Our Google Assistant skill is live!

And it is up to you. It still possible to use itfor free if you just do the extra work yourself

1 Like

Do you know if there are any guides documented on this? To set up the same functionality as with cloud.

If I am not wrong the Google Assistant component is still for use with google cloud

1 Like

cloud: and google_assistant: (or alexa:) are different.

The cloud service is the one you have to pay for, the others are still free.

I assume that the free service goes to the Google or Amazon cloud and are free or am I wrong.The HA cloud cost

If you use the Google Assistant integration (component) and not the HA Cloud then yes it is free. (ditto Amazon). I am not sure why people need someone to keep repeating this!

2 Likes

Say it one more time, just to be safe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I understand it, but man if you look at the documentation I really had to poke around to figure out how the two options work. Considering how popular these assistants are, it should be the one section of the docs that should not be confusing.

Sigh, since I am only a so-so coder, I should volunteer to help with documentation.

Could I use 2 diffrent Google Assistant´s to my Homeassistant?
I want 1google assistant to just have permissions on 20devices.
And the other Google assistant, should have permissions on all devices.

So I thougt I try to “expose” diffrent devices to the diffrent GA´s, but is it do able?

I think so, I remember a person exposing 2 projects…
Anyway, if it doesn’t work, you can use the nabucasa edition and the local edition together

I cant get it to work, and I really want to get it to work without nabucase…
Because mabe I can get it to work with one free and one nabucasa, but if I want 3 diffrent google projects to reach my hass, i think i must use the free

I don’t know , never tested this… :wink:
Why do you want 3 projects anyway?

I don’t mean to sound petty or cheap but I can’t justify the Cloud option at $5 a month. Yes, its only $5, but its every month for the rest of my life. $25 a year or whatever is totally doable in my book, but the idea of paying $5/month forever doesn’t set well with me. For what actual service is being provided $5 a month would seem to me to be quite profitable, and don’t get me wrong, the people providing the service deserve to make a profit, but I think they could expand their user base considerably at $25 a year and still remain plenty profitable.

It’s not profitable as such. They use the money to employ people who work on home assistant. Just added a third employee. Cloud directly funds the development of home assistant and it’s totally your call if you subscribe or not.

5 Likes

I can’t believe that people think $5.00 a month is too much! It’s a small fee to support this free platform. Not to mention how easy it makes things.

Skip Starbucks once a month and it pays for itself! :+1:t2:

I love Home Assistant and everything it stands for.

4 Likes

In some places US$5 is quite a bit compared to average incomes.

I completely understand what you are saying, but the cloud service is completely optional. Everything can still be accomplished using other documented ways. The cloud just makes it easier to get there!

1 Like

There’s nothing about this that is required and that cant be done freely.

1 Like

precisely!

1 Like

I just find it silly people complain about $5 a month. Everything about HA is free and open source, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t require hours of the devs time. I 100% know how to setup outside access to my HA, but decided to support them monetarily with Nabu Casa, as I use HA heavily everyday of my life. It’s become a part of my families life. $5 isn’t too much to pay for that imo.

2 Likes