Orange Pi 3 2GB and 8GB emmc

@123
what NUC do douy suggest me?
I think probably NUC based on a Celeron J3455 like NUC6CAYH it’s not much faster than RPi3

It depends on what you plan to run on it. There are owners of Intel NUCs who chose i7 processors because they also intend to run many others applications including using them as Network Video Recorders (NVRs). If all you want to do is run Home Assistant, an i7 is far more than is necessary.

Here’s CPUbenchmark’s comparison of:

• Intel Celeron J3455 (Intel NUC6CAYH)
  • Intel Atom N270 (my HP netbook running Home Assistant)
  • Intel Celeron 2957u (my HP Stream Mini)

You’ll notice the J3455 is well ahead of the N270. Yet, for the way I use Home Assistant, I can’t complain about its performance on the netbook (equipped with the N270).

I have a nuc i5 from gen7. Way overkill but I run my cctv system also on it so its good with some power.

I currently use an RPi 1 B+ to run HA, with 500MB, and 150MB free, so that isn’t a problem.

Its been running for about 4 years now (openhab first, then HA) without any SD Card issues, so that isn’t a problem.

I just need more processing power now because in the last few HA releases the sensor response time has become unacceptably slow for turning on lights, and so I’m looking for comparisons on that. As @123 points out, specs don’t always tell the whole story, and I was looking for some real world comparisons.

@123
from benchmark data seem J3455 have good performances, its price is about 120 eur (without ssd and ram)
could be interesting to find a used Intel NUC6CAYH

I have been playing with an ODroid HC1 ($40 - $60) for the last 2 days running the beta HassOS distribution for ODroid XU4. ODroid is a competitor to Orange Pi so this is somewhat off topic for this thread. I started a new thread with my experience using this SBC: HassOS on ODroid HC1 (compatible with XU4).

1 Like

Anybody test this new Orange Pi 3 with Home Assistant ? Or Orange Pi RK3399 ?

I love my set up now, if you are looking at going away from an SBC, NUCs are a great option.

Does bluetooth_tracker works with your NUC?
I have a NUC8I3BEH and intsalled Hassio in a vm in VIrtualbox… loading a vid image…
Virtualbox detect intel bluetooth device… bat Hassio don’t recognize it.

I can’t answer that, I use the Unifi WiFi tracking component for around the house, and Zanzito via MQTT for GPS tracking.

bluetooth tracker is very very fast to detect people in and out of house, more fast tha any wifi device.
I use bluetooth in addiction to router wifi detection.

If you had Ubiquiti equipment and use Unifi tracking component, you wouldn’t make this comment. But if you are happy using Bluetooth, then no problem.

I’m using the Orange Pi 3. I don’t know how useful my review will be, since this is my first Home Assistant install, so I don’t really have a basis for comparison. I of course wasn’t able to use hass.io or any of the other simpler installation methods, but using the Ubuntu Server image from the Orange Pi site, I was able to follow the venv instructions for installing Home Assistant, and it’s been working great. (one thing to note here: the gpio group does not exist on the Orange Pi Ubuntu Server image, so I had to leave that out - not sure whether that will impact the ability to access the GPIO pins) The only issue I’ve run into so far is something I’m pretty sure is a software/configuration issue: I sometimes am unable to get the frontend to load over the Tor Hidden Service I’ve set up.

In summary: this seems to be very capable hardware, and hasn’t given me any trouble. It helps that I’m rather familiar with Linux since I wasn’t able to use one of the more ready-made installation methods, but it’s been pretty smooth sailing so far. :tangerine::pie:

That link isn’t working for me, do you have another?

Did you tried the Orange Pi Prime Hassio image on your Orange Pi 3?

The Hassio image won’t work for Orange Pi 3 until Hassio is released using at least the Linux 5.2 kernel, which probably won’t happen until Linux releases a new Long Term Support release for Linux 5.x, as it seems to me Hassio is using only LTS releases of Linux kernel. Maybe the OrangePi 3 board support will be backported to 4.14 (used by Hassio) or 4.19 (latest LTS), in which case it can be supported by Hassio.

Some info here:
https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi_3

1 Like

I just installed hass.io on my Orange Pi 3 “Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 5.3.9-sunxi64”
Haven’t tried it very much, but it starts and I am able to create a user.

I used the orangepi-prime setting on the curl command line

1 Like

Bluetooth and wifi works without problems with system on ssd USB 3.0 and with rflink/conbee II? I ask for it because that things doesn’t work properly on raspberry pi 4.

@magpern , por favor, compartilha a imagem de seu home assistant orange pi. Obrigado

Hola eduardo - ¿Qué Tal?

You can install armbian on your sbc and than install HA Container, Core or Supervised (the later officially unsupported for armbian)