Orange Pi 3 2GB and 8GB emmc

Hi is now available at Aliexpress the new board Orange Pi 3

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-3-H6-2GB-LPDDR3-8GB-EMMC-Flash-Gigabyte-Ethernet-Port-

I wish to replace Raspberry Pi 3 with this one.
There is a Hassio version compatible with it?
Does someone is using it?

1 Like

I don’t have any info on HASSIO I’m afraid, but why have you chosen this board? What advantages does it have over the Raspberry Pi 3+?

Double ram and emmc instead of sdcard is a big advantage in my book

1 Like

@gpbenton

• H6 Quad core 1,8 GHz powerfull cpu
  • 2 GB ram instead of 1 GB
  • 8 GB eMMC instead of micro sd … is more more safety e speedly
  • 4 USB 3.0 port
1 Like

How much more powerful? I have been thinking of upgrading for a while, but I haven’t seen any figures comparing this with the Pi. If it is that big a jump it would be worth risking the incompatibility, but its hard to make that sort of judgement with some real data.

http://www.orangepi.org/Orange%20Pi%203/

http://www.orangepi.org/Orange%20Pi%203/

I would say the specs talk

Yes, I read the specs, but that gives me no feel about how much faster it would be (1.5, 10 or 100). I’m just looking for some kind of real world comparison to see if it would be worth buying that instead of a Pi 3, or the Odroid HC1, which is another option I am considering.

I dont use a SDC myself but I understand from many posts that the RAM in an RPI is to little and that sd cards is a problem.

I recall watching a video comparing the performance of several single-board computers. I think it was from the ExplainingComputers series (it may have been this one). Anyway, one SBC device had superior hardware specs compared to the others contestants. In pure number-crunching tests, it was the fastest. However, in real-world tests (execution of various software applications) the Raspberry Pi 3 proved to be either its equal or even faster. Why? Operating system optimizations.

That’s why just comparing SBC hardware specs isn’t always the best way to predict real-world performance.

1 Like

As said I dont use a SBC and have never done.

1 Like

From TechRepublic’s article about this SBC:

Unlike the Raspberry Pi, the Orange Pi 3 also lists Android 7.0 as being officially supported on the board, alongside Ubuntu and Debian. That said, none of these OS images are available via the Orange Pi download page as yet, although there are early builds for operating systems designed to run on the Allwinner H6 system-on-a-chip used by the Orange Pi 3.

Historically, Orange Pi board reviews have been critical of poor driver support, missing software, and being stuck with unstable versions of older operating systems.

That throws up the bigger issue when buying rival boards to the Raspberry Pi, which is few competitors offer the same range of stable operating systems and software, and none have such a large online community who can help you if you run into issues.

So whether one uses an SBC or not, when it comes to comes to comparing them, specs alone are not necessarily accurate predictions of real-world performance.

Nevertheless, it’s nice to have choices and I Iook forward to seeing this device reviewed.

1 Like

@123
Which alternative hardware do you suggest to me?
my raspberry pi3 b is nows very slow it spent 6.20 minutes to boot my Hassio

I recommend you consider switching to a platform that has an Intel-based CPU (Linux based on Intel architecture usually has a wider availability of drivers), allows you to expand RAM (handy if you plan to run much more than just Home Assistant) and can easily use an SSD for booting and general storage (expandable, fast, reliable).

There are many posts on this forum by people who have had success switching to the Intel NUC platform. However, it doesn’t have to be a NUC. It could even be an old netbook or mini desktop.

However, one of the problems with using computers not designed to operate like servers is that they cannot be configured to auto-start after a power failure. I’m using an old HP Stream Mini (not for Home Assistant but for another purpose; found one for CDN$100) and its BIOS permits auto-restart after power failure (as do many Single-Board Computers like the RPi as well as Intel NUC). I want to buy another used one but they’re very hard to find (they were discontinued over 3 years ago). Keep that in mind when shopping for a new computer.

EDIT

FWIW, I’m running Home Assistant on a ten year-old netbook (Intel Atom 270) running Lubuntu. It takes about 10 seconds to start Home Assistant … BUT it only uses MQTT-based entities and the Homekit component. There’s almost no time-consuming discovery process (of things like Zwave and Zigbee devices) so that helps to explain why it is speedy. I plan to move it to a mini desktop.

@123
what NUC do douy suggest me?
I think probably NUC based on a Celeron J3455 like NUC6CAYH it’s not much faster than RPi3

It depends on what you plan to run on it. There are owners of Intel NUCs who chose i7 processors because they also intend to run many others applications including using them as Network Video Recorders (NVRs). If all you want to do is run Home Assistant, an i7 is far more than is necessary.

Here’s CPUbenchmark’s comparison of:

• Intel Celeron J3455 (Intel NUC6CAYH)
  • Intel Atom N270 (my HP netbook running Home Assistant)
  • Intel Celeron 2957u (my HP Stream Mini)

You’ll notice the J3455 is well ahead of the N270. Yet, for the way I use Home Assistant, I can’t complain about its performance on the netbook (equipped with the N270).

I have a nuc i5 from gen7. Way overkill but I run my cctv system also on it so its good with some power.

I currently use an RPi 1 B+ to run HA, with 500MB, and 150MB free, so that isn’t a problem.

Its been running for about 4 years now (openhab first, then HA) without any SD Card issues, so that isn’t a problem.

I just need more processing power now because in the last few HA releases the sensor response time has become unacceptably slow for turning on lights, and so I’m looking for comparisons on that. As @123 points out, specs don’t always tell the whole story, and I was looking for some real world comparisons.

@123
from benchmark data seem J3455 have good performances, its price is about 120 eur (without ssd and ram)
could be interesting to find a used Intel NUC6CAYH

I have been playing with an ODroid HC1 ($40 - $60) for the last 2 days running the beta HassOS distribution for ODroid XU4. ODroid is a competitor to Orange Pi so this is somewhat off topic for this thread. I started a new thread with my experience using this SBC: HassOS on ODroid HC1 (compatible with XU4).

1 Like

Anybody test this new Orange Pi 3 with Home Assistant ? Or Orange Pi RK3399 ?