accuweather does not have an hourly forecast. are there alternatives with an hourly forecast?

1 Like

If you’d scolled up a bit in this post, you’d have found this excellent post:

1 Like

Thanks very much for this.
I followed the link and ended up choosing the HA default (Meteorologisk), which to be honest I didn’t know existed.

Anyway, installed and configured, and now have the following on my Weather Dashboard:

All I need to do now is work out how to make the weather nicer where I live and I’ll be happy :grinning:

Thanks again

Nice! If you flip the graph vertically, weather will improve by the hour :slight_smile:

Which card is that?

If only that would work :grinning: